|German title||CSI: On the trail of the perpetrators (Seasons 1-11)
CSI: Vegas (Seasons 12-15)
|Original title||CSI: Crime Scene Investigation|
|Country of production||United States|
episode 3.15 60 minutes
|Episodes||337 in 15 seasons ( List )|
|genre||Crime , drama|
|Theme music||The Who - Who Are You|
|idea||Anthony E. Zuiker|
|First broadcast||October 6, 2000 (USA) on CBS|
|August 21, 2001 on SRF 1|
CSI: Vegas , up to and including season eleven CSI: On the trail of the perpetrators (in Switzerland: CSI - Las Vegas ; Original title: CSI: Crime Scene Investigation ) was an American television series that demonstrated the work of the crime scene group of the criminal investigation department - and crime scene depicts ( English Crime Scene investigation : Crime Scene investigation '). The series is set in Las Vegas and ran in the United States from 2000 to 2015 on CBS . There she achieved the highest ratings. The series is also very popular in Europe.
Executive producers of the series are Jerry Bruckheimer and William Petersen . Most of the episodes were shot in Los Angeles and only two to three episodes per season in Las Vegas. After 15 seasons and 335 episodes, the series ended on September 27, 2015 with a two-hour television film. In this, the former leading actors William Petersen and Marg Helgenberger returned in their old roles.
The series has three offshoots , the first two played in Miami (2002–2012) and New York (2004–2013), the third deals with the Cyber Crime Division (2015–2016) of the FBI . If only CSI or C. S. I. is mentioned, the first series is meant.
The starting point of an episode is usually a death, which is usually followed by another crime. The crime scene group splits up to investigate both cases. The four CSI series are based on the Whodunit principle (perpetrator unknown), with genetic engineering being of great help to the criminalists. In almost all episodes of the series, two or more murders are investigated in parallel and, as a rule, also solved. This differentiates them from actual police work, where cases are not solved in the forensic departments. Occasionally two cases are related and investigative groups need to work together to identify the perpetrator (s). The members of the CSI team work independently of each other under the direction of their superior, who uses them according to their special skills.
Visual stylistic devices
One of the stylistic devices of the CSI series is the visual implementation of the securing of traces and evidence down to the microscopic smallest detail. A visual effect is e.g. B. the representation of a ball that flies through space in slow motion, or the behavior of human tissue at cell level under certain conditions. The company Zoic Studios is responsible for the visual effects , which is also used in other television productions such as B. Firefly or Buffy - Under the Vampire Slayer . DVD publications reveal that for reasons of cost and time, CGI effects are often not generated, but enlarged models of blood vessels, bones and the like are used, in which a camera is used in time lapse, e.g. B. simulates the trajectory.
The background music ("off-music") consists entirely of modern, non-symphonic timbres and rhythmic elements of the rock, pop and techno genre. As with other television productions by Jerry Bruckheimer , there was a consequent departure from a symphonic or orchestral dominated film music consisting of strings, wind instruments, choral singing and piano. The song Who Are You was re-recorded as opening music by the rock band The Who .
References to reality
For the most part, the series does not correspond to reality. The real crime scene investigators only examine the crime scene for traces and reconstruct the course of events. They do not conduct investigations, interrogations, arrests and accesses , work in the laboratory or follow the case to the end as in the series . It is only in some areas of the United States that a CSI investigator presents the forensic material in court.
“In the late 1980s, LA Law produced a whole generation of would-be lawyers influenced by the vision of winning over juries with their passionate eloquence . Now it appears that novel series like coroner Dr. Leo Dalton , Waking the Dead, and CSI have the same effect on the number of students applying for a science subject at universities. The latest figures from Universities & Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) show that there has been a more than four percent increase in the number of students who want to take courses in chemistry, medicine, biology and agriculture. "
The series has been repeatedly criticized for portraying sexual minorities in clichéd stereotypes.
Cast and dubbing
- from season 7
- from season 6
- Germany :
- Austria : ORF eins and Puls 4
- Switzerland : SF 1 (2001-2003), since 2005 3+ (under the title CSI - Las Vegas )
|Airtime||Season start||Season finale||Television season||Ranking *||Viewers (million)||Season start||Season finale||Spectators (total)|
|1||Fridays 9:00 p.m.
(until January 12, 2001) ,
Thursday 9:00 p.m.
(from February 1, 2001)
|October 6, 2000||May 17, 2001||2000-2001||10.||17.80||September 5, 2001||February 27, 2002||1.05 million (3.3% employee)|
|2||Thursdays at 9:00 p.m.||September 27, 2001||May 16, 2002||2001-2002||2.||23.69||September 4, 2002||February 19, 2003||1.45 million (4.5% employees)|
|3||September 26, 2002||May 15, 2003||2002-2003||1.||26.20||August 27, 2003||February 11, 2004||1.74 million (5.4% MA). 14 to 49 year olds: 8.1%|
|4th||September 25, 2003||May 20, 2004||2003-2004||2.||25.27||September 15, 2004||February 16, 2005||3.11 million (9.9% employees)|
|5||September 23, 2004||May 19, 2005||2004-2005||2.||26.26||January 4, 2006||May 31, 2006||3.84 million (11.8% employees)|
|6th||September 22, 2005||May 18, 2006||2005-2006||3.||24.86||November 9, 2006||April 12, 2007||4.65 million (14.8% employees)|
|7th||September 21, 2006||May 17, 2007||2006-2007||4th||20.51||September 13, 2007||September 4, 2008||4.01 million (13.2%)|
|8th||September 27, 2007||May 15, 2008||2007-2008||5.||18.06||September 11, 2008||April 9, 2009||4.16 million (14.1%)|
|9||October 9, 2008||May 14, 2009||2008-2009||4th||19.58||April 16, 2009||September 9, 2010||3.80 million (13.2%)|
|10||September 24, 2009||May 20, 2010||2009-2010||12.||14.92||September 16, 2010||May 5, 2011||3.38 million (14.9%)|
|11||September 23, 2010||May 12, 2011||2010-2011||12.||13.52||September 1, 2011||April 26, 2012||3.13 million (14.0%)|
|12||Wednesdays at 10:00 p.m.||September 21, 2011||May 9, 2012||2011–2012||21st||12.49||January 8, 2013||May 28, 2013||3.66 million (10.7%)|
|13||September 26, 2012||May 15, 2013||2012-2013||23.||11.63||17th September 2013||4th March 2014||3.25 million (10.3%)|
|14th||September 25, 2013||May 7, 2014||2013-2014||18th||11.86||March 11, 2014||May 5, 2015||2.87 million (9.2%)|
|15th||Sundays at 10:00 p.m.||18th September 2014||February 15, 2015||2014-2015||TBD||TBD||May 12, 2015||TBA||TBD|
* Ranked among the most viewed TV shows of the respective television season in the USA.
** First part of the season divided into two blocks.
CSI has existed since 2003 : On the trail of criminals, also on DVD. Bonus material can be found on the DVDs of a box, usually between 15 and 90 minutes running time. The season 8.2 was released on May 29, 2009. The season 9.1 was released on December 4, 2009. The season 9.2 was released on June 11, 2010. The season 10.1 was released on January 14, 2011. Season 10.2 was released on June 17, 2011.
On January 13, 2012, the latest release on the German market was Season 11.1. On March 5, 2010 the seasons 1 to 8 appeared as complete seasons in the distribution of Universum Film GmbH . In each box, these combine all the content that was previously included in the half-seasons in a new design and new packaging. Each complete season thus contains 6 discs with all episodes of a season and the bonus material. The earlier half-seasons will no longer be reproduced and will therefore expire shortly. Half of the current seasons will continue to be available on DVD.
On November 26, 2010, the 9th season was released as a complete box.
A box with the crossover episodes and a DVD with the double episode Grabesstille (season 5, episodes 24 and 25), directed by Quentin Tarantino , were also released.
Several books have been published on the series:
- Max Allan Collins : CSI - City of Sin , VGS Verlagsges., August 2002, ISBN 3-8025-2967-7
- Max Allan Collins: CSI - Death in the Ice , VGS Verlagsges., April 2003, ISBN 3-8025-3237-6
- Max Allan Collins: CSI - The burden of proof , VGS Verlagsges., November 2003, ISBN 3-8025-3281-3
- Max Allan Collins: CSI - Double Game , VGS Verlagsges., May 2005, ISBN 3-8025-3484-0
- Max Allan Collins: CSI - Tödlicher Errtum , VGS Verlagsges., May 2005, ISBN 3-8025-3346-1
- Max Allan Collins: CSI - The Promise , VGS Verlagsges., May 2005, ISBN 3-8025-3472-7
- Max Allan Collins: CSI - Killing Game , VGS Verlagsges., October 2005, ISBN 3-8025-3485-9
- Max Allan Collins: CSI - In the profile of death , VGS Verlagsges., September 2006, ISBN 3-8025-3498-0
- Max Allan Collins: CSI - In Extremis , VGS Verlagsges., November 2007, ISBN 3-8025-3587-1
- Jerome Preisler : CSI - Death in the Desert , VGS Verlagsges., October 2008, ISBN 3-8025-1785-7
For the first CSI series, the computer games CSI: Crime Scene Investigation , CSI: Dark Motives , CSI: Mord in 3 Dimensions (English: 3 Dimensions of Murder ) and CSI: Clear Evidence (English: Hard Evidence ) are available. 2009, the fifth game appeared CSI: Deadly Intent (English: Deadly Intent ), in October 2010, the sixth game : CSI Fatal Conspiracy (: English CSI: Fatal Conspiracy ). All games are point-and-click adventures .
There is an interactive exhibition on the series at the MGM Grand hotel casino in Las Vegas. In three different crime scenes, visitors can first take in evidence, which then has to be processed in the laboratory. This happens under the virtual guidance of the CSI team.
- In the penultimate episode of season 2 (2.22, 45, death in Miami (cross-jurisdictions) ) the teams from Las Vegas and Miami meet. This episode is featured in some episode guides as a pilot for CSI: Miami . The original name for this type of episode is Backdoorpilot .
- The episode 3.15 (61, Die Schaumparty ( Lady Heather's Box )) is about 20 minutes longer than usual.
- For the consequences of 24.05 (116) and 25.05 (117, Grabesstille (Grave Danger) ) wrote Quentin Tarantino screenplay and directed. He received an Emmy nomination for this in 2005 . He had already taken up the motif of being buried alive in 2004 in his film Kill Bill - Volume 2 .
- In ep. 5.25, Hollywood legend Tony Curtis made a guest appearance at Quentin Tarantino's request and played himself in the process.
- Episode 6.21 (138, Teamwork ( Rashomama )) contains an allusion to the film Sin City , which is emphasized by the black and white effects (exception: blood is shown in red) and the narration of the story by Greg Sanders in the background.
- In the 7th season, in the episodes: 7.12 – Jung schön und tot, 7.13 – Drom, 7.14 – Fleischmarkt, 7.15 – corrections, Liev Schreiber has a guest role. He plays the detective Michael Keppler.
- In the 7th season, several episodes deal with a “model-making killer” (in the original “The Miniature Killer”). The CSI team believes they have caught the real culprit in episode 7.10 (151, Stupid ran ( Loco Motives )). However, this one commits suicide. When another model is later sent to Grissom, the laboratory technicians investigate behind Grissom's back and get closer and closer to the actual perpetrator.
- Episode 8.06 (171, Mordlust ( Who and What )) is a crossover with the series Without a Trace , episode 6.06 (124) Where and Why . The two episodes aired in the US on the same day. In Germany, the series run on RTL and kabel eins . RTL showed the first episode on October 16, 2008 and kabel eins only showed the second episode with the new Without-a-Trace episodes in spring 2009.
- In episode 8.15 (180, Vulcans in Vegas ( The Theory of Everything )) the MythBusters have a cameo .
- Episode 8.16 (181, Who is the star in the snake's nest? ( Two and a Half Deaths )) is a crossover with the Two and a Half Men episode 5.17 ( A corpse for the wedding ). The scriptwriters wrote an episode of the other series.
- Episode 10.07 (213, Journey to the End of Morals - Part 3 ( The Lost Girls (3) )) is one of three crossover episodes with CSI: Miami (8.07, A Journey into Fear - Part 1 ( Bone Voyage ( 1) )) and CSI: NY (6.07, Journey into the Abyss - Part 2 ( Hammer Down (2) )). These three episodes were broadcast on ORF on November 18, 2010 and on RTL on November 23, 2010.
- Episode 13.13 (286, Wein zu Blut ( In Vino Veritas )) was broadcast on December 10, 2013 on RTL and is a crossover with CSI: NY episode 9.15 ( Seth and Apep ), which was broadcast on March 21, 2014 by VOX was broadcast.
- In episode 13.22 (295, Skin In The Game ) Black Sabbath has a cameo with Ozzy Osbourne, who is back in the group .
- CSI: Miami , the first offshoot, started in the US in September 2002 and was discontinued in May 2012.
- CSI: NY , the second branch, launched in the US in September 2004 and was discontinued in May 2013.
- CSI: Cyber , the third offshoot, launched in the US on March 4, 2015 and was discontinued in May 2016.
- CSI: Vegas in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- CSI: Vegas at Fernsehserien.de
- Official CBS website
- Official website of RTL
- Info, episodes and news about the series at Serienjunkies.de
- Link catalog on the topic of CSI at curlie.org (formerly DMOZ )
- TV Ratings: CBS Wins As Bones, Fringe, Survivor, CSI, Mentalist All Up; Marriage Ref Series Low
- Nielsen ratings, Feb. 12-18
- Michael Ausiello: CSI Canceled, Farewell Movie Event Eyed for Fall With William Petersen and Marg Helgenberger Set to Return . In: Deadline.com . May 13, 2015. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- cf. CSI's Mixed Track Record on LGBT Characters ( Memento of the original from October 19, 2006 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Petersen quits the service , Spiegel Online , July 15, 2008
- http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2002-05-20#tv2 IMDb.com
- quotemeter.de : Odds check: TV season 2003/2004 (final value deviated by 0.1 percentage points).
- ABC Medianet 03-04 ( Memento of February 8, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- ABC Medianet 04-05 ( Memento of March 10, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- ABC Medianet 05-06 ( Memento of March 10, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- quotemeter.de : Oddscheck: "CSI"
- 06-07 Primetime wrap ( Memento from May 28, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- quotemeter.de : Quota check: "CSI: On the trail of the perpetrators"
- http://abcmedianet.com/web/dnr/dispDNR.aspx?id=052808_06 ABC Medianet 07-08
- Announcement of the 8th season on RTL
- Wettenmeter.de : Odds check 8th season
- ABC Medianet: SEASON RANKINGS (THROUGH 3/1) , accessed on March 8, 2009
- Wettenmeter.de : Odds check 11th season
- Final 2009-10 Broadcast Primetime Show Average Viewership . TV by the Numbers. June 16, 2010. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- quotemeter.de : Oddscheck CSI Season 10
- 2010-11 Season Broadcast Primetime Show Viewership Averages . In: Tvbythenumbers.com . June 1, 2011. Accessed June 1, 2011.
- Wettenmeter.de : Oddscheck CSI Season 11
- Bill Gorman: Complete List Of 2011-12 Season TV Show Viewership: 'Sunday Night Football' Tops, Followed By 'American Idol', 'NCIS' & 'Dancing With The Stars' . In: TV by the Numbers . May 24, 2012. Retrieved May 25, 2012.
- quotemeter.de : Odds check 12th season
- Sara Bible: Complete List Of 2012-13 Season TV Show Viewership: 'Sunday Night Football' Tops, Followed By 'NCIS,' 'The Big Bang Theory' & 'NCIS: Los Angeles' . In: TV by the Numbers . May 29, 2013. Retrieved September 4, 2013.
- Quotenmeter.de : Quote Check 13.Staffel
- Quotenmeter.de : Quote Check 14.Staffel
- CSI DVDs distributed by Universum Film GmbH ( Memento of the original from September 23, 2009 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Peter Luley: CSI-Finale: Dig deeper with Tarantino , Spiegel Online , May 31, 2006
- CSI: The Experience Las Vegas. Retrieved February 1, 2017 (American English).
- RTL shows crossover episodes of the three "CSI" series in November
- Kate Stanhope: Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath to Debut New Song on CSI Season Finale . In: tvguide.com . April 10, 2013. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- Amanda Kondolojy: CBS Announces March Premiere Dates for 'Battle Creek' and 'CSI: Cyber' . In: TV by the Numbers . December 5, 201. Retrieved December 5, 2014.