Bernd Althusmann (pronunciation: [alt'huːsman] ; born December 3, 1966 in Oldenburg , Lower Saxony ) is a German politician ( CDU ) and member of the Lower Saxony state parliament . He has been state chairman of the CDU Lower Saxony since November 26, 2016 and was its top candidate for the election to the 18th Lower Saxony state parliament . From April 27, 2010 to February 19, 2013 he was Lower Saxony's Minister of Culture . Since November 22, 2017 he has been Minister for Economic Affairs, Labor, Transport and Digitization and Deputy Prime Minister in the Weil II cabinet .
Life and work
Althusmann is the son of a pastor and a nurse and has lived in the Harburg district since 1976 . After graduating from high school in 1986 at the Herderschule Lüneburg high school, he pursued a career as an officer in the armored forces of the German armed forces until 1994 , during which he studied pedagogy with a focus on human resources at what is now the Helmut Schmidt University / University of the German Armed Forces in Hamburg , where he graduated as a qualified pedagogue completed. He then studied at the School of professionals in Lahr , belonging to the AKAD Private Universities heard the specialist business with the completion of a graduate business economist (FH). In 2007 he received his doctorate from the University of Potsdam with the grade “ rite ” ; his topic was process organization and process cooperation in public administration: consequences for personnel development .
From December 2013 to June 2016 he was head of the diplomatic mission of the Konrad Adenauer Foundation in Namibia and Angola. After his return, he initially headed the Hanover office of TOPOS Personalberatung GmbH.
He is captain of the Bundeswehr reserve .
From 1994 to 2009 Bernd Althusmann was a member of the Lower Saxony state parliament and, most recently, the parliamentary manager of the CDU parliamentary group. He was also chairman of the CDU district association in Lüneburg.
On June 16, 2009 Althusmann became State Secretary of the Lower Saxony Ministry of Culture; he resigned his mandate for this. Minister of Education, Elisabeth Heister-Neumann, succeeded him in the state parliament. In April 2010 Althusmann succeeded her in the office of minister of education in the McAllister cabinet . In 2011 Althusmann was chairman of the Conference of Ministers of Education . After losing the state election in 2013 , he resigned from the ministerial office in February 2013; his successor is Frauke Heiligenstadt ( SPD ).
In the state elections in 2013, Althusmann was defeated as a direct candidate in the Lüneburg constituency of the SPD candidate Andrea Schröder-Ehlers . Due to the numerous direct mandates of the CDU obtained elsewhere, Althusmann did not enter the state parliament via the state list of his party, despite his position on list number 4. With his move to Namibia he also lost his eligibility, so that after the sudden death of MP Norbert Böhlke , he was no longer an option.
On September 17, 2016, a joint meeting of the CDU state executive and state parliamentary group nominated Althusmann as state chairman and top candidate of the CDU for the election to the 18th Lower Saxony state parliament . The state party convention of the CDU Lower Saxony then elected him on November 26, 2016 in Hameln as state chairman and unanimously confirmed his election as the top candidate. In this role, however, in the early elections on October 15, 2017, he was unable to unite more votes for the CDU than the incumbent Prime Minister Stephan Weil for the SPD. Althusmann won a direct mandate in the Seevetal constituency . Nationwide, however, his CDU received only 33.6 percent of the vote; that was her worst result in Lower Saxony for almost 60 years. Althusmann was initially elected chairman of the CDU parliamentary group on October 17, 2017, and entered into coalition negotiations with the SPD.
On November 16, 2017, he was nominated as Minister of Economics and Digital in a grand coalition under Prime Minister Weil ( Weil II cabinet ), an office he has held since November 22, 2017.
Althusmann has been a member of the supervisory board of Volkswagen AG and the supervisory board of Niedersachsen Ports , the operator of the state-owned ports in Lower Saxony, for the state of Lower Saxony since December 2017 .
Allegations of plagiarism
In July 2011 it was reported that in his dissertation Althusmann is said to have taken over content or literal texts from other scientific works in several places, without indicating this accordingly. An analysis of the doctoral thesis, according to Die Zeit , showed that the main chapters examined were a "large-scale collage of quotations". The Süddeutsche Zeitung described it as "particularly spicy" that one of the most important tasks of Althusmann as President of the Conference of Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs is "to ensure the 'quality standards in schools and universities'". Althusmann thereupon admitted "technical mistakes", but excluded political consequences.
A five-person investigation commission from the University of Potsdam, chaired by law professor Tobias Lettl, examined the accusation of scientific misconduct. On December 1, 2011, she closed her investigation and announced that the allegations of plagiarism had not been substantiated, but that the work contained “shortcomings of considerable weight” (quote Lettl) that do not correspond to good scientific practice.
Althusmann has two children from his first marriage and one child with his second wife.
- Process organization and process cooperation in public administration: consequences for personnel development (PDF; 14.4 MB) . University of Potsdam 2007 ( dissertation )
- Member profile in the Lower Saxony state parliament in the 18th electoral term. Lower Saxony state parliament.
- Website of the CDU state chairman Bernd Althusmann
- Website of the CDU regional association of Lower Saxony
- Extremely difficult? The name Althusmann. NDR.de, News Lower Saxony, September 30, 2017.
- Gabriele Andretta (Ed.), Department for Press, Public Relations, Protocol: Lower Saxony State Parliament . Handbook of the Lower Saxony Parliament of the 18th electoral period. 2017 to 2022, 1st edition, Hanover: Lower Saxony State Parliament, 2018, p. 5f.
- Contact , Namibia and Angola office, Konrad Adenauer Foundation
- TOPOS Personalberatung GmbH. In: www.topos-consult.de. Retrieved September 17, 2016 .
- Dr. Bernd Althusmann new State Secretary in the Ministry of Education , press release of the Lower Saxony Ministry of Education, June 9, 2009.
- Minister of Education Althusmann becomes President of the Conference of Ministers of Education in 2011 , press release of the Lower Saxony Ministry of Education on December 9, 2010.
- State election 2018 Althusmann becomes CDU top candidate. In: Spiegel Online , September 17, 2016 (agency reports).
- Bernd Althusmann leads the CDU in Lower Saxony as the top candidate for the state election. In: CDU in Lower Saxony , November 26, 2016.
- n-tv news television: SPD lures CDU from over 20 direct mandates . In: n-tv.de . ( n-tv.de [accessed October 17, 2017]).
- difficultcoalition in Lower Saxony has begun. In: merkur.de. October 16, 2017. Retrieved October 17, 2017 .
- [ CV Minister Dr. Bernd Althusmann. Lower Saxony Minister for Economic Affairs, Labor, Transport and Digitization ], mw.niedersachsen.de.
- CDU in Lower Saxony elects new state board. In: CDU-Niedersachsen.de. September 7, 2018, accessed September 9, 2018 .
- Lower Saxony sends Althusmann to the VW supervisory board . welt.de from December 12, 2017.
- Minister Dr. Bernd Althusmann is a member of the supervisory board of Niedersachsen Ports GmbH & Co.KG (NPorts) , stk.niedersachsen.de on December 7, 2017.
- Martin Spiewak : Bernd Althusmann: Cloudy sources. In: Die Zeit , July 6, 2011.
- Plagiarism allegations against the Minister of Education. Doctoral thesis: Althusmann is said to have written off. In: Süddeutsche Zeitung , July 6, 2011.
- Sloppy doctoral thesis: University starts plagiarism proceedings against Althusmann. In: Spiegel Online , July 27, 2011.
- Althusmann is allowed to keep his doctorate. In: Süddeutsche Zeitung , November 1, 2011.
- Worked improperly, but not fooled. In: Süddeutsche Zeitung , December 1, 2011.
- Althusmann became a father for the third time ( memento from January 20, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) , report from dapd-nrd from October 11, 2010
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German politician (CDU), MdL, State Minister in Lower Saxony|
|DATE OF BIRTH||3rd December 1966|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Oldenburg (Oldb)|