Roger Lewentz (born March 19, 1963 in Oberlahnstein ) is a German politician ( SPD ). From May 2011 to May 2016 he was Rhineland-Palatinate Minister of the Interior, for Sports and Infrastructure . Since May 2016 he has been the Rhineland-Palatinate Minister of the Interior and for Sport and since 2012 Chairman of the SPD Rhineland-Palatinate .
Life and work
Lewentz grew up in what is now the Loreley association in Kamp-Bornhofen . After graduating from the Wilhelm-Hofmann-Gymnasium in St. Goarshausen , he trained as an administrative officer at the Federal Office for Defense Technology and Procurement in Koblenz. He also did his military service in Koblenz - in 1983/84, at that time the largest garrison town in Europe . He then worked again at the Federal Office for Defense Technology and Procurement until 1991. After winning the state election in Rhineland-Palatinate in 1991 , he moved under Prime Minister Rudolf Scharping as a speaker in the State Chancellery Rhineland-Palatinate .
He is Roman Catholic, married to a native Danish woman and has four children.
Lewentz has been a member of the SPD since 1984, was Juso district chairman of the Rhein-Lahn district and from 1989 to 1994 a member of the municipal council ; then until 2006 local mayor of Kamp-Bornhofen . From 1994 to 2006 he was a member of the Rhineland-Palatinate state parliament , in which he was deputy chairman of the SPD parliamentary group. In 1997 he became regional manager and in 2002 general secretary of the SPD of Rhineland-Palatinate. From 2006 to 2011 he was State Secretary in the Ministry of the Interior. With the formation of the new red-green Beck government in May 2011, he was promoted to the cabinet as Minister of the Interior, Infrastructure and Sport. After Kurt Beck's withdrawal , Lewentz was elected chairman of the SPD Rhineland-Palatinate with 95.3 percent of the votes cast at the state party conference on November 10, 2012, while Malu Dreyer became the new Prime Minister of Rhineland-Palatinate. He has been re-elected to this office since then, most recently at the state party congress on November 24, 2018 with around 93 percent of the delegate's votes. In the Dreyer I cabinet he remained Minister for Interior, Infrastructure and Sport. After the formation of the Dreyer II cabinet , he became Minister of the Interior and for Sport in May 2016.
In the 2015 calendar year he was head of the Conference of Interior Ministers (IMK).
In the Rhineland-Palatinate state election campaign in 2016 , the SPD sent Lewentz instead of Dreyer to the TV elephant round because the Prime Minister refused to publicly discuss with the AfD representatives .
- Landtag Rhineland-Palatinate (ed.): The members of the Landtag Rhineland-Palatinate: 14th electoral period . Mainz 2003
- Biography at the Landtag Rhineland-Palatinate
- Portrait of Roger Lewentz on the website of the Ministry of the Interior and for Sport of the State of Rhineland-Palatinate
- Internet presence by Roger Lewentz
- Roger Lewentz. In: Federal Council website. Retrieved February 4, 2017 .
- Beck successor: Lewentz presents himself as a candidate with team spirit . rhein-zeitung.de, October 18, 2011; accessed on March 2, 2016
- "Thank you, Kurt!": Kurt Beck clears the way for his successor , tagesspiegel.de , November 11, 2012
- SPD leader Lewentz re-elected with his second best result , swr.de , November 24, 2018
- Posse about TV appearance: SPD sends country chief Lewentz in TV debate with AfD . Spiegel Online , January 27, 2016; accessed on March 2, 2016
- Discussion about TV debate in RP Six parties come to the elephant round . SWR
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German politician (SPD), MdL|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 19, 1963|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Oberlahnstein|