Boris Pistorius (born March 14, 1960 in Osnabrück ) is a German politician ( SPD ). From November 2006 to February 2013 he was Lord Mayor of Osnabrück and since February 2013 he has been Minister of the Interior and Sport of Lower Saxony .
Studies, military service and work
Pistorius passed his Abitur in 1978 at the Ernst-Moritz-Arndt-Gymnasium in Osnabrück and from 1978 to 1980 trained as a businessman in wholesale and foreign trade . He then did his military service in the Steubenkaserne in Achim and from 1981 studied law at the University of Osnabrück and the Westphalian Wilhelms University in Münster . He passed his first state examination in 1987 in Hamm , followed by a legal clerkship at the Oldenburg Higher Regional Court , where he passed the second state examination in 1990 . After half a year as a lawyer , he switched to the state service in 1991. From 1991 to 1995 he was personal advisor to Lower Saxony's interior minister Gerhard Glogowski and from 1995 to 1996 he was deputy head of his ministerial office. From 1997 to 2002 he was a department manager at the district government Weser-Ems and from 2002 to 2006 Head of Department schools and sports of the district government Weser-Ems.
Boris Pistorius was married and has two children. His mother was the former SPD member of the state parliament Ursula Pistorius . His father was Ludwig Pistorius (1923–2009). His wife Sabine Pistorius died of cancer on August 27, 2015. In October 2016 it became known that Pistorius and Doris Schröder-Köpf are in a relationship.
At the age of 16 Pistorius joined the SPD. He has been a member of the SPD party executive committee since December 8, 2017 .
In the 2017 federal election campaign , Pistorius was responsible for the SPD's domestic policy : “In the federal election campaign, I am the face of social democratic domestic policy”. Boris Pistorius wrote a 10-point paper on social democratic domestic politics, which he presented in June 2017 in the Willy Brandt House in Berlin . The core demands of the position paper included resolute action against terrorist threats, a clear strengthening of the federal police force and an improved fight against cybercrime . According to Pistorius, however, "a reasonable balance between security and freedom" must always be guaranteed with all measures. Furthermore, there should be stronger cooperation between the EU states in domestic and security policy. For this purpose the establishment of an EU police force based on the model of the American federal agency FBI is being sought. To protect the Schengen external borders, a common European border police should also be set up. In January 2018 Boris Pistorius took part in the exploratory talks between the SPD and the CDU . Together with Ralf Stegner , he represented the SPD in the “Migration / Integration” working group. In the subsequent coalition negotiations , Pistorius took over the co-chairmanship of the working group “Inside, Law and Consumer Protection” for the SPD .
From 1996 to February 2013 he was a member of the City Council of Osnabrück. Before his election as Mayor of Osnabrück, Pistorius was deputy chairman of the SPD parliamentary group and its financial policy spokesman. From 1999 to 2002 he was also the honorary second mayor of Osnabrück. In the local elections in 2006 , he received 55 percent of the votes in the mayor's runoff election on September 24, 2006 and succeeded Hans-Jürgen Fip (SPD) on November 7, 2006 .
Lower Saxony state government
After the Lower Saxony state elections in January 2013 , Pistorius was sworn in as Minister of the Interior and Sport at the constituent session of the 17th Lower Saxony state parliament on February 19, 2013. In the same year, as Minister of the Interior of Lower Saxony, he chaired the Conference of Interior Ministers (IMK). At the beginning of 2014, Pistorius handed over this office to the then North Rhine-Westphalian Interior Minister Ralf Jäger (SPD). In 2014 and since June 2017 he has been the spokesman for the SPD-led interior departments of the federal states. On November 22, 2017, Pistorius was sworn in again as Lower Saxony's Minister of the Interior and Sports.
He was a member of the Federal Council from February 19, 2013 to November 22, 2017 and has been a deputy member since November 22, 2017.
Since October 2017, Pistorius has been a member of a joint parliamentary control committee for Europol .
In the Lower Saxony state election on October 15, 2017 , Pistorius ran for the first time in the Osnabrück-West constituency and won the constituency ahead of the previous incumbent of the CDU, Burkhard Jasper (33.9%), with 42.6 percent of the votes .
Political positions and criticism
Combating Islamist Terrorism
Against the background of the growth of the Salafist scene, Pistorius pleaded in 2015 to fight extremist Islamism with more prevention and information on several levels. At the same time, however, he warns that there is a great danger “that through an unclean differentiation and generalization we lump the large mass of Muslims living peacefully here and the splinter group of Islamist extremists into one pot. We have to be very careful! It must not happen that we isolate and stigmatize the many peaceful Muslims, so that in the end they may feel excluded from our society, because they belong to it. "
In October 2017 it was announced that Pistorius will be a member of the newly established joint parliamentary control committee for Europol (JPSG). As a member of a four-person German delegation, he represents the Federal Council on the Control Committee.
In March 2017, the Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior under Boris Pistorius banned the association "Deutschsprachiger Islamkreis Hildesheim eV" (DIK Hildesheim). Investigations had shown that the Islamic group acted as a recruiting center for fighters from the Islamic State terrorist militia . Pistorius said the ban was an "extremely important and severe blow to Islamist extremists".
Deportation of endangered persons
Pistorius gained nationwide attention in February 2017 with his decision to impose a deportation order against two Islamist threats who were born in Germany, even before they had committed a crime. He was the first Minister of the Interior to refer to Section 58a of the Residence Act, which allows this step to be taken to avert a particular danger. Pistorius said that Lower Saxony had "used the sharpest sword of immigration law to avert a specific danger." In March of the same year, the Federal Administrative Court in Leipzig confirmed the legality of the decision. The paragraph had never before been applied in Germany, as the legal hurdles were generally considered to be too high. The application of Paragraph 58a and the associated ruling by the Federal Administrative Court are often rated as groundbreaking in dealing with Islamist threats. For example, Federal Interior Minister Thomas de Maizière (CDU) congratulated the Interior Minister of Lower Saxony and was convinced that this success set "new standards".
Asylum and Refugee Policy
Pistorius advocates family reunification for refugees , which should not, however, overwhelm the municipalities. Under Interior Minister Pistorius, Lower Saxony supported the study "On the Development of Violence in Germany Focus: Young People and Refugees as Offenders and Victims", which examines, among other things, the crime of refugees. The publication of the study in January 2017 aroused great interest in the media and politics. Since the start of the refugee movement in 2015 , the crime of refugees had been discussed repeatedly across Germany. Pistorius said: "We must neither taboo nor dramatize the subject of refugee crime." He welcomed the fact that this study contributed to objectifying the debate.
In March 2020, he campaigned for the admission of unaccompanied, minor children from Greek refugee camps.
NPD ban proceedings
As chairman of the Interior Ministers 'Conference in 2013, Pistorius played a key role in the federal states' application for an NPD ban procedure . After the failed prohibition procedure in 2003, Pistorius expressed his confidence that the NPD would be banned this time because of its anti-constitutional nature, since the party "also sees itself in the tradition of the NSDAP". The Federal Constitutional Court ruled on the Federal Council's application in January 2017 and found the NPD to be anti-constitutional. The judges refrained from a ban because the party was too politically insignificant to achieve its goals. However, the judges explicitly pointed out that the legislature had to decide on possible other possible reactions, such as the withdrawal of state funding. In response to the ruling, the Bundestag passed an amendment to the Basic Law and other laws in June 2017 in order to exclude anti-constitutional parties such as the NPD from state funding in the future . An important impetus for this decision came from Lower Saxony under Boris Pistorius. In February 2018, the Federal Council decided unanimously to submit an application to the Federal Constitutional Court, according to which the NPD should be excluded from state party funding for the next six years.
Another central topic of Pistorius is "cybersecurity", in particular the importance of the security of public networks in administrations and better cooperation between the federal states to protect IT security . Pistorius said that this topic is "most underestimated in public perception when it comes to internal and external security [...]." . He is continuing the White IT alliance established by his predecessor Uwe Schünemann to protect children in the digital world. At the suggestion of Lower Saxony, the Conference of Interior Ministers decided in June 2017 to deal with a transnational exercise against the background of a cyber attack on critical infrastructures . Pistorius continues to advocate intensive cooperation at the European level to combat cybercrime. "The questions of cybersecurity cannot be solved at the state or national level alone," said Pistorius. "Cybercrime is a cross-border phenomenon and therefore cybersecurity is an issue of common concern across the European Union."
Protection of rescue workers and police officers
On several occasions, Pistorius also advocated strengthening the protection of rescue workers and police officers from obstruction and attacks by onlookers at accident and emergency locations. In 2016, Lower Saxony introduced a legislative initiative to the Federal Council that makes photography and filming of defenseless accident victims a criminal offense. This kicked off a process that ultimately led to the passing of the law amending the Criminal Code - "Strengthening the protection of law enforcement officers and rescue workers" in May 2017 .
Monitoring the Internet
Pistorius advocates data retention , the design of which should “do justice to data protection through high intervention barriers”. There is "an urgent need to access telecommunications data due to the security requirements ."
Introduction of a compulsory identification or real name on the Internet
Pistorius is in favor of an identification requirement for social media; Your real name, address and birthday should be stored there. The Lower Saxony state government has approved a corresponding Federal Council initiative by Pistorius. He said that if users provided personal data, criminal offenses could be better prosecuted on the Internet. According to an analysis by Heise online , the draft would lead to a lockout of young people under the age of 16 from practically all forums and game platforms with a large number of members, since children and young people in Germany usually only have an identity card from the age of 16. netzpolitik.org criticized the project as “not only unrealistic, but also irresponsible and dangerous.” It could lead to “corporations from all over the world having to save massive amounts of sensitive data from users in Germany, which would mean considerable security risks”.
- Minister Pistorius discusses with Osnabrück students noz.de, September 30, 2016
- Interior Minister Boris Pistorius. In: CV. Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport, accessed on February 20, 2018 .
- Our Schinkel. ( Memento of June 19, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Accessed January 10, 2012
- notice of Ludwig Pistorius accessed on October 27, 2016
- Doris and Boris new love in the state parliament , Norddeutscher Rundfunk , October 26, 2016.
- Minister and Commissioner for Integration. It's true: Boris Pistorius and Doris Schröder-Köpf a couple , Neue Osnabrücker Zeitung , October 26, 2016.
- Lower Saxony Minister for the Interior and Sport, MdL, member of the SPD party executive. In: Start ›Party› People ›Boris Pistorius (current). Social Democratic Party of Germany (SPD), the SPD party executive, accessed on February 20, 2018 .
- Boris Pistorius, the red sheriff. Der Tagesspiegel, accessed on February 20, 2018 .
- Reinhard Bingener, Majid Sattar: Security Policy of the SPD: More Time for Internal Security . In: Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung . June 1, 2017, ISSN 0174-4909 ( faz.net [accessed July 24, 2017]).
- Freedom in Security. Retrieved July 24, 2017 .
- Working groups in the exploratory talks. MDR.DE, archived from the original on February 22, 2018 ; accessed on February 20, 2018 .
- KEYWORD Schulz negotiates European policy for the SPD himself. REUTERS, accessed February 20, 2018 .
- Next duo: Pistorius and Köpping are running for SPD chairmanship . In: Spiegel Online . August 16, 2019 ( spiegel.de [accessed on August 16, 2019]).
- Preliminary result of the runoff election for the direct election of the Lord Mayor in the city of Osnabrück. Lower Saxony State Office for Statistics, accessed on February 20, 2018 .
- IMK Chairman Pistorius worried about massive upgrading of the rocker scene. In: DEUTSCHE POLIZEI magazine (June issue). Police Union, accessed February 20, 2018 .
- New IMK chairman Jäger starts an initiative for transnational concepts to combat crime. Ministry of the Interior and Local Affairs, accessed February 20, 2018 .
- Boris Pistorius SPD. In: About the person. Federal Council, accessed on February 20, 2018 .
- Lower Saxony's interior minister Pistorius is a new member of the control committee for Europol. In: press release. Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport, accessed on February 20, 2018 .
- Final results and comparative figures in constituency no. 078 Osnabrück-West. State Office for Statistics Lower Saxony, accessed on February 20, 2018 .
- Pistorius: "IS fighters return bent" , Hamburger Abendblatt from June 22, 2015
- Message from October 9th, 2017. Focus Online, accessed February 20, 2018 .
- Hannoversche Allgemeine Zeitung, Hanover, Lower Saxony, Germany: Raid on Salafist scene - Islamic district Hildesheim was the place of recruitment for IS. Retrieved July 24, 2017 .
- Association "Deutschsprachiger Islamkreis Hildesheim eV" (DIK Hildesheim) banned Pistorius: "Enormously important and hard blow against Islamist extremists" | Nds. Ministry of the Interior and Sport. Retrieved on July 24, 2017 (German).
- n-tv news television: Police probably thwarted bomb attack . In: n-tv.de . ( n-tv.de [accessed on July 24, 2017]).
- Beate Tenfelde: Nationwide in focus: The rise of Boris Pistorius . ( noz.de [accessed on July 24, 2017]).
- Informing the Lower Saxony state parliament by Interior Minister Pistorius | Nds. Ministry of the Interior and Sport. Retrieved on July 24, 2017 (German).
- Hannoversche Allgemeine Zeitung, Hanover, Lower Saxony, Germany: Federal Administrative Court: Goettingen threats can be deported - HAZ - Hannoversche Allgemeine. Retrieved July 24, 2017 .
- n-tv news television: Islamist threats are deported . In: n-tv.de . ( n-tv.de [accessed on July 24, 2017]).
- tagesschau.de: Deportation Policy: Revolution from Leipzig? Retrieved July 24, 2017 .
- Conference of Interior Ministers: The ban on deportation to Syria extended by one year - and what else was decided. RTL NEXT, accessed on February 20, 2018 .
- Minister Pistorius on the study "On the development of violence in Germany, focus: Young people and refugees as perpetrators and victims". Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport, accessed on February 20, 2018 .
- Christian Pfeiffer, criminologist, with details on the study on refugee crime. tagesschau.de, accessed on February 20, 2018 .
- Violence by refugees mostly affects refugees. ndr.de, accessed on February 20, 2018 .
- Debate about deportations. sueddeutscher.de, accessed on February 20, 2018 .
- DER SPIEGEL: Federal Government: Mayor Admission of Underage Refugees from Greece - DER SPIEGEL - Politics. Retrieved March 6, 2020 .
- Pistorius: NPD ban application is solid. Hannoversche Allgemeine Zeitung, accessed on February 20, 2018 .
- SPIEGEL ONLINE, Hamburg Germany: Judgment of the Federal Constitutional Court: NPD - unconstitutional, inhuman, insignificant - SPIEGEL ONLINE - politics. Retrieved July 24, 2017 .
- "NPD cannot implement anti-constitutional goals" . ( tagesspiegel.de [accessed on July 24, 2017]).
- If no NPD ban, then bankruptcy. Der Tagesspiegel, accessed on February 20, 2018 .
- SPIEGEL ONLINE, Hamburg Germany: Bundestag resolution: NPD party funding to be canceled - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Politics. Retrieved July 24, 2017 .
- Pistorius: “A strong statement of our defensive democracy” | Nds. Ministry of the Interior and Sport. Retrieved on July 24, 2017 (German).
- Federal Council wants to withdraw state money from the NPD. ZEIT Online, accessed on February 20, 2018 .
- Pistorius: "Cyber threat is blatantly underestimated" , Neue Osnabrücker Zeitung of June 17, 2015
- Compare the imprint of the alliance's website, which lists Minister Boris Pistorius as authorized to represent ( memento of December 28, 2015 in the Internet Archive ), accessed on December 28, 2015
- Pistorius: "Important Resolutions for Internal Security" | Nds. Ministry of the Interior and Sport. Retrieved on July 24, 2017 (German).
- TOP 7 Joint communication to the European Parliament and the Council - Resilience, deterrence and defense: effectively increasing cybersecurity in the EU JOIN (2017) 450 final on the advisory process (DRS 654/17). In: 962nd meeting of the Federal Council on November 24, 2017. Federal Council, accessed on February 20, 2018 .
- FOCUS Online: Hanover: Pistorius: "HELP INSTEAD OF GAFFEN" also on the way to vacation . In: FOCUS Online . ( focus.de [accessed on July 24, 2017]).
- Law amending the Criminal Code - Strengthening the protection of law enforcement officers and rescue workers. In: Documentation and information system for parliamentary processes. German Bundestag, accessed February 20, 2018 .
- "Pistorius wants data in stock" , Hannoversche Allgemeine Zeitung of January 6, 2014
- Lower Saxony wants identification in the network. Retrieved February 6, 2020 .
- Michael Link: Real name requirement: Young people are flying out of forums and gaming platforms. In: heise.de. February 14, 2020, accessed May 14, 2020 .
- mbö / dpa: Anonymity on the Internet: Platforms like Facebook and Twitch are supposed to check the identity of their users. In: Spiegel Online . February 14, 2020, accessed May 14, 2020 .
- Daniel Laufer: Hate on the Net - The compulsory identification for gamers has what it takes to be a disaster. In: netzpolitik.org. February 14, 2020, accessed May 14, 2020 .
- Minister of the Interior Pistorius awarded a Silesian shield at the Germany Meeting of Silesians 2019 in Hanover. Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport, June 17, 2019, accessed on January 14, 2020 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German politician (SPD)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 14, 1960|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Osnabrück|