|Free community consortium||Agrigento (AG)|
|Local name||Sant'Àngilu (Muxaru)|
|Residents||1,241 (Dec 31, 2019)|
|Population density||19 inhabitants / km²|
Location and dates
People already settled in this area in prehistoric times. It is believed that this place was where Kamikos was, according to Greek mythology, an important city of the Sicans . The Moscaria Fort was built in the Middle Ages. This was conquered by the Normans in 1087 . The present parish was founded in 1506.
- Parish church dedicated to the Blessed Virgin from the 18th century
- Necropolis with two types of rock chamber tombs :
- A first type from the 11th-9th centuries Century BC BC, these graves contained u. a. Bronze knives, bronze daggers and clay vessels.
- A second type from the 9th and 5th centuries BC With large dome graves (up to 9 m in diameter); the most important find from these graves is a gold bowl with a relief of a procession of bulls in a circle.
- Municipality of Sant'Angelo Muxaro (Italian)