He has been a member of the German Bundestag since October 1998 and Federal Minister of Labor and Social Affairs since March 2018 . He has been Deputy Federal Chairman of the SPD since December 2019. Previously, he was general secretary of his party from November 2005 to November 2009 and from June to December 2017 .
Origin, studies and professional activity
Heil was born in Hildesheim in 1972 as the son of a student councilor . After graduating from high school in 1992 at the Silberkamp high school in Peine , Heil first did his community service and began studying political science and sociology at the University of Potsdam in 1995 , which he completed in 2006 at the Distance University in Hagen .
Salvation is evangelical . He is married to Solveig Orlowski, with whom he has a son (* 2012) and a daughter (* 2014).
SPD politician (since 1988)
Hubertus Heil joined the SPD as a 16-year-old high school student. He initially got involved with the Jusos , whose district chairman in Braunschweig he was from 1991 to 1995. From 2001 to 2007 he was deputy chairman of the SPD sub-district Peine and deputy chairman of the SPD district of Braunschweig. Since 2009 he has been chairman of the SPD district of Braunschweig and since 2011 a member of the SPD party executive committee . At the federal party congress on December 6, 2019, he was elected deputy federal chairman of the SPD with 70.0 percent of the delegate's votes. He is an advisory member of the SPD's Fundamental Values Commission .
He has been a member of the German Bundestag since 1998 . From October 2002 to November 2005 he was a member of the board of the SPD state group Lower Saxony and from October 2002 to November 2004 the board of the SPD parliamentary group. Heil was from April 2003 to October 2005 chairman of the parliamentary group telecommunications and post . He is one of the founding members of the Berlin Network , whose spokesperson he was from 2003 to 2005. From 2009 to 2017 he was deputy chairman of the SPD parliamentary group for the areas of economy and energy, education and research and tourism.
Heil has always entered the Bundestag as a directly elected member of the Gifhorn-Peine constituency . In the 2013 federal election , he achieved 43.2 percent of the first votes . In the previous federal election in 2009 it was only 40.5 percent. However, his lead over the CDU decreased to 1.1 percentage points. In 2017 he achieved the direct mandate with 37.8 percent.
SPD General Secretary (2005 to 2009 and 2017)
After Kajo Wasserhövel, who was proposed by the then party chairman Franz Müntefering as general secretary , was defeated in the federal executive against Andrea Nahles , Müntefering announced his resignation from the party chairmanship and Nahles renounced his candidacy for general secretary. The designated party chairman Matthias Platzeck then proposed the still relatively unknown MP Heil to the executive board for nomination as general secretary. On November 15, 2005, Heil was elected with 61.7% of the delegate's votes and re-elected on October 26, 2007 with 80.9%. Together with Andrea Nahles and Wolfgang Thierse , Hubertus Heil is the main author of the current basic program of his party, which was adopted in Hamburg in 2007. With this program the SPD speaks u. a. for a preventive welfare state. As Secretary General, he was jointly responsible for the election campaign for the 2009 Bundestag election , in which the SPD achieved its worst result ever with 23 percent. On May 30, 2017, party chairman Martin Schulz announced that he would be reappointed General Secretary from June 2017. Heil thus succeeded Katarina Barley , who moved to the cabinet as Federal Family Minister . For the 2017 federal election , he again acted as campaign manager at short notice; With 20.5 percent, the Social Democrats undercut the worst result in post-war history in 2009. Shortly afterwards, Heil announced that he would no longer be available as General Secretary.
Federal Minister for Labor and Social Affairs (since 2018)
In the book he edited, Social Germany , Heil deals with social exclusion , the social situation in Germany and justice policy. In his book So that Germany progresses: Compass for a progressive economic policy , Heil advocates structural policy, a policy of full employment and new rules for the financial markets. As Federal Minister of Labor, Heil initiated the “Concerted Care Action”. An important goal is to increase salaries in elderly care . "The solution I prefer is that a collective agreement is negotiated, which I can then declare to be generally binding for the entire industry," said Heil in June 2019. Heil calls for the introduction of a basic pension, which is 900 euros above the current basic security in old age lies. This should come into force in 2021. As minister, he presented the Parcel Delivery Protection Act, which also introduces general contractor liability for the parcel delivery, express and courier industries. This is to ensure that subcontractors pay social security contributions for their employees, that there is fair competition and that social security and working conditions for parcel deliverers are improved. Heil advocates a minimum wage of at least 12 euros.
In 2017, Heil was appointed to the supervisory board of the Federal Agency for Final Storage. The mandate ended with the appointment as Federal Minister on March 14, 2018.
- Hubertus Heil, Muzaffer Perik, Peter-Ulrich Wendt (eds.): Youth and violence: About dealing with young people who are prepared to use violence . Schüren Verlag, Marburg 1993, ISBN 3-89472-075-1 .
- Hubertus Heil, Juliane Seifert (ed.): Social Germany: For a new justice policy . VS Verlag, Wiesbaden 2005, ISBN 3-531-14798-6 .
- Hubertus Heil, Armin Steinbach : So that Germany moves forward: Compass for a progressive economic policy . Vorwärts Verlag, Berlin 2011, ISBN 978-3-8660-2351-2 .
- SPD general secretary and exam candidate. deutschlandfunk.de, February 14, 2006.
- Hubertus Heil became a father for the second time. paz-online.de, May 12, 2014.
- Hubertus Heil. bundestag.de
- Kevin Kühnert gets more votes than Hubertus Heil. In: spiegel.de. December 6, 2019, accessed December 6, 2019 .
- Members. grundwertekommission.spd.de
- German Bundestag - Biographies. Retrieved June 18, 2020 .
- Constituency result - Lower Saxony constituency 045 - Gifhorn - Peine - Preliminary result of the 2013 federal election ( Memento from September 25, 2013 in the Internet Archive )
- 95.5 percent for Beck. n-tv.de, October 26, 2007.
- Basic program: The SPD and the great leap to the left . In: The world . October 28, 2007 ( welt.de [accessed December 14, 2019]).
- Party moves to the left: SPD adopts “Hamburg Program”. Retrieved December 14, 2019 .
- Hubertus Heil becomes general secretary of the SPD. n-tv.de, May 30, 2017.
- Heil no longer wants to be Secretary General. n-tv.de, September 26, 2017.
- The new cabinet at a glance. spiegel.de, March 14, 2018.
- Social Germany: For a new justice policy . VS Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften, 2005, ISBN 978-3-531-14798-7 ( springer.com [accessed December 14, 2019]).
- "So that Germany moves forward: Compass for a progressive economic policy" by Hubertus Heil and Armin Steinbach, 2011, Vorwärts Buchverlag, 161 pages. In: Hubertus-Heil.de. November 7, 2011, accessed on December 14, 2019 (German).
- We are not yet at the low point , article in the Handelsblatt from March 14, 2019 (link checked on June 23, 2019).
- Aim of the training offensive: ten percent more nursing trainees. Article on www.altenpflege-online.net from January 28, 2019 (link checked on June 23, 2019).
- This week in the cabinet: Law for better wages in elderly care. Article on www.altenpflege-online.net from June 19, 2019 (link checked on June 23, 2019).
- tagesschau.de: Minister of Labor Heil demands a basic pension of 900 euros. Retrieved December 14, 2019 .
- Abendzeitung Germany: Hubertus Heil on higher minimum wages and basic pensions. Retrieved December 14, 2019 .
- BMAS: Protection for parcel carriers. Retrieved December 19, 2019 .
- Federal Labor: Hubertus Heil wants to take action against the exploitation of parcel carriers . In: The time . March 2, 2019, ISSN 0044-2070 ( zeit.de [accessed December 14, 2019]).
- Employer President warns against interference in the minimum wage . In: The world . December 14, 2019 ( welt.de [accessed December 14, 2019]).
- PM - 06/17 - BGE supervisory board appointed. Retrieved July 30, 2017 .
- Website from Hubertus Heil
- Hubertus Heil on parliamentwatch.de
- Biography at the German Bundestag
- Literature by and about Hubertus Heil in the catalog of the German National Library
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German politician (SPD), Member of the Bundestag|
|DATE OF BIRTH||3rd November 1972|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Hildesheim|