In 1968 she won the silver medal in the 800 m at the Olympic Games in Mexico City behind the American Madeline Manning and ahead of the Dutch Mia Gommers . Over the same distance, she was fifth at the European Athletics Championships in Athens and won silver at the European Athletics Indoor Championships in 1971 and 1972.
In 1978 she became European indoor champion over 1500 m. In the Balkan Games in 1979, she was positive for anabolic steroids tested . The resulting ban for this violation of the doping regulations was reduced from 18 to eight months, so that they could start at the 1980 Olympic Games in Moscow. There she was eighth over 1500 m.
- 800 m: 1: 57.39 min, August 28, 1977, Bucharest
- 1000 m : 2: 36.3 min, July 7th 1977, Poiana Brașov
- 1500 m: 3: 58.57 min, June 16, 1979, Bucharest
- Hall: 4: 05.4 min, March 14, 1978, Milan
- Névmutató: Silai Ilona. In: Erdélyi Magyar Adatbank. August 23, 2004, accessed May 6, 2018 (Hungarian).
- Olympic Review: Within the IFs (PDF; 386 kB). 1980.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Romanian middle distance runner|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 14, 1941|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Cluj-Napoca|