Thomas Bareiß (born February 15, 1975 in Albstadt - Ebingen ) is a German politician ( CDU ) and has been a member of the German Bundestag since 2005. He has been Parliamentary State Secretary at the Federal Minister for Economic Affairs and Energy since March 2018 . He has also been the Federal Government's Tourism Commissioner since April 2018 and the Federal Government’s Commissioner for SMEs since April 2020. He has been a member of the CDU federal executive committee since December 2018 .
education and profession
After graduating from high school in 1994 at the Albstadt Business School, Bareiß did his military service with the Air Force in Meßstetten and on the Heuberg . In 1995 he began studying business administration at the Ravensburg University of Cooperative Education , which he completed in 1998 with a degree in business administration (BA). From 1999 to 2005 he worked as an assistant to the management, head of the controlling department and most recently as head of the IT and organization department in a medium-sized textile company in the Swabian Alb.
As a schoolboy, Bareiß became a member of the Junge Union in 1990 and of the CDU in 1994. From 1997 to 2003 he was chairman of the JU district association Zollernalb and from November 2002 to November 2006 he was state chairman of the Junge Union Baden-Württemberg .
In addition, Bareiß was a member of the district executive of the CDU Zollernalb from 2001 to 2005 and district chairman from 2007 to 2012. Since 2002, in his capacity as state chairman of the Junge Union, he has been an advisory member of the CDU state board of Baden-Württemberg, and since the state party conference in 2005 as an elected member. In his function as chairman of the CDU district association Württemberg-Hohenzollern, he has been a member of the presidium of the CDU Baden-Württemberg since 2011.
On October 22, 2011, Thomas Bareiß was elected in Uhldingen-Mühlhofen as the new chairman of the CDU district association of Württemberg-Hohenzollern, which has around 13,000 members. He narrowly won against the then Environment and Transport Minister Tanja Gönner . He was re-elected unopposed in 2013, 2015 and 2018 (with 99%, 95.1% and 93.8% of the vote, respectively).
In December 2018 he was elected to the CDU federal executive committee.
Member of Parliament
From 1999 to 2008 Bareiß was on the municipal council of his hometown Meßstetten , from 2004 to 2013 he was a member of the district council of the Zollernalb district . He has been a member of the German Bundestag since 2005 . In the 17th legislative period, Bareiß is a full member of the Committee on Affairs of the European Union and the Committee on Economy and Technology. As a deputy member, he is a member of the Committee for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety and the 1st Committee of Inquiry (Gorleben).
From January 2010 to 2018, Thomas Bareiß was the coordinator for energy policy of the CDU / CSU parliamentary group and member of the parliamentary committee of the CDU / CSU parliamentary group. He is also deputy chairman of the Baden-Württemberg CDU regional group in the German Bundestag. In addition, from 2008 to 2018 he was a member of the advisory board of the Federal Network Agency for Electricity, Gas, Telecommunications, Post and Railway. From June 2017 to 2018, Bareiß was deputy chairman of the board of trustees of the approximately 24 billion nuclear contaminated site fund, which manages the reserves for the final storage of highly radioactive nuclear energy waste.
Bareiß has moved into the Bundestag as a directly elected member of the constituency Zollernalb - Sigmaringen . In the 2005 Bundestag election he achieved the best first- vote result in Baden-Württemberg with 55.5% of the first votes .
Bareiß has also been committed to transatlantic relations for a long time.
In the Bundestag election in 2009 he ran again for the CDU in the Zollernalb - Sigmaringen constituency and received 49.4% of the first votes.
He also ran for the CDU in the constituency of Zollernalb - Sigmaringen in the 2013 federal election and achieved the best result in Baden-Württemberg and the second best CDU first vote result in Germany with 60.7 percent of the first votes. During this legislative period he is a member of the Committee on Economic Affairs and Energy.
In 2016, in addition to his mandate in the Bundestag, he carried out eleven additional activities subject to mandatory publication, of which he paid between 19,500 and 40,500 euros.
As negotiator for business and finance, Thomas Bareiß was instrumental in negotiating the coalition agreement between the CDU and the Greens in April 2016 after the Baden-Württemberg state elections.
In January 2018, Thomas Bareiß was part of the exploratory group that negotiated with the SPD about a possible grand coalition. Bareiß was appointed energy commissioner for the CDU / CSU parliamentary group in the exploratory group on energy, climate protection and the environment.
Federal Ministry of Economics
In March 2018, Thomas Bareiß was appointed Parliamentary State Secretary in the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy. In this function, he represents the Federal Minister of Economics in particular in the Bundestag, Bundesrat and towards the parliamentary groups and is responsible for the areas of energy and medium-sized companies. Furthermore, Thomas Bareiß has been tourism officer since April 2018. As such, he coordinates the Federal Government's tourism strategy and is in exchange for it with other European and international countries. In April 2020, Thomas Bareiß was also appointed as the Federal Government's SME Commissioner. As SME Commissioner, he is in charge of the federal government in overcoming the Corona crisis and is responsible for the SME strategy "Appreciation, Strengthening, Relief", which is intended to strengthen the SMEs that are considered to be of central importance.
Political positions and criticism
Bareiß was a member of the Berlin Circle , an informal CDU internal conservative group of modernization and Merkel skeptics. In 2016, Bareiß distanced himself from the Berliner Kreis.
In February 2013 Bareiß spoke out against an alignment of registered civil partnerships and marriage in adoption and tax law. For Bareiß, the special protection of marriage is based on the mutual commitment to assume responsibility. In addition, the marriage between a man and a woman is the "starting point for starting a family". He also justified his position with the otherwise threatened loss of CDU core voters and the lack of support from the party base.
In April 2013, the Berlin district he co-founded called for an “initiative to combat poverty migration from Bulgaria and Romania”.
In March 2015, Bareiß voted against the women's quota . Thomas Bareiß explained that the women's quota hurts the “opportunities of the individual” and does not reduce disadvantages, but creates new ones.
In July 2015 Bareiß turned against further German billions in aid for Greece .
In August 2015 Bareiß, together with 72 other MEPs from the platform Abgeordnetenwatch.de a grade of "Unsatisfactory" because he answered on the platform no civil issues. Bareiß justified this in a letter to the editor to the local press with a reference to the alleged lack of seriousness of the platform.
In a roll-call vote on a draft law on the fracking ban on April 28, 2016, Bareiß voted no and thus positioned himself for future approvals of (currently very controversial) fracking projects.
In August 2018, he promoted vacationing in Turkey after German tourists were arrested in Turkey in 2017. Because tourism builds bridges between countries that are currently particularly needed.
Bareiß rejects the introduction of a CO 2 tax. The supposedly high costs for broad sections of society are problematic. He is open to CO 2 emissions trading. After the publication of the Rezo video The Destruction of the CDU and the poor performance of the CDU in the 2019 European elections , Bareiß was critical of first-time voters and their demand for a CO 2 tax. In a tweet, Bareiß wrote that when it comes to the CO 2 tax, common sense will ultimately prevail, “when the # first-time voters earn their own money and see for themselves who has to pay for everything.” Then “the choice might look different again ". Climate activists, young influencers and the media criticized Bareiß for this statement, and thousands of Twitter comments turned against his position. The parliamentary manager of the parliamentary group of the left, Niema Movassat , accused Bareiß of aloofness and arrogance in dealing with first-time voters. The CDU politician Ruprecht Polenz also classified Bareiß 'tweet as a mistake. Despite numerous contradictions, Bareiß stuck to his statements
Bareiß is a member of the non-partisan European Union Germany .
For many years, Bareiß has also been on the board of the "Association of Friends of the Archabbey of St. Martin zu Beuron" and has been managing it since October 2017. The association supports the work of the Abbey of Beuron .
Bareiß is also a member of the board of directors of the Albstadt eV training and career advancement center, which supports young people in starting their careers.
- Website by Thomas Bareiß
- Biography at the German Bundestag
- Biography at the Federal Ministry of Economics
- CV at the CDU / CSU parliamentary group
- Thomas Bareiß on parliamentwatch.de
- Organization chart of the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy. Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy, April 7, 2020, accessed on April 18, 2020 .
- Parliamentary State Secretary Thomas Bareiß becomes the new SME Commissioner. Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy, April 1, 2020, accessed on April 18, 2020 .
- CV: Thomas Bareiß. German Bundestag, accessed on May 27, 2019 .
- Archive link ( Memento from August 14, 2010 in the Internet Archive )
- Archive link ( Memento of the original from September 23, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. CV in tabular form, accessed on September 23, 2015
- Thomas Bareiß marries quietly schwarzwaelder-bote.de, on September 17, 2016, accessed on June 25, 2017 (chargeable)
- Schwarzwälder Bote: CDU district chair: Tanja Gönner loses fight against Bareiß , accessed on October 17, 2015
- Zollernalbkurier: District CDU: Bareiß without competition ( Memento of the original from March 4, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (chargeable), accessed on October 17, 2015
- Schwarzwälder Bote: CDU Württemberg-Hohenzollern: Bareiß remains chairman , accessed on October 17, 2015
- CDU-Württemberg-Hohenzollern: Chairman Thomas Bareiß MdB confirmed in office. In: CDU-Württemberg-Hohenzollern. October 29, 2017, accessed October 5, 2019 .
- Thomas Bareiß: CV. In: Thomas Bareiß Member of the Bundestag. Retrieved October 5, 2019 .
- pv magazine: "Foundation for nuclear contaminated sites fund starts work" , accessed on June 25, 2017
- The Guttenberg gap. Retrieved June 15, 2020 .
- Thomas Bareiß achieves record results. Retrieved June 15, 2020 .
- Archive link ( Memento of the original dated August 11, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. bundestag.de: Information subject to publication, accessed on August 3, 2015
- Advisory board activity raises questions on Schwarzwälder Bote: Advisory board activity raises questions, accessed on August 31, 2016
- Roland Muschel: Whom the Greens and CDU send into the coalition negotiations. In: Schwäbisches Tagblatt. April 5, 2016, accessed October 5, 2019 .
- Schwäbische Zeitung: Bareiß takes part in exploratory talks. In: Schwäbische Zeitung. Schwäbische Zeitung, January 8, 2018, accessed on January 24, 2018 .
- Gregor Moser: CDU member of the Bundestag Thomas Bareiß becomes Parliamentary State Secretary: Joy about career leap. In: Südkurier. March 12, 2018, accessed June 7, 2020 .
- Thomas Bareiß. In: BMWi. Retrieved June 7, 2020 .
- Thomas Bareiß MdB is the new representative for tourism in the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy. In: Thomas Bareiß. April 11, 2018, accessed June 7, 2020 .
- Tourism ministers discuss summer vacations in Europe. In: Federal Government. May 21, 2020, accessed June 7, 2020 .
- Statements by the Federal Foreign Office at the government press conference on May 11, 2020. In: Foreign Office. May 11, 2020, accessed June 7, 2020 .
- Parliamentary State Secretary Thomas Bareiß becomes the new SME Commissioner. In: BMWi. April 1, 2020, accessed June 7, 2020 .
- Bastian Brauns: The free spirit from the Alb remains an optimist despite the Corona crisis. In: CICERO. May 14, 2020, accessed June 7, 2020 .
- Thomas Bareiß. In: BMWi. Retrieved June 7, 2020 .
- ZEIT ONLINE, dpa, AFP, akm: Peter Altmaier presents strategy for medium-sized companies . In: ZEIT Online. August 29, 2019, accessed June 7, 2020 .
- Party profile - The conservative rebels of the CDU procrastinate zeit.de, August 20, 2012 , accessed on December 8, 2012
- Conservatives in the Union. Five that go around in circles. , Süddeutsche Zeitung , November 2, 2012
- A conservative Rebelliönchen zeit.de, November 2, 2012 , accessed December 15, 2012
- Statement on the paper of the Berliner Kreis: Thomas Bareiß Member of the Bundestag firmly rejects criticism of the SPD. In: Thomas Bareiß Member of the Bundestag. Thomas Bareiß Member of the Bundestag, June 6, 2017, accessed on January 24, 2018 .
- n-tv: Change of heart in gay marriage
- Stuttgarter Zeitung, Stuttgart Germany: Interview with Thomas Bareiß: “One should not water down the marriage”. Retrieved May 29, 2019 .
- Armin Käfer: "You shouldn't water your marriage down". In: Stuttgarter Zeitung. March 25, 2012, accessed October 5, 2019 .
- Michael König Berlin: "For us there is no gay marriage" . In: sueddeutsche.de . June 7, 2013, ISSN 0174-4917 ( sueddeutsche.de [accessed on May 29, 2019]).
- Dpa: Society: Conservative CDU wing against yes to gay marriage . In: The time . February 24, 2013, ISSN 0044-2070 ( zeit.de [accessed on May 29, 2019]).
- DER SPIEGEL: Conservative CDU group wants to address regular voters - DER SPIEGEL - politics. Retrieved June 15, 2020 .
- Schwäbische Zeitung: Bareiß votes against the women's quota (fee required)
- Handelsblatt: "We no longer work with the Troika"
- ZAK.de: Aid program for Greece: Widmann-Mauz for it, Bareiß against it ( memento of the original from October 3, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (chargeable)
- MP Watch: Blog Article 'This is how our MPs are ready to answer public questions, accessed October 17, 2015
- Parliamentary Watch: Certificate grades 2015 (Excel table), accessed October 17, 2015
- Zollernalbkurier: You can reach me without any problems ( memento from September 23, 2015 in the Internet Archive ), accessed on September 4, 2015
- FAZ.net: Not on the line of the Chancellor from October 1, 2015, accessed on August 31, 2019
- Spiegel Online Bundestag Radar: April 28, 2016 - Ban on the use of fracking technology , accessed on April 28, 2016
- Frankfurter Rundschau, 18./19. August 2018, p. 9.
- leve / dpa: Federal government wants to make vacation in Turkey more palatable to Germans. In: The West. August 17, 2018, accessed October 5, 2019 .
- Daimler will cancel all party donations in 2019. In: Süsdeutsche Zeitung. April 21, 2019, accessed May 11, 2019 .
- Reinhard Zweigler: Günther puts pressure on CO2 taxes. In: Lübecker Nachrichten. June 7, 2019, accessed October 6, 2019 .
- Malte Kreutzfeldt: "Climate protection must be affordable". In: daily newspaper. July 2, 2019, accessed October 6, 2019 .
- Stuttgarter Nachrichten, Stuttgart Germany: Thomas Bareiß on first-time voters: CDU State Secretary causes excitement with tweet. Retrieved May 29, 2019 .
- Stuttgarter Nachrichten, Stuttgart Germany: According to video by blogger Rezo: YouTube criticism reveals weaknesses of the Union in dealing with the Internet. Retrieved May 29, 2019 .
- CDU politician complains about first-time voters after the European elections - moderator Buschmann counters sharply. May 28, 2019. Retrieved May 29, 2019 .
- "You always set an impulse on Twitter". Retrieved May 29, 2019 .
- Schwarzwälder Bote, Oberndorf Germany: Zollernalbkreis: First-time voter criticism: Today show gives Bareiß against - Black Forest Bote. Accessed May 31, 2019 .
- Thomas Bareiß website of the Europa-Union Deutschland. Retrieved January 11, 2018.
- Archabbey of St. Martin zu Beuron : Association of Friends of the Archabbey of St. Martin zu Beuron e. V. In: Archabbey of St.Martin zu Beuron. Retrieved October 5, 2019 .
- Training and Vocational Promotion Center Albstadt eV: Board of Directors & Members. In: Training and Vocational Promotion Center Albstadt eV Accessed on October 5, 2019 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German politician (CDU), Member of the Bundestag|
|DATE OF BIRTH||15th February 1975|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Albstadt - Ebingen|