Stelvio National Park
|Stelvio National Park|
|Location:||South Tyrol , Sondrio , Trentino , Brescia , Italy|
|Next city:||Meran , Tirano|
|Founding:||April 24, 1935|
|Address:||Parco Nazionale dello Stelvio
Via Roma, 26
- the autonomous province of Bolzano - South Tyrol in the region of Trentino-South Tyrol (communities Glurns , Laas , Latsch , Mals , Martell , Prad , Schlanders , Stilfs , Taufers and Ulten ),
- the province of Brescia in the Lombardy region (municipalities of Ponte di Legno , Temù , Vezza d'Oglio and Vione ),
- the province of Sondrio in the Region of Lombardy (municipalities Bormio , Livigno , Sondalo , Valdidentro , Valdisotto and Valfurva )
- the Autonomous Province of Trento in the Trentino-South Tyrol region (municipalities of Peio , Pellizzano and Rabbi ).
The national park is bordered in the north by the Val Müstair and the Vinschgau , in the east by the Ultental , in the south by Val di Sole and Valcamonica and in the west by the Valtellina and Val di Livigno .
In the north, the national park borders directly on the Swiss National Park in the Engadin in the canton of Graubünden . In the south it is only by the Valcamonica from Adamello in Lombardy and through the Val di Sole from Adamello-Brenta separated in Trentino.
Climate and altitude
The Stilfserjoch National Park has all alpine climatic zones:
- From the valley floor in the lower Vinschgau near Latsch at approx. 650 m above sea level. NN
- over wooded mountain slopes from 700 to about 2100 m above sea level. NN
- and pastures on grassy slopes at 2100 m above sea level. NN up to approx. 3000 m above sea level. NN
- up to high alpine glacier regions near the Ortler with up to 3905 m above sea level. NN.
It is characterized by a variety of alpine animals and plants. The Stilfserjoch National Park is one of the largest protected areas in the Alps.
Since the beginning of the 20th century, thought has been given to protecting the nature of the Ortler area. In 1935 the national park was finally established. However, the regulations did not follow until 1951. In 1977 the park was expanded. Until 1995, the national park was administered by the state forest and domain company, then by a national park consortium occupied by the Italian Ministry of the Environment , South Tyrol, Trentino and Lombardy. Further decentralization took place in 2016. Since then, South Tyrol, Trentino and Lombardy have exercised their own administrative competencies; the two autonomous provinces of South Tyrol and Trentino take over the financial resources instead of the state. A coordination and orientation committee made up of the three countries and the Ministry of the Environment, however, monitors common guidelines and a uniform appearance.
Probably the most important traffic connection within the national park, which connects Bormio with Prad , i.e. Lombardy with South Tyrol, is the Stilfser Joch . At 2757 m, this is the second highest pass in the Alps. The pass road, part of Strada Statale 38 dello Stelvio , is paved throughout and is usually open to traffic between the end of May and November. In August the road is closed to motorized traffic for one day and a cycling day is organized. In addition, the Swiss Umbrail Pass (2502 m) connects the Stelvio Pass road with Santa Maria in the Münstertal . The Passo di Gavia connects the places Bormio and Ponte di Legno .
- National Park House 1: naturatrafoi (in Trafoi )
- National Park House 2: aquaprad (in Prad )
- National Park House 3: culturamartell (in Martell )
- National Park House 4: Lahnersäge (in St. Gertraud in Ultental)
- National Park House 5: Avimundus (in Schlanders )
- National Park House 6: Torre Alberti (Bormio)
- National Park House 7: Pro Loco Valdidentro
- National Park House 8: Ponte di Legno
- National Park House 9: Rabbi
- National Park House 10: Peio
- www.stelviopark.it - website of the national park
- www.nationalpark-stelvio.it - official website of the Stilfserjoch National Park in South Tyrol
- The Stilfserjoch National Park in the portal of the South Tyrolean provincial administration
- Pages of the National Park Administration on Parks.it
- Map of the Stelvio National Park
- World Database on Protected Areas - Stilfserjoch National Park (English)
- Plan of the Stelvio National Park, Province of South Tyrol
- Stilfserjoch National Park - The new administration has started - The coordination committee in the Stilfserjoch National Park has been set up. Der Vinschger Wind, August 2, 2016, accessed on August 26, 2016 .
- Stelvio National Park: Visitor Centers & Museums. Retrieved June 11, 2020 .