Calendar overview 968
Magdeburg is raised to the archbishopric .
Adalbert becomes the first archbishop.
|968 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||416/417 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1511/12 (southern Buddhism); 1510/11 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||61st (62nd) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||330/331 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||357/358 (turn of the year November 24th / 25th)|
|Jewish calendar||4728/29 (August 26-27)|
ab urbe condita MDCCXXI (1721)
Diocletian's era : 684/685 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1278/79 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1279/80 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1024/25 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- Svyatoslaw I , Grand Duke of Kievan Rus , crosses the Danube and invades the Bulgarian Empire under Tsar Peter I with his troops . The Rus conquer about 80 fortresses and destroy the Bulgarian army. In order to defend his own empire against the Pechenegs , who - probably under the influence of Bulgarian diplomacy - are already in front of Kiev , Svyatoslav has to interrupt his campaign.
- The Byzantine Empire under Emperor Nikephorus II conquered the last territories of the emirate of Aleppo, weakened after the death of Saif ad-Daula .
North Africa and the Middle East
- After Kafur's death , he was succeeded by the minor Abu l-Fawaris as the last emir of the Ichschidids in Egypt . A little later, the Hasanide Abū Muhammad Ja Dfar ibn Muhammad seized power in Mecca . The rule of the Sherif of Mecca begins.
- Jayavarman V succeeds his father Rajendravarman II to the throne of the Khmer Empire of Angkor at the age of ten . Due to his young age, Councilors of the Throne are temporarily responsible for official politics.
First documentary mentions
- Balsthal , Courtelary , Haut-Vully , Laupersdorf , Matzendorf , Rocamadour (Lot) and Oensingen are first mentioned in a document.
- The resolution passed at the Synod of Ravenna last year on the initiative of Otto I to elevate Magdeburg to an archbishopric is implemented, combined with the establishment of the new dioceses of Merseburg , Zeitz and Meißen . Adalbert becomes the first archbishop. The death of Halberstadt Bishop Bernhard von Hadmersleben on February 3rd paved the way for the foundation of the new archdiocese. His successor Hildeward von Halberstadt , like the new Archbishop Hatto II of Mainz, has to agree to the loss of territory of his diocese.
- Boso becomes the first bishop of Merseburg .
- Burchard becomes the first bishop of Meissen .
- Hugo I. becomes the first bishop of Zeitz .
- With the Diocese of Poznan is the first Polish diocese founded .
- The Frisian nobleman Evermarus is canonized .
- November 29 : Kazan , Tennō of Japan († 1008 )
- December 23 : Song Zhenzong , Emperor of China († 1022 )
- Badi 'az-Zaman al-Hamadhani , Arab poet († 1007 )
- Olav I. Tryggvason , King of Norway († 1000 )
- Romanos III. , Emperor of the Byzantine Empire († 1034 )
Date of death secured
- February 3 : Bernhard von Hadmersleben , Bishop of Halberstadt (* before 923)
- March 2 : Wilhelm , Archbishop of Mainz (* 929 )
- March 14th : Mathilde , East Franconian Queen and saint of the Catholic Church (* around 895 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Kafur , Abyssinian eunuch, Emir of Egypt
- Mumadona Dias , Countess of Portugal and nun (* around 900 )
- al-Muttaqi , Abbasid caliph
- Rajendravarman II , King of the Khmer
- Vok , prince of the Slavnikids