|Original title||Daily Topics|
|Country of production||Germany|
|Year (s)||since 1978|
|length||20 to 30 minutes|
|First broadcast||January 2nd, 1978 on German television|
The Tagesthemen is a news program on the German television station Das Erste . The news journal differs significantly from the Tagesschau in terms of design and content and is regularly broadcast Mondays to Thursdays at 10:15 p.m., Fridays at 9:45 p.m., Saturdays after the 8:15 p.m. broadcast (often a show or a feature film) and on Sundays at 10:45 p.m. The broadcast is usually 30 minutes long Monday through Friday and 20 minutes on the weekend.
For events of particular significance extra expenses are the issues of the day as Tagesthemen Extra inserted into the program, sometimes even before 20 o'clock.
Story and concept
Since January 2, 1978, the Tagesthemen have replaced the late edition of the Tagesschau, which was customary up until then. On the same day, ZDF started with the program heute-journal . The topics of the day were initially broadcast Mondays to Thursdays. Until 1999, the report from Bonn sent instead on Friday , which, however, contained a block of news and in the meantime had a Tagesthemen headline (“the Tagesthemen with the report from Bonn”). In the 1980s, Saturday and Sunday editions were also introduced. The broadcast lasts half an hour Monday to Thursday, and is shorter from Friday to Sunday. In 1999 the report from Bonn became the report from Berlin , now under the editorial responsibility of the ARD capital studio .
Up to 2000, an independent opening fanfare based on the Tagesschau fanfare was used, which was replaced by a new, shared opening melody for both programs that was used until April 19, 2014. Since then, the daily themes have had their own opening music again.
In contrast to the Tagesschau , which is only intended to provide an overview of the news, the daily topics are intended to provide viewers with additional information, overarching contexts and background information. Most of the four to five editorial contributions go beyond what is happening on the day in terms of content and topic.
A news overview of the day's events is taken over by the editorial staff of the Tagesschau . Until 2002, the weather report came from the German Weather Service at the end of the Tagesthemen , in 2002 they switched to Jörg Kachelmann's company Meteomedia , later to Cumulus TV. Since January 1, 2020, the weather report has been produced by the ARD weather competence center at Hessischer Rundfunk in Frankfurt am Main.
Until the end of 2012, the weather report was broadcast in its own short program following the daily topics. The weather report has been part of the program again since January 1, 2013.
The market share of the daily topics has meanwhile decreased with the expansion of the media landscape in Germany, but for a long time it was around 10 percent - thus around 2.0 million viewers per broadcast. The daily topics are among the major opinion-forming journalistic formats in Germany.
Many factors - the shift of the broadcast in the late evening, the fact that there is change of presenters and the intensification of the competition situation - came the issues of the day in 2007 to a rate crisis. At that time, the market share was sometimes below 10 percent.
After the change of moderator in 2007 and the new Realdeko used from 2008, the audience quotas increased again. In 2011 the market share was again relatively stable at 10 percent, but with these figures you still had to admit defeat to the competing program on ZDF , the heute-journal under the leadership of Claus Kleber .
The figures from the previous year continued in 2012, but the ratings could be increased slightly and thus most viewers have been reached for 18 years. According to NDR, there are several reasons for this, not least because since September 2011, as part of the program reform of the First German Television, it has now been broadcasting reliably from Monday to Thursday (with the exception of football games or the like) at 10:15 p.m. On Fridays, the broadcasting time was shortened from 30 minutes to 15 minutes, but the broadcast started at 9:45 p.m., which is before the start of heute-journal on ZDF . On Saturdays there is still no set starting time, while the topics of the day on Sunday now start after the talk show with Anne Will from Berlin at 10:45 p.m. These starting times are still observed today.
In June 2013, Tom Buhrow was elected director of Westdeutscher Rundfunk as the successor to Monika Piel , who had to give up her position due to illness , so he ended his career as a moderator for the daily topics . His office was taken over by Thomas Roth on August 5, 2013 , who had previously been director of the ARD studio in New York City . Ingo Zamperoni became Roth's successor at the beginning of October 2016 .
The program is produced by a team of twelve editors who rotate every two weeks and work seven days for 14 hours each. The average age of the audience is 59 years (as of 2013). The cost of one issue is around 55,000 euros.
On Holy Saturday , April 19, 2014, a new news studio started broadcasting. An 18-meter-wide, semicircular media wall was installed, which is played from behind with seven projectors with 3-D graphics, panorama images, photos and videos. A graphics system corrects distortions in real time. Two separate tables give the moderators more freedom of movement. Thanks to the media wall, difficult issues can be presented more clearly in the form of animated graphics. In addition, they rely more than ever on excellent photojournalism. Journalistically, however, nothing has changed in the concept of the programs. A new opening fanfare was also produced. With the new studio, the daily themes are now also produced in HD .
Until October 1, 1985, the daily topics were presented by changing moderators. Since then there have been three moderators. You alternate with the presentation on a weekly basis.
The moderators write the texts themselves and read them not only from paper, but also from a teleprompter , in order to give the moderation a more relaxed and personal style than with the daily news presented by speakers .
In addition to the moderator, there is also a newscaster in the studio who reads out the compact news block and, especially on weekends, another moderator who presents the sports block.
Regular moderators until 1985
|Wolf von Lojewski||1978||1979|
|Alexander von Bentheim||1978||1980|
|Ernst Dieter Lueg||1978||1985|
Moderators since 1985
|Ulrike Wolf||October 1, 1985||July 23, 1987|
|Hanns Joachim Friedrichs||October 14, 1985||June 27, 1991|
|Sabine Christiansen||4th August 1987||September 1997|
|Ulrich Wickert||July 1, 1991||August 31, 2006|
|Gabi Bauer||September 6, 1997||April 5, 2001|
|Anne Will||April 14, 2001||June 24, 2007|
|Tom Buhrow||September 1, 2006||June 16, 2013|
|Caren Miosga (first moderator)||July 16, 2007||- active -|
|Ingo Zamperoni||January 6, 2013||January 12, 2014|
|Thomas Roth||5th August 2013||October 2nd, 2016|
|Pinar Atalay||March 7, 2014||- active -|
|Ingo Zamperoni (first moderator)||October 24, 2016||- active -|
|Helge Fuhst||January 8, 2020||- active -|
|Ulrich Deppendorf||Vacation replacements 1993–1999|
|Susanne Holst||Vacation replacements 2004–2012 (also regular moderator from March to September 2010 as pregnancy replacement for Caren Miosga)|
|Gerhard Delling||Vacation replacement 2005|
|Ingo Zamperoni||Holiday substitutes 2012–2013 (regular moderator 2013–2014 and since 2016)|
|Susanne Stichler||Representation (2017)|
|Marcus Bornheim||Sickness representation 2018–2019|
|Helge Fuhst||Illness representation since 2019|
Compare also Tagesschau
Reporting and commentary in 1999–2009
The large-scale study by the Otto Brenner Foundation by Hans-Jürgen Arlt and Wolfgang Storz from March 2010 on the subject of economic journalism in times of crisis - on how the mass media dealt with financial market policy took a detailed look at the way in which ARD worked from spring 1999 to autumn 2009, among other things Formats the ARD formats Tagesschau and Tagesthemen . The study comes to the conclusion that - in contrast to the leading print media - they had failed not only in terms of their craftsmanship as in previous years, but also in the face of the content-related challenges of reporting on the crisis itself. The editorial team works “poorly in terms of perspectives”, the focus is on the officially most important actors: representatives of the German government first and foremost, bank representatives, a few academics and their points of view. "This is a narrowing of the perspective with an enormous loss of reality, which can be classified as a serious journalistic error."
Language and media level
Ulrich Wickert criticized the FAZ in 2009 that news broadcasts provided “fragmentary information and sloppy phrasing, entertainment seems to be the most important thing”. He also noticed a linguistic deterioration in the topics of the day , the authors "for the most part not even mastered the correct sentence structure". The “cliché language of politics” and the “shorthand of the news agencies” would be adopted. Due to the deficiencies in the content, he comes to the conclusion: "The makers seem to have lost the awareness of their public service mandate to provide a basic supply of political information." In view of the election reporting, he judged: "Apparently there is a lack of understanding for the basic political service. ”However, there is not only a lack of a sense for the dissemination of important, current political content, but even more the classification.
Accusation of administrative dominance to the detriment of quality
The Hanns Joachim Friedrichs Prize winner Christoph Maria Fröhder , who had worked for ARD since 1965, criticized Tagesschau and Tagesthemen during his "symbolic farewell" in February 2015 due to an inadequate journalistic environment, as "structural agents" in the administration of good journalism " would suffocate ”. “It's mostly not about journalism or quality, it's just about power.” Quality defects are the result. For example, foreign images are not checked critically enough, there is a risk of being instrumentalized. In addition to linguistic “loosing”, Fröhder pointed out that “apparently relevant facts were put together” instead of “questioning them”.
Reporting in the criminal case Maria L.
The lack of reporting on the success of the investigation in the case of the raped and murdered medical student Maria L. in Freiburg was criticized by numerous media. The editors of the Tagesschau later publicly justified themselves for not having reported on the case in the 8 pm main edition on December 3, because it was a case of merely "regional importance". For the time being, it was not reported in the daily topics either. The 19 o'clock main edition of heute news on ZDF took up the message. This in turn generated another broad media coverage in the course of which the star spoke of those responsible at ARD having provided “an outrageous explanation for their ignorance”. Two days later, the ARD reported in the daily topics in a prominent place and also asked Chancellor Angela Merkel about the case.
In 2017, the Tagesthemen were awarded the Golden Camera award in the Best Information category together with heute journal and RTL aktuell . On behalf of the production team, presenter Caren Miosga accepted the award. On this occasion, Miosga was represented by Susanne Stichler .
- On August 12, 2014, Caren Miosga honored Hollywood actor Robin Williams , who died the day before , by moderating the program while standing on the news desk. With this gesture, she alluded to The Dead Poets Club , one of Williams' most famous films, in the final scene of which students stand on their desks to pay their respects to their teacher.
- The anniversary broadcast on January 2, 2018 for the 40th anniversary of the broadcast was moderated by the current moderators Caren Miosga and Ingo Zamperoni together with the former moderators Gabi Bauer, Tom Buhrow, Sabine Christiansen, Thomas Roth, Ulrich Wickert and Anne Will. Susanne Daubner read the message block .
- The duration of contributions is generally around 2:30 minutes.
On November 3, 2016, Jan Hofer had to cancel the broadcast for health reasons after the first message block and Caren Miosga took over his second message block. In 2018, Ingo Zamperoni was mentioned in a previous recording of an interview for the topics of the day by Guido Cantz , Katarina Witt and Linda Zervakis as part of the program Do you understand fun? tricked.
- Johannes Mehne: The news journals “Tagesthemen” and “heute journal”. Springer VS , Wiesbaden 2013, ISBN 978-3-658-01649-4 .
- Michael Reufsteck , Stefan Niggemeier : The television lexicon . Goldmann, Munich 2005, ISBN 3-442-30124-6 .
- Tagesthemen in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- sbznet.de: Ulrich Wickert: “Colorful and loose flaky is not enough” - Interview with Ulrich Wickert
- Video archive of the ARD news broadcasts from 2007 to today
- Daily topics live and as video on demand in the Das Erste Mediathek
- Tagesthemen-EXTRA on the Wulff cause
- Hans-Jürgen Jakobs: Topics of the day in the quota low - past the audience. In: sueddeutsche.de. May 17, 2010, accessed December 14, 2014 .
- quotenmeter.de-comparison of daily themes vs heute-journal , article from March 24, 2011, Timo Niemeier - accessed on October 7, 2013
- "Tagesthemen": Best number of viewers for 18 years , article from January 4, 2013, Alexander Krei - accessed October 7, 2013
- Carolin Emcke : Every day evening . In: Zeitmagazin . No. 26 , June 20, 2013, p. 22-32 ( online ).
- An unprecedented wave of indignation spills over public television . In: DER SPIEGEL . ( spiegel.de [accessed on October 6, 2017]).
- GEZ and TV fees - are ARD and ZDF allowed to collect more? In: bild.de . ( bild.de [accessed on October 6, 2017]).
- New Tagesschau-Studio starts operations on Holy Saturday 2014 ( memento from April 18, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) on tagesschau.de , April 15, 2014. Accessed on April 18, 2014.
- Thomas Roth is to become the first moderator of the daily topics. In: tagesspiegel.de. Retrieved December 14, 2014 .
- Topics of the day : Zamperoni goes to Washington , DWDL.de on October 18, 2013 - accessed on October 18, 2013
- Alexander Krei: "Tagesthemen": Roth becomes Buhrow's successor. DWDL.de, June 22, 2013, accessed on June 22, 2013 .
- Ingo Zamperoni takes over the "Tagesthemen". In: www.haz.de. Retrieved October 2, 2016 .
- "BusinessTimes of Crisis - On the Mass Media Dealing with Financial Market Policy" ( Memento of the original from August 21, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Summary of the study on otto-brenner-stiftung.de
- Ulrich Wickert: Why are the critics so mild? In: FAZ.net . November 19, 2009, accessed December 14, 2014 .
- Colleagues scolding: ARD man Fröhder castigates "Tagesschau" and "Tagesthemen" on spiegel.de
- dpa / ott: 8 pm news: “Tagesschau” omitted the Freiburg message. In: welt.de . December 4, 2016, accessed October 7, 2018 .
- ARD collapses! “Tagesthemen” now report on the Maria L. case , Focus online, December 5, 2016.
- Why Jan Hofer had to cancel the “Tagesthemen” on faz.de.
- "Super sexy": Katarina Witt digs Ingo Zamperoni on abendzeitung-muenchen.de