Werner Best (politician, 1927)
education and profession
After attending secondary school, Best was drafted into the military in 1944 and graduated from high school after returning from captivity. He studied law and graduated in 1954 with the second state examination and in 1956 with a doctorate. in economics. From 1957 he worked as a lawyer in Wetzlar .
Werner Best was a member of the SPD and was a member of the Wetzlar district executive.
In terms of local politics, Best was active as a community representative in Waldgirmes and as a member of the district council from 1956 to 1965. In 1965, Best was elected district administrator in the Wetzlar district. He held this office until his appointment as Hessian Agriculture Minister on December 17, 1970. At the beginning of 1972 Werner Best was confronted by the opposition with the accusation that he had profited from his office in private property deals. While Best survived these allegations in office, he had to resign on October 8, 1973 because of the Hanau toxic waste scandal involving illegal practices in the disposal of hazardous waste by SPD member Plaumann.
Werner Best was a member of the Hessian state parliament from December 1, 1958 to November 30, 1978. From October 21, 1969 to December 8, 1970 he was chairman of the SPD parliamentary group, and from December 7, 1974 until he left the state parliament he was deputy parliamentary group chairman.
In 1959, 1964 and 1969 Best was a member of the Federal Assembly .
- Werner Best , Internationales Biographisches Archiv 13/1993 of March 22, 1993 (lm), in the Munzinger Archive ( beginning of article freely available)
- Jochen Lengemann : The Hessen Parliament 1946–1986 . Biographical handbook of the advisory state committee, the state assembly advising the constitution and the Hessian state parliament (1st – 11th electoral period). Ed .: President of the Hessian State Parliament. Insel-Verlag, Frankfurt am Main 1986, ISBN 3-458-14330-0 , p. 210 ( hessen.de [PDF; 12.4 MB ]).
- Jochen Lengemann: MdL Hessen. 1808-1996. Biographical index (= political and parliamentary history of the state of Hesse. Vol. 14 = publications of the Historical Commission for Hesse. Vol. 48, 7). Elwert, Marburg 1996, ISBN 3-7708-1071-6 , p. 73.
- Best, Werner. Hessian biography. (As of January 10, 2020). In: Landesgeschichtliches Informationssystem Hessen (LAGIS).
- Albrecht Kirschner: Final report of the working group on the preliminary study "Nazi past of former Hessian state parliament members" of the commission of the Hessian state parliament for the research project "Political and parliamentary history of the state of Hesse" . Hessischer Landtag , Wiesbaden 2013, p. 23. ( Online )
- Stone on stone . In: Der Spiegel . No. 13 , 1972 ( online ).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German politician (SPD), MdL|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 7, 1927|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Waldgirmes|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 10, 1993|
|Place of death||Waldgirmes|