From 2012 to 2016 he was Senator for Justice and Consumer Protection of the State of Berlin . In 2017 he was directly elected to the 19th German Bundestag in the Berlin-Steglitz-Zehlendorf constituency.
education and profession
Heilmann worked during his from the studienstiftung funded law school (1985-1989) in Bonn and during his legal clerkship in Munich (1990-1993) as a freelance journalist, among others for the FAZ and the issues of the day . Internships were at the McKinsey management consultancy in Munich and the Lufthansa marketing department in New York. In 1990 he founded the advertising agency Delta-Design with Sebastian Turner and Olaf Schumann, which was merged into Scholz & Friends in 1991 . He also studied at Harvard and passed the second state examination in 1993.
For over ten years he was managing partner of the Berlin branch of Scholz & Friends; From 2001 to 2008 he was, together with the longstanding creative head of the agency, Sebastian Turner, CEO of the entire European agency group. From April 2008 to September 2010 he was a member of the Commarco Supervisory Board, the holding company of Scholz & Friends.
In addition, he works in four other corporate groups in the areas of media, corporate investments, Internet and real estate as a shareholder and supervisory board. Since 1991 he has co-founded numerous companies in various industries or financed their development. These include Antenne Sachsen , XING , MyToys.de, Pixelpark and the energy broker Ampere AG . He was also a partner in Facebook until the end of 2010 . After the value had increased tenfold, he sold his shares at a great profit and is now considered wealthy.
Before his appointment as Justice Senator, Heilmann sat on various supervisory boards, advisory boards and boards, including the Berliner Wasserbetriebe, the Kulturkreis der Deutschen Wirtschaft in the BDI , the social internet network betterplace.org , the Medienboard Berlin-Brandenburg and the Sweden-based software provider Cision .
In 1999, Heilmann founded the holding company ECONA AG, which started as an incubator, together with the current board members Bernd Hardes, Dirk Buddensiek and Sebastian Turner.
Between 2008 and 2011 Heilmann played a key role in the development of the Hackesches Quartier, a district around the newly created Litfaßplatz in the historic center of Berlin.
The Association of Berlin Merchants and Industrialists (VBKI) called him in 2010 "one of the most successful entrepreneurs and founders of post-reunification Berlin."
He joined the CDU when he was 16. In the 1980s he was a member of the Bonn Peace Forum . From June 2000 he was the Internet representative of the CDU in Germany. In March 2009, Thomas Heilmann was elected deputy chairman of the Berlin regional association . He was responsible for the election program of the Berlin CDU. In May 2013 he became chairman of the largest CDU district association in Berlin, Steglitz-Zehlendorf. He won against Karl-Georg Wellmann with 85% of the vote, although as a political side entrant he was long considered an outsider.
On January 12, 2012, Heilmann was appointed as the successor to the Berlin Senator for Justice and Consumer Protection , Michael Braun , who resigned after eleven days in 2011 , and sworn in before the House of Representatives ( Senate Wowereit IV , after the resignation of Governing Mayor Klaus Wowereit on December 11, 2014 in the largely unchanged Senate Müller I passed). Heilmann's administration was often praised by the opposition and was largely judged positively in the media. According to a survey, he was one of the most popular politicians in Berlin.
Since the coalition of the SPD and CDU lost its majority in the election for the Berlin House of Representatives in 2016 and a red-red-green coalition was formed, Heilmann resigned from the Senate on December 8, 2016 when the second Senate Müller took office .
After he was Senator for Justice from 2012 to 2016, he missed the election to the Berlin House of Representatives in 2016 . On the one hand, he was defeated in the constituency of Steglitz-Zehlendorf 2 in the election for the direct mandate, on the other hand, due to the fact that the percentage of second votes for the CDU he led, which was 10.6 lower than in 2011, he missed the district list.
For the 2017 federal election , Heilmann competed against Karl-Georg Wellmann , who won this constituency three times in a row from 2005 , in the internal party votes for the CDU candidates in the Berlin-Steglitz-Zehlendorf constituency , as he did in 2013 for the chairmanship of the CDU district association . In the first vote on March 1, 2017, both politicians received 245 votes after several ballots in which another candidate had run. Before the next vote, Wellmann was accused of having falsified party questionnaires, which he denied. In the vote on March 19, 2017, Heilmann finally prevailed with 378 to 252 votes and became a direct candidate for the CDU. He was then able to win the constituency in the Bundestag election on September 24, 2017 with 35.4% of the first votes and moved into the 19th German Bundestag .
In the 19th German Bundestag , Heilmann is a full member of the Digital Agenda Committee and the Committee on Labor and Social Affairs . In addition, he is a deputy member of the Committee for Education, Research and Technology Assessment , the Election Committee and the Study Commission "Vocational Education".
In December 2017, he resigned from the state executive committee of the Berlin CDU.
In 2009 Heilmann was appointed to the board of Save the Children Germany and elected chairman in 2010 . Since 2016 he has been the first German non-executive director on the world board of Save the Children International. Save the Children is the largest independent children's aid organization in the world.
Heilmann grew up in Dortmund and completed his Abitur at the city high school there . His father was the philosophy professor Wolfgang Heilmann , his mother a housewife. He is the fifth of six children.
He lives with his wife in Berlin-Dahlem . The couple have four sons together.
In 2012, Heilmann, together with CDU Senate colleagues Mario Czaja (Health) and Frank Henkel (Interior), pushed an initiative in Berlin to reduce the unpunished personal consumption of cannabis from 15 to 6 grams. The health expert of the SPD Thomas Isenberg , which was in coalition with the CDU at the time in Berlin , saw “no need for action” and said the 15 gram rule had proven its worth, and the coalition agreement between the two parties did not provide for a corresponding reduction. He stressed it was "imperative" that the CDU senators do not make the decision among themselves, but involve the SPD. In addition to the SPD, the Greens, Pirates and Die Linke also spoke out in favor of maintaining the Berlin line.
In the circumcision debate of 2012, Heilmann advocated that circumcisions without medical indication in boys should be exempt from punishment.
The topic of digital administration was a special concern of Heilmann during his time as Justice Senator. However, its role in transforming the administration is controversial.
Heilmann argues with a conservative attitude towards marriage, especially for the opening of marriage to same-sex partnerships.
- Thomas Heilmann, Nadine Schön : NEUSTAAT: Politics and the state have to change: 64 MPs and experts start with themselves - with 103 suggestions. Finanzbuch Verlag , Munich 2020, ISBN 978-3-95972-376-3
- Thomas Heilmann (Ed.): Manual of international marketing. Gabler, Wiesbaden 2005, ISBN 3-8349-0039-7 (English)
- International Marketing Practical Guide. Gabler, Wiesbaden 2006, ISBN 3-8349-0038-9 (German).
- Biography at the German Bundestag
- Literature by and about Thomas Heilmann in the catalog of the German National Library
- Berlin direct candidates Who is in - and who is out? (Berliner Zeitung online, September 24, 2017)
- Heilmann no longer Commarco supervisory board. meedia.de, September 27, 2010
- Newspaper: Facebook partner Heilmann gets out . dts news agency, January 3, 2011, accessed January 4, 2011
- Biography Who's Who Personal Lexicon online, rasscass Medien Content Verlag, accessed on May 18, 2011
- Everything in the box . In: manager-magazin , November 26, 1999 ( d & p media gmbh is also part of the Econa portfolio ( Memento of the original from April 3, 2009 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this note. , from whose IP space the previous edit originates.)
- VBKI Spiegel , No. 220, IV 2010, page 6
- Foreigners in . In: Der Spiegel . No. 21 , 2000 ( online ).
- Regional executive committee of the CDU Berlin
- Heilmann leads the CDU district association Steglitz-Zehlendorf . In: Berliner Zeitung , May 13, 2013
- Sabine Rennefanz: CDU Steglitz-Zehlendorf: Stranger snakes . In: Berliner Zeitung , January 24, 2013
- Braun successor: surprising comeback . In: Berliner Zeitung , January 3, 2012
- Heilmann sworn in as Senator of Justice . ( Page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Welt Online, January 12, 2012
- tagesspiegel.de see also: berliner-kurier.de (top grade 1 for Heilmann) bz-berlin.de
- Berliner Zeitung , September 1, 2013, p. 19 (PDF)
- Elections to the House of Representatives 2016 - Steglitz-Zehlendorf - second votes. Retrieved February 3, 2017 .
- Sabine Beikler: Berlin Southwest CDU not agree on parliamentary candidates. tagesspiegel.de, March 2, 2017, accessed September 30, 2017 .
- Lorenz Maroldt, Sabine Beikler: Counterfeit affair shakes Berlin CDU. In: tagesspiegel.de. March 13, 2017. Retrieved September 30, 2017 .
- Hannes Soltau: Heilmann wins showdown against Wellmann. In: tagesspiegel.de. March 19, 2017. Retrieved September 30, 2017 .
- Bundestag election 2017. Constituency 079: Berlin-Steglitz-Zehlendorf. Final result . The Federal Returning Officer, accessed on March 25, 2018. "Elected constituency applicants: Heilmann, Thomas CDU 35.4%"
- German Bundestag - Biographies. Retrieved June 19, 2020 .
- Save the Children with a new CEO | Non-Profit Organizations and NGOs - News. (No longer available online.) Archived from the original on February 2, 2017 ; accessed on January 21, 2017 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Our global board | Save the Children International. Retrieved January 21, 2017 .
- Heilmann (CDU): “There is no such thing as one dominating topic” . ( bz-berlin.de [accessed June 7, 2018]).
- Grass broadside against stoners . taz.de, May 22, 2012, accessed June 4, 2012.
- CDU is considering tougher action against cannabis users - SPD and opposition reject lowering the exemption limit . Morgenpost.de, May 24, 2012; Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- hemp debate in Berlin - Can a little less be? taz.de, May 29, 2012; Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- Circumcision: Heilmann and the Berliner Weg Tagesspiegel
- There is computer in Berlin's judiciary . ( tagesspiegel.de [accessed on February 3, 2017]).
- CDU politician Heilmann: Why, as a conservative, I am in favor of marriage for everyone. In: Spiegel Online . June 29, 2017. Retrieved June 9, 2018 .
- Sebastian Turner becomes ADC spokesman - new business, April 9, 2000
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German entrepreneur and politician (CDU)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 16, 1964|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Dortmund|