Kevin Kühnert (* 1. July 1989 in West Berlin ) is a German politician of the SPD . He has been federal chairman of the Jusos since November 24, 2017 and deputy federal chairman of the SPD since December 6, 2019.
Origin, profession and private life
Kühnert's father is a civil servant in a Berlin district administration, his mother works in a job center . He obtained his Abitur in 2008 at the Beethoven-Gymnasium in Berlin-Lankwitz , where he was also the student representative . He then completed a voluntary social year in the Steglitz-Zehlendorf children's and youth office .
He broke off a degree in journalism and communication studies that he had begun at the Free University of Berlin in 2009 and which he had previously sued and then worked in a call center for three and a half years . From 2014 to 2016 he worked in the parliamentary office of Dilek Kalayci and since 2016 in the office of Melanie Kühnemann . A degree in political science at the Distance University in Hagen, which began in 2016, has been suspended since his election as federal chairman of the Jusos.
In his youth he played handball at VfL Lichtenrade. He is a fan of the football clubs Tennis Borussia Berlin , Arminia Bielefeld and FC Bayern Munich . From June 2013 to May 2017 he was a member of the Supervisory Board of Tennis Borussia Berlin. He got his first name after the English striker Kevin Keegan , whose fan his mother is.
Kühnert joined the SPD in 2005 and was state chairman of the Jusos Berlin from 2012 to 2015. From 2015 he acted as Deputy Federal Juso Chairman and was responsible for the topics of tax policy , pension policy , structural policy , right-wing extremism and migration policy as well as for social media work. After Johanna Uekermann did not run again for the Juso election, the federal congress in Saarbrücken elected him on November 24, 2017 with 225 of 297 votes as federal chairman of the Jusos. On November 22, 2019, he was confirmed in office for another two years at the federal congress in Schwerin . He received 264 of 298 votes cast. In August 2020 he announced his intention to resign early in November 2020. Within the Jusos he belongs to the Network Left Center (NwlZ), one of the two left wings of the association.
At the federal party conference on December 6, 2019, Kühnert was elected Deputy Federal Chairman of the SPD with 70.4 percent of the delegate's votes. Since February 2020 he has been responsible for the SPD party executive for real estate, construction and housing.
Kühnert describes himself as a socialist . He advocates polarization between the major popular parties so that right-wing populists cannot present themselves as a supposed alternative; he calls for the taxation of assets , a higher minimum wage and the fight against temporary agency work .
After his election as Juso federal chairman, Kühnert spoke out against the formation of a new grand coalition ("#NoGroKo"). Among other things, he argued against a continuation that in the Merkel III cabinet the glyphosate decision was made against a clear cabinet decision . With regard to a “cooperation coalition ” discussed in the SPD, i.e. a tolerance of a minority government , he said in an interview in December 2017: “Many people who do not want a grand coalition have a very keen sense of when an attempt is made to give them an alternative one Model for sale, […] “During the exploratory talks on the formation of a grand coalition in January 2018, he reiterated his position and instead spoke out in favor of a minority government.
After the SPD party conference on January 21, 2018 in Bonn , the Jusos intensified their #NoGroko campaign and called on supporters to join the SPD under the motto “Step in, say no” in order to prevent the grand coalition from voting . SPD general secretary Lars Klingbeil criticized the Juso action: “If you now say, 'Come in: for 10 euros you stay a member for two months, vote against the grand coalition and then go out again', that does not correspond to my party -I understand work. This also reduces the value of membership. We should clearly agree that something like this won't work. ”For his part, Kühnert emphasized that the Jusos wanted to recruit new members who would join the SPD out of conviction,“ because they share our basic values. If these members then follow our argument to reject the grand coalition, there is nothing disreputable about it. ”On February 1, 2018, in an interview with Jan Böhmermann in Neo Magazin Royale , he repeated his criticism of the coalition negotiations and accused the CSU of“ racist bullshit ”, which the SPD should use as an opportunity to break off the talks.
As in 2013 , the SPD had members voted on the question of whether the party should form a coalition with the CDU / CSU. The relevant ballot papers had to be sent back by March 2nd. Previously, Kühnert toured through the Federal Republic to advertise in front of members and the interested public for the rejection of a grand coalition. At panel discussions he had a representative of the pro position as a counterpart. The campaign was accompanied by radio and TV interviews and participation in programs such as Markus Lanz . As a result, Kevin Kühnert gained notoriety beyond Germany.
Kevin Kühnert called for Labor Day on May 1, 2018 in the Rheinische Post for a significant increase in the minimum wage from 8.84 euros to at least twelve euros per hour during the current electoral term: “To make the minimum wage poverty-proof, he would have to already today be twelve euros or more. "
Unemployment benefit II
Kevin Kühnert criticized the situation of recipients of ALG II on May 1, 2018 : "Existing harassment should be abolished, the sanction options first." He criticized the fact that many people got stuck in nonsensical training measures or had to struggle to repair household appliances.
Collectivization of property
In the discussion program Maischberger in March 2019, Kühnert questioned the concept of property and saw an inherent constant tendency towards unequal distribution. “With what right does someone have more than twenty apartments?” On May 1st, Kühnert spoke in an interview with the weekly newspaper Die Zeit of his personal utopia and said in this context: “Without collectivization , overcoming capitalism is unthinkable.” He explained that Collectivization using the example of the automobile manufacturer BMW brought into play by the interviewers . In addition, Kühnert demanded that "everyone should have at most the living space in which they live." His ideas sparked a broad social debate:
Representatives of the CDU / CSU, FDP and AfD strongly criticized Kühnert's theses. Federal Transport Minister Andreas Scheuer (CSU) saw Kühnert's positions as the "eccentric retro worldview of a stray fantasist". There were also negative expressions from the Greens and parts of their own party. SPD General Secretary Klingbeil said that Kühnert's statement was “not a requirement of the SPD”. Kühnert, however, received encouragement from the left SPD wing and the left. Katja Kipping (left) sees through his statements "The common good (...) again more in the center". Kühnert himself said that the violent criticism of his position shows "how narrow the limits of what is imaginable have become".
Kühnert speaks out in favor of a democratic organization of the economy. In particular, employees of commercial enterprises who Kühnert trusts to make more sustainable decisions than only temporarily employed management should receive shares in the company.
- 2018: Next Generation Leader of Time magazine
- 2018: Signs Award in the Commitment in Communication category
- Kevin Kühnert in the database of the Tempelhof-Schöneberg District Assembly of Berlin (February 19, 2018)
- Tilo Jung : Kevin Kühnert (SPD), Juso Chairman Jung & Naiv , episode 366 (Interview, 2018)
- Juso boss about the SPD: “We have to be more aggressive” Kevin Kühnert in an interview with Stefan Reinecke and Ulrich Schulte, In: www.taz.de, December 17, 2018
- Kevin Kühnert - Federal Chairman. In: jusos.de. Jusos in the SPD, accessed on December 16, 2017 .
- Juso boss Kevin Kühnert: Mr. NoGroko and the air pumps morgenpost.de, September 16, 2018
- Kevin Kühnert (SPD), chairman of Jusos jungundnaiv.de, June 3, 2018
- Tilo Jung: Kevin Kühnert (SPD), Juso Chairman - Jung & Naiv: Episode 366. From 9:30 p.m. onwards. In: YouTube.de. Retrieved June 10, 2019 .
- Citizens' Office Kühnemann opened in John-Locke-Kiez! lichtenrade-berlin.de
- Did he even study ?! taz.de, September 24, 2018
- "They were happy when someone young came" tagesspiegel.de, March 12, 2018
- The Juso boss and his three clubs spiegel.de, July 10, 2020
- TeBe completed the general assembly with elections tebe.de, June 19, 2013
- Faults in purple-white tagesspiegel.de, January 30, 2019
- Why Juso boss Kevin Kühnert visits old stadiums 11freunde.de, March 4, 2018
- Christian Arnold: SPD at the crossroads: Juso boss Kevin Kühnert in an interview. In: Victory Column . Special Media SDL , March 5, 2018, accessed March 6, 2018 .
- rct with dpa: Kevin Kühnert speaks for the first time about his homosexuality. In: welt.de. March 6, 2018, accessed March 6, 2018 .
- Carolin Wollschied: Reactions to Coming-Out: "So that Erika Steinbach can get angry". In: FAZ.net. March 8, 2018, accessed March 12, 2018 .
- Kevin Kühnert: "The Jusos are the publicly visible part of the left wing in the SPD" vorwaerts.de, November 22, 2019
- Jusos Berlin nominate Kevin Kühnert from Berlin for the Juso federal chairmanship. In: jusosberlin.de. October 9, 2017, accessed February 9, 2019 .
- We are a bulwark against “GroKo”. In: tagesspiegel.de. November 24, 2017. Retrieved February 9, 2019 .
- Kühnert etches against Kramp-Karrenbauer. In: spiegel.de. November 22, 2019, accessed November 22, 2019 .
- Kevin Kühnert wants to run for the Bundestag. In: tagesspiegel.de. August 3, 2020, accessed on August 3, 2020 .
- Minister of tomorrow? In: politik-kommunikation.de. March 19, 2019, accessed December 18, 2019 .
- Kevin Kühnert gets more votes than Hubertus Heil. In: spiegel.de. December 6, 2019, accessed December 6, 2019 .
- Kevin Kühnert is responsible for real estate on the SPD board. In: immobilien-zeitung.de. February 11, 2020, accessed February 11, 2020 .
- Karen Noetzel: District Councilor Kevin Kühnert becomes Juso chairman. In: berliner-woche.de. November 30, 2017. Retrieved February 9, 2019 .
- What does socialism mean for you? , Die Zeit, May 1, 2019, accessed on May 1, 2019.
- Kevin Kühnert: "The SPD will not join a grand coalition". In: Zeit Online . Zeit Online GmbH, November 30, 2017, accessed on December 16, 2017 (source: Zeit Online, dpa, AFP, Reuters, fin): “'I expect the party chairman to point out the current resolution of the SPD. And that means: The SPD will not join a grand coalition, 'he told the Neue Osnabrücker Zeitung . "
- Max Holscher, Christian Teevs: Juso boss Kevin Kühnert: "We can still prevent the grand coalition". In: Spiegel Online . January 10, 2018, accessed January 11, 2018 .
- Nico Fried: Coalition - Cooperation - Krabbelgruppe. In: Süddeutsche Zeitung . December 13, 2017, accessed January 19, 2018.
- Paul Starzmann: Jusos and SPD-Left advertise for Groko opponents: "Step in, say no!" In: tagesspiegel.de. January 22, 2018, accessed January 24, 2018 .
- Angela Ulrich: SPD general secretary attacks Juso campaign. In: mdr.de. Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk , January 24, 2018, accessed on January 24, 2018 .
- Jan Drebes: Juso boss: Kühnert rejects short-term SPD memberships against Groko. In: rp-online.de. RP Online , January 24, 2018, accessed January 24, 2018 .
- Gereon Asmuth: Kevin Kühnert at Jan Böhmermann: "Racist bullshit of the CSU". In: taz.de . February 1, 2018, accessed February 19, 2018.
- Yannik Buhl: Juso boss Kevin Kühnert in "Neo Magazin Royale". The beginning of Angela Merkel's end? In: Stuttgarter Zeitung . February 2, 2017. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- mik / dpa: Juso boss Kühnert demands a minimum wage of twelve euros - at least. In: spiegel.de. May 1, 2018, accessed May 1, 2018.
- Kühnert in "Maischberger" "What right does someone have more than twenty apartments?" , Berliner Zeitung, March 7, 2019, accessed on May 1, 2019
- "State Automobile Company" - Kühnert's ideas for the future of BMW , on welt.de , May 1, 2019, accessed on May 1, 2019
- Patrick Bahners: Young Socialist Kevin Kühnert: Failed in Hamburg . ISSN 0174-4909 ( faz.net [accessed May 5, 2019]).
- Violent criticism of socialism theses by Juso boss Kühnert Die Zeit , May 2, 2019, accessed on May 3, 2019
- Left boss Kipping: Understanding of the collectivization idea of large companies SWR , May 2, 2019, accessed on May 3, 2019
- Collectivization: Kühnert sees “narrow limits of the conceivable” in SPD Der Standard , May 3, 2019, accessed on May 3, 2019
- Philipp Amthor vs. Kevin Kühnert: Is there no alternative to capitalism? (Video on YouTube ) In: “Diskuthek” on the YouTube channel “stern”. Stern , June 28, 2019, accessed on June 30, 2019 (from minute 6:09).
- Simon Shuster: Life of the Party. In: time.com. May 17, 2018. Retrieved May 19, 2018 .
- Time magazine puts “Milchgesicht” Kühnert on the list of “Next Generation Leader”. In: focus.de. May 18, 2018, accessed May 11, 2018 .
- SignsAward 2018. Setting standards in communication. In: signs-award.de, accessed on July 25, 2018.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German politician (SPD) and federal chairman of the Jusos|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 1, 1989|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||West Berlin|