Leni Breymaier (born April 26, 1960 in Ulm ) is a politician ( SPD ), trade unionist and has been a member of the German Bundestag since 2017. From October 22, 2016 to November 24, 2018 she was chairwoman of the SPD Baden-Württemberg . She has been a member of the German Bundestag for the Aalen - Heidenheim constituency since September 24, 2017 (elected to number one of the SPD Baden-Württemberg). In the Bundestag she is part of the parliamentary left , which forms the left wing of the SPD. Breymaier is a full member of the Committee on Family, Seniors, Women and Youth and a deputy member of the Committee on Labor and Social Affairs . In June 2019 Leni Breymaier and her Bundestag colleague Frank Heinrich ( CDU ) founded the parliamentary group "Prostitution where?" founded.
Life and work
Breymaier trained as a retail clerk and qualified for a trainee . She was initially a member of the German Employees' Union and was a full-time union secretary for them from 1982 . From 2002 to 2007 she was deputy state chairwoman of the German Federation of Trade Unions and from 2007 to November 2016 she was state district manager of the United Services Union in Baden-Württemberg . She was a member of the State Court of Justice (since December 5, 2015: Constitutional Court ) for the state of Baden-Württemberg as a judge from 2008 to 2016 . She has lived in Eislingen / Fils with her husband since 1986 .
Breymaier has been a member of the SPD since 1982 and is particularly involved in pension policy, gender equality policy and social policy. In November 2009 she was elected deputy state chairman of the SPD Baden-Württemberg . After the SPD had achieved its worst result to date in the state elections in Baden-Württemberg on March 13, 2016 with 12.7 percent of the votes and consequently left the state government , state chairman Nils Schmid announced his withdrawal from the party chairmanship. The party-left Breymaier was elected on October 22, 2016 at the state party conference in Heilbronn with 85 percent of the vote as the new state chairman. Breymaier elected the non-binding member's vote on the party chairmanship in Baden-Württemberg with 9,176 votes and their challenger Lars Castellucci received 9,137 votes. Breymaier then announced that he would not stand for re-election at the party congress on November 24, 2018. Instead, the chairman of the parliamentary group, Andreas Stoch , took office and prevailed by eight votes ahead of Castellucci.
The state parliament of Baden-Württemberg elected Leni Breymaier as a member of the 13th, 14th and 16th Federal Assemblies for the election of the Federal President of the Federal Republic of Germany.
In the Bundestag, Leni Breymaier is a full member of the Committee on Family, Seniors, Women and Youth . She is also a deputy member of the Committee on Labor and Social Affairs and the Committee on European Union Affairs .
In 2004, Breymaier was awarded the Barbara Künkelin Prize by the city of Schorndorf for the Breast Cancer Quality Offensive initiative . She was chair of the board of trustees of the Carlo Schmid Foundation . Leni Breymaier is co-founder and board member at Sisters eV Breymaier calls for a sex sale ban and advocates the Nordic model .
- Leni Breymaier's website
- Website of the SPD Baden-Württemberg
- Leni Breymaier on parliament watch.de
- Portrait: Leni Breymaier - Keeping the people in view , in: Newspaper of the Evangelical Church District Geislingen (Steige), No. 10 (2007/2008) of July 1, 2007 (PDF; 2.3 MB)
- German Bundestag: Biography of Leni Breymaier. In: bundestag.de. German Bundestag, accessed on December 23, 2016 .
- German Bundestag - Biographies. Retrieved December 17, 2019 .
- Leni Breymaier: News from the Bundestag - Leni Breymaier. Retrieved December 17, 2019 .
- Leni Breymaier, Member of the Bundestag. September 25, 2017. Retrieved December 17, 2019 .
- Reiner Ruf: Just not a new suit wearer. In: Stuttgarter-Zeitung.de. Stuttgarter Zeitung Verlagsgesellschaft mbH, June 4, 2016, accessed on December 23, 2016 .
- Party left Breymaier wants to lead the Southwest SPD out of the crisis. In: Badische-Zeitung.de. Badischer Verlag GmbH & Co. KG, October 23, 2016, accessed on December 23, 2016 .
- Leni Breymaier new SPD state chairwoman. In: press release. SPD state association Baden-Württemberg, October 22, 2016, accessed on December 23, 2016 .
- spiegel.de November 21, 2018: Chaos in the Southwest SPD
- Matthias Schiermeyer: Stoch wants to lead the SPD out of trouble. Stuttgarter Nachrichten , November 24, 2018, accessed on the same day.
- German Bundestag - MPs. Retrieved April 12, 2020 .
- Rita Rosa Martin: 2004 - Leni Breymaier & the quality offensive breast cancer. In: Internet presence of the Barbara Künkelin Prize Foundation. Schorndorf Mayor's Office, accessed on December 23, 2016 .
- Website of the Carlo Schmid Foundation , accessed on May 7, 2019
- Leni Breymaier: Personally - Leni Breymaier. Retrieved April 26, 2019 .
- Frederik Schindler: There is no other work in which people are so broken . welt.de. October 16, 2019. Retrieved January 22, 2020.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Breymaier, Magdalena|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German trade unionist and politician (SPD)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 26, 1960|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Ulm|