A rank , degree or rank denotes the position of a person within a defined hierarchy in the military , but also in authorities such as the police and civil organizations such as the fire brigade or other aid organizations . The rank is indicated by badges or marks on the uniform or headgear . Other uniform features can also provide information about the rank. In Germany, the position of civil servants in terms of status law and the official title are comparable with the rank or rank of a soldier in the Bundeswehr.
The rank is not to be confused with the position .
A higher rank usually requires a higher salary , but not necessarily a higher subordinate relationship . Rather, this can also be justified by the position , seniority , area of responsibility or individual orders. Due to the provisions of the Superiors Ordinance (VorgV), it is possible that a lower rank has authority to command a higher rank. In general, this is unusual; in certain situations, for example in the security service, but everyday.
Rank badges can be on the collar ( collar tab ), on the sleeve (sleeve braids), on the shoulder ( epaulettes ) or on the chest. They can be sewn on (fabric badges), buttoned or looped. In addition, career group badges (such as a cap braid), salary group badges ( worn on the sleeve of the US armed forces ) and function badges (such as "OvWa" / officer from the security service , "operations management" or similar as a cord, badge, armband or back label) provide information about rank , official position and task of a uniform wearer.
Every combatant , particularly members of regular armed forces, is entitled to military rank . It facilitates the classification of the individual soldier in the military hierarchy. Orders and obedience, the duty of greeting and, in some cases, the area of responsibility are also regulated via the military rank . Each rank is - z. B. in the armed forces - assigned a salary , this can be differentiated depending on the area of responsibility (e.g. for a colonel usually A 16, for a colonel as brigade commander B3 of the federal salary order (BBesO)). The advancement is obtained by the military. Demand (use), qualification (existence of raceway courses) or seniority .
- Among the NCOs, there are NCOs without portepee and NCOs with portepee .
- Among the officers there are the rank groups of lieutenants , captains , staff officers and the generals .
In contrast to the grade groups, it is not the grade reached, but the desired grade that is decisive in the career groups. Soldiers from different career groups are trained and used differently.
Organizations with ranks
- Belgian Armed Forces ranks
- Ranks of the Bundeswehr
- Ranks of the Austrian Armed Forces
- French Armed Forces ranks
- Ranks of the Israel Defense Forces
- Ranks of the Italian armed forces
- Croatian Armed Forces ranks
- Grade of the Swiss Army
- Ranks of the Russian Armed Forces
- Polish armed forces ranks
- United States Armed Forces Ranks :
- Badge of rank of the Austro-Hungarian armed forces
- Ranks of the German Army (German Empire)
- Ranks of the Imperial Navy
- Ranks of the armed forces
- Ranks of the National People's Army
- Ranks of the People's Navy
- Ranks of the Austrian security executive
- Ranks of the national policy
- Ranks of the Italian police forces
- British Police ranks
- Official titles of the German police
- Official designations of the Federal Border Guard
- Official titles of the Federal Police
- Official designations of the railway police
- Official registration number of the Australian Border Guard
Ranks of the fire brigade in Germany
- Ranks of the fire brigade in Baden-Württemberg
- Ranks of the fire brigade in Bavaria
- Ranks of the fire brigade in Berlin
- Ranks of the fire brigade in Brandenburg
- Ranks of the fire brigade in Bremen
- Ranks of the fire brigade in Hamburg
- Ranks of the fire brigade in Hessen
- Ranks of the fire brigade in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania
- Ranks of the fire brigade in Lower Saxony
- Ranks of the fire brigade in North Rhine-Westphalia
- Ranks of the fire brigade in Rhineland-Palatinate
- Ranks of the fire brigade in Saarland
- Ranks of the fire brigade in Saxony
- Ranks of the fire brigade in Saxony-Anhalt
- Ranks of the fire brigade in Schleswig-Holstein
- Ranks of the fire brigade in Thuringia
- Ranks of the fire brigade in Austria
- Ranks of the fire brigade in Switzerland
- Fire Service Ranks in the United States
- Ranks of the Deutsche Reichsbahn
- Official designations of the German customs administration
- Federal Forest Administration
- Ranks of the Austrian Red Cross
German Democratic Republic
- Service title for civil servants