Helge Reinhold Braun (* 18th October 1972 in Giessen ) is a German politician of the CDU , a doctor and a directly elected Member of Parliament of the constituency casting . On March 14, 2018, he was appointed Federal Minister for Special Tasks and has been Head of the Federal Chancellery since then . Before that, Braun was Minister of State for the Chancellor in the Merkel III cabinet .
Life and work
After high school in 1992 at the Liebig School in Giessen and the military service in Koblenz studied Helge Braun 1994-2001 with a grant from the Konrad Adenauer Foundation medicine at the University of Giessen . Afterwards he was employed as a research assistant ( assistant doctor ) at the University Hospital Gießen and Marburg at the Clinic for Anaesthesiology, Intensive Care Medicine and Pain Therapy until his second mandate in 2009. In 2007 he was with a study on the impact of intraoperative tachycardia (rapid heart rate during surgery) on postoperative prognosis for MD PhD. At the end of June 2015, the Senate of the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main awarded him the title of honorary professor .
Braun is married and a Roman Catholic .
From 1989 to 2007 Braun was a member of the Junge Union (JU). From 1992 to 1997 he was district chairman of the JU Gießen and from 1998 to 2001 district chairman of the JU Mittelhessen.
He has been a member of the CDU since 1990. In 1992 he became a board member of the CDU district association in Gießen, and since 2004 he has been district chairman following Volker Bouffier (1987 to 2004). In 1995 he became deputy district chairman of the CDU Mittelhessen and has been district chairman since 2007.
Braun was a member of the city council of the university town of Gießen from 1997 to 2009. From 2006 he was chairman of the CDU district parliamentary group.
From October 2002 to September 2005 he was a member of the German Bundestag . From 2003 to 2005 he was deputy chairman of the Hessen state group of the CDU / CSU parliamentary group and has been again since 2009. Braun was a member of the committee for education, research and technology assessment and the committee for the environment, nature conservation and reactor safety . He was also an alternate member of the Petitions Committee .
In the 2009 Bundestag election he won the direct mandate of the constituency of Giessen with 59,441 (36.7%) votes and has been a member of the German Bundestag again since then. As a result, he was appointed parliamentary state secretary and again elected deputy chairman of the Hesse regional group of the CDU / CSU parliamentary group.
In the 2013 Bundestag election , Braun won 67,587 votes (44.4%), again beating the SPD direct candidate Rüdiger Veit in the Gießen constituency (173).
In the 2017 federal election , he was the top candidate for the Hessian CDU. Again he won the direct mandate with 57,610 votes (35.1%) this time.
Braun was appointed by Chancellor Angela Merkel as Minister of State for the Chancellor for the reduction of bureaucracy, better regulation and the coordination of federal-state relations in the Chancellery in the Merkel III cabinet on December 17, 2013 . In this position he also coordinates the federal and state governments in dealing with the refugee crisis in Europe .
Braun is a member of the European Union parliamentary group of the German Bundestag . The German Peace Research Foundation elected him deputy chairman in 2009. He is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Reading Foundation . Braun is also Vice President of the Board of Trustees of the Science and Politics Foundation .
- Helge Braun's website
- Biography at the German Bundestag
- CV at the CDU / CSU parliamentary group
- Helge Braun on parliamentwatch.de
- The new cabinet at a glance , spiegel.de, accessed on March 14, 2018
- Sara Schurmann: Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung: A network of the CDU elite? In: Der Tagesspiegel . June 25, 2014, accessed on April 10, 2020 : "Those who now belong to the federal government also include the ministers of state Helge Braun and Monika Grütters."
- www.medical-tribune.de: Seven doctors in the new Bundestag .
- Birgitta Wolff : Invitation to the Senate meeting on June 24, 2015. (PDF; 92.9 KB) In: uni-frankfurt.de. Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main , June 11, 2015, accessed on April 10, 2020 (document only proves intention, not appointment per se): “7. Award of the academic designation honorary professor and [...] 7.1 Application for the award of the academic designation honorary professor to Dr. med. Helge Braun, FB 16 [...] "
- Steffen Zimmermann: A cabinet full of Catholics. In: kathisch.de . General non-profit program company, March 9, 2018, accessed on April 10, 2020 .
- 2009 constituency results from the Federal Returning Officer ( Memento from June 17, 2011 in the Internet Archive )
- 2013 constituency results from the Federal Returning Officer ( Memento from January 10, 2014 in the Internet Archive )
- "Hessen-CDU nominates team for federal election." On: Hessenschau .de. May 6, 2017.
- Thorsten Winter: "From the hospital to the federal government." In: Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung . October 25, 2009.
- "Helge Braun becomes Minister of State." In: Gießener Anzeiger . December 16, 2013.
- "Merkel confirms: Braun (CDU) is moving to the Chancellery." In: Gießener Allgemeine Zeitung . December 15, 2013.
- Marc Brost: "Merkel's refugee crisis terminator." In: Die Zeit , September 24, 2015.
- Helge Braun. In: Website of the Europa-Union Germany. Retrieved August 18, 2020 .
- organs of the foundation. Retrieved July 22, 2020 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Braun, Helge Reinhold (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German politician (CDU), Member of the Bundestag|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 18, 1972|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||to water|