Svenja Schulze (born September 29, 1968 in Düsseldorf ) is a German politician ( SPD ). She has been Federal Minister for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety in the Merkel IV cabinet since March 14, 2018 .
Schulze completed her Abitur in 1988 at the Norf grammar school in Neuss . She then studied German and political science at the Ruhr University in Bochum , which she completed in 1996 with a Magistra Artium . From 1993 to 1997, she freelanced in advertising and public relations , and from 2000 to 2004, she worked as a management consultant focusing on the public sector, most recently at Booz Allen Hamilton .
She joined the SPD in 1988. From 1988 to 1989 she was the state student representative of North Rhine-Westphalia and from 1990 to 1991, as a member of the Socialist University Association, she was chairwoman of the AStA at the Ruhr University in Bochum. As part of her studies, she also did an internship at the Alice Salomon Vocational College in Bochum . From 1993 to 1997 Schulze was state chairwoman of the North Rhine-Westphalian Jusos and from 1996 to 2002 and from 2006 to 2018 a member of the board of the SPD North Rhine-Westphalia .
From June 3, 1997 to June 1, 2000 and from October 22, 2004 to March 16, 2018, she was a member of the North Rhine-Westphalia state parliament . In 2004, she replaced Frank Baranowski , who had been elected mayor of Gelsenkirchen . In the state elections in 2005 and 2010 , she was elected to the state parliament via the state list. In 2012 she won the direct mandate in the Münster II constituency and in 2017 she was re-elected to the state parliament via the state list. In 2007, Schulze took over the chairmanship of the SPD sub-district Münster from Christoph Strässer and held it until May 21, 2011.
After the state elections in 2010, Hannelore Kraft appointed her to the Kraft I cabinet as Minister for Innovation, Science and Research . With the abolition of tuition fees in North Rhine-Westphalia, Schulze launched one of the government's major political projects. In 2011, however, the so-called “ atomic ball affair ” fell within her area of responsibility . On June 21, 2012, she was appointed to the Kraft II cabinet in her previous ministerial office.
From June 2017 to March 2018 Schulze was General Secretary of the SPD North Rhine-Westphalia . On December 8, 2017, she was elected as an assessor to the SPD party executive. The following day she was also elected to the party presidium.
On March 9, 2018, Schulze was nominated by the SPD party executive as the new Federal Minister for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety for the Merkel IV cabinet .
Schulze is a member of the Arbeiterwohlfahrt , IG Bergbau, Chemie, Energie (IG BCE), ver.di , the Naturschutzbund Deutschland (NABU) and the Slowfood association . She is a co-founder of the network "Frauenzeiten".
In 2011 Schulze married her partner Andrea Arcais.
- Cabinet Kraft I , State Minister for Innovation, Science and Research in North Rhine-Westphalia , 2010–2012
- Cabinet Kraft II , State Minister for Innovation, Science and Research in North Rhine-Westphalia , 2012–2017
- Cabinet Merkel IV , Federal Minister for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety, since March 14, 2018
- Personal website
- Svenja Schulze at the state parliament of North Rhine-Westphalia
- Profile at the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety
- "We can't afford to panic" Svenja Schulze in an interview with Malte Kreutzfeldt and Bernhard Pötter, In: www.taz.de, March 16, 2019
- Malte Kreutzfeldt , Bernhard Pötter : "More money must bring more climate protection". In: The daily newspaper (taz) . June 29, 2020 (Interview with Svenja Schulze).
- Svenja Schulze nrwspd.de
- Election results of the party executive committee 2017
- Members of the SPD presidium elected. spd.de, December 9, 2017, accessed December 13, 2017 .
- Westfälische Nachrichten: SPD leader Schulze marries her partner in Münster. Westfälische Nachrichten, April 10, 2011, accessed on February 12, 2019 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German politician (SPD), MdL|
|DATE OF BIRTH||29th September 1968|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Dusseldorf|