Boorabbin National Park
|Boorabbin National Park|
|Location:||Western Australia , Australia|
|Specialty:||Heath and bushland, light eucalyptus forest|
|Next city:||43 mile (s) from Southern Cross|
The park forms an approximately 7 km wide strip on both sides along the Great Eastern Highway . It is 70 km west of Southern Cross and 120 km east of Coolgardie . In the east it borders directly on the Goldfields Woodlands National Park .
It takes its name from a nearby settlement that was founded in 1898 to supply the steam locomotives with water to and from the gold fields further west. The word Boorabbin is the Aboriginal name for a rock on the edge of the national park.
Boorabbin National Park is located on a plateau, the floor of which consists of old, weathered and depleted sand that was deposited over 50 million years ago. Despite the very few nutrients, diverse, species-rich vegetation thrives here, ranging from Kwongan heath to open woodland and Mallee bush.
On December 30, 2007, three truck drivers who had to wait in front of a roadblock on the Great Eastern Highway in Coolgardie because of the bush fire were killed in the park and they lifted and drove against the rules. They were caught in the fire, tried to turn but did not escape. The bush fire burned for another two weeks until it was extinguished by the fire departments , who then lifted the roadblock.
The fire burned an area of more than 7,500 hectares .
- Official site of the park (English)
- Management Plan 1994–2004 - Goldfields Region (English, pdf; 817 kB)
- Australia Easy Read - Road and 4WD Atlas . Hema Maps, Brisbane 2007, ISBN 978-1-86500-395-5 .
- Emergency Management Authority Disasters Database . Archived from the original on July 29, 2012. Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved May 1, 2010.
- ABC News - Lightning sparks six fires . Retrieved May 1, 2010.
- Department of Environment and Conservation . Archived from the original on March 20, 2011. Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved May 1, 2010.