State Police (Germany)
State police in Germany is the collective term for the entirety of all police authorities of a country in the area of responsibility of the respective interior ministry or the interior authority of the city states, in other words for all police forces of a country.
According to the Basic Law , the police, like the exercise of all state powers, is basically a matter for the Länder, cf. GG. Organization, tasks and powers are primarily regulated in the police laws of the federal states, in some countries the former is the subject of a separate police organization law.
The federal states have largely nationalized what used to be the communal police force, which means that they carry out the police tasks largely through state authorities themselves. Insofar as there are also municipal police forces, these do not belong to the state police any more than quasi- police authorities .
The state police in every country includes the law enforcement service , ie what is commonly understood today as “the police”. In any case, its tasks include the protection police and the criminal police . The demarcation of the two areas, as well as the subdivision of the police force, is very different from state to state, for example with regard to the relationship between the water police and the rest of the police or the organization of the traffic police and the motorway police . The motorway police are part of the traffic police in many countries.
Furthermore, training and further education facilities as well as, if necessary, a police administration office and the riot police belong to the state police.
After all, there is a State Criminal Police Office in every country , whose organizational relationship with the criminal police is also different.
The following table provides an overview of the state police forces in place in Germany. Details can be found in the article about the respective national police.
|state||Official name||Supervisory authority||structure||Servants|
|Baden-Württemberg||Police in Baden-Württemberg||Ministry of the Interior, Digitization and Migration Baden-Württemberg , Department 3 - State Police Headquarters||12 regional police headquarters
Police headquarters use
Technical, Logistics, Police Service Bureau
|Bavaria||Bavarian State Police||Bavarian State Ministry of the Interior, for Sport and Integration , IC Department - Public Safety and Order||10 police headquarters||41,400|
The police chief in Berlin
(in future: Berlin Police)
|Senate Department for Home Affairs and Sport , Department III - Public Security and Order||State Police Directorate with
Central service unit
|Brandenburg||Brandenburg police||Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs , Department 4 - Public Safety and Order, Police, Regulatory Law, Fire and Disaster Protection, Rescue Services||
Central Police Service
Special Services Directorate
|Bremen||Police Bremen||The Senator for Home Affairs , Department 3||
Central Operations Management Directorate
Directorate of the Criminal Police / State Criminal Police Office
Riot Police Directorate
State Water Police Directorate
Central Technical Services Directorate
Finance and Human Resources Directorate
|Hamburg||Hamburg police||Ministry of the Interior and Sport , Office of Internal Administration and Planning, Department 4 - Public Security, Fire and Civil Protection||
Police Department and Transport Directorate
3 water police commissioners
|Hesse||Hessian police||Hessian Ministry of the Interior and for Sport , LPP Department - State Police Headquarters||7 police headquarters
Riot Police Headquarters
Police Academy Hessen
|Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania||Police Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania||Ministry of the Interior and Europe of the State of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania , Department 4 - Police, Sport, Fire and Disaster Protection||2 police headquarters
4 criminal police inspections
State Water Police Office
State riot police
State office for central tasks and technology of the police, fire and disaster control
|Lower Saxony||Police of Lower Saxony||Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport , Department 2 - State Police Headquarters||6 police departments
Central Police Directorate
|North Rhine-Westphalia||North Rhine-Westphalia police||Ministry of the Interior of North Rhine-Westphalia , Department 4 - Police||47 district police authorities (18 of them as police headquarters )
State Office for Central Police Services
|Rhineland-Palatinate||Rhineland-Palatinate police||Ministry of the Interior and Sport Rhineland-Palatinate , Department 4 - Police||5 police headquarters in the area
Police headquarters, logistics and technology State Criminal Police Office
|Saarland||Police in Saarland||Saarland Ministry of the Interior, Building and Sport , Department D - Police Matters and Civil Protection||State Police Headquarters||2,802|
|Saxony||Police Saxony||Saxon State Ministry of the Interior , Department 3 - Public Security and Order, State Police Headquarters||5 police departments
Presidium of the riot police
Police Administration Office
|Saxony-Anhalt||Police Saxony-Anhalt||Ministry of the Interior and Sport of the State of Saxony-Anhalt , Department 2 - Public Safety and Order||3 police departments||8,000|
|Schleswig-Holstein||Schleswig-Holstein police||Ministry of the Interior, Rural Areas and Integration of the State of Schleswig-Holstein , Department IV 4 - Police Department||State Police Office
Police directorate for training and further education and for the riot police
|Thuringia||Thuringian police||Thuringian Ministry of the Interior and Local Affairs , Department 4 - Police||State Police Directorate
7 state police inspections
Motorway Police Inspection
- Hermann Groß: German state police. In: From Politics and Contemporary History (APuZ), No. 48/2008, November 14, 2008, pp. 20–26 (here on the website of the Federal Agency for Civic Education ).
- Frank Kawelovski, Sabine Mecking: Police in Transition. 70 years of police work in North Rhine-Westphalia . Greven: Cologne 2019, ISBN 978-3-7743-0903-6 .
- About us - Baden-Württemberg police. In: polizei-bw.de. Accessed January 1, 2020 .
- Bavarian Police - About Us. In: polizei.bayern.de. Retrieved December 30, 2016 .
- Police Headquarters. In: polizei.brandenburg.de. Accessed January 1, 2020 .
- Bremen police: Bremen. Why, surely! - About us. In: polizei.bremen.de. Accessed January 1, 2020 .
- How many pistols, cars or horses ?: Hamburg's police in numbers . In: MOPO.de . May 31, 2011 ( mopo.de [accessed December 30, 2016]).
- Dual studies | Police Hesse. In: wegweiser-duales-studium.de. Accessed January 1, 2020 .
- VDP GmbH: LKA-Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. In: kriminalpolizei.de. Accessed December 31, 2016 .
- Departments | Portal of the Lower Saxony police. In: polizei.niedersachsen.de. Accessed December 31, 2016 .
- Police NRW: Organization of the Police NRW. In: polizei.nrw.de. Accessed January 1, 2020 .
- Union GdP: The police in Rhineland-Palatinate are threatened with staff chaos. In: THE WORLD. Accessed December 31, 2016 .
- VDP GmbH: LKA-Saarland. In: kriminalpolizei.de. Accessed December 31, 2016 .
- Police Saxony - Department of Personnel, Basic and Advanced Training of the Police. In: polizei.sachsen.de. Accessed January 1, 2020 .
- VDP GmbH: LKA-Schleswig-Holstein. In: kriminalpolizei.de. Accessed December 31, 2016 .
- Thuringia is reluctant to use auxiliary police officers . In: inSüdthüringen.de . December 15, 2016 ( insuedthueringen.de [accessed December 31, 2016]).