|province||Reggio Emilia (RE)|
|Residents||13,509 (Dec. 31, 2019)|
|Population density||232 inhabitants / km²|
|Patron saint||San Cassiano|
|Website||Official website of the municipality|
Novellara is a small Italian town with 13,509 inhabitants (as of December 31, 2019) in the province of Reggio Emilia in the Emilia-Romagna region , between Parma and Bologna . The current name is derived from the medieval Italian word nubilaria (dt. About haze, fog) and refers to the time when the landscape surrounding the city was considerably more humid than it is today and long-lasting and dense fog often formed. The economic basis is agriculture, especially the dairy industry and small industry.
The history of the city has been closely linked to the Gonzaga family since 1280 , who maintained an important residence here for four centuries. The Gonzagas' rule ended in 1737 when the county of Novellara fell to Modena .
Sights and special features
The most famous attraction of the place is La Rocca , a castle originally built in 1385 by the Gonzaga family , which was rebuilt in the Renaissance and expanded to include an opera house in the 19th century. The building complex now also houses the Gonzaga Museum and the Museo della Civiltà Contadina (Peasant Museum).
In 2000 the then President of the EU Commission Romano Prodi inaugurated a Gurdwara in Novellara. It is the second largest Sikh temple in Europe. In the province of Reggio Emilia there are around 2,800 Sikh who are mainly involved in the dairy industry.
sons and daughters of the town
- Lelio Orsi , painter and architect (1511–1587)
- Camillo II Gonzaga di Novellara , Count of Novellara (1581–1650)
- Vittorio Marchi, chemist and physician (1851–1908)
- Augusto Daolio , singer and poet (1947–1992)
Novallera maintains the following partnerships with the following municipalities and cities:
- Nový Jičín ( Czech Republic ) - since 1964
- Neve Shalom ( Israel ) - since 1994
- Sancti Spíritus ( Cuba ) - since 1998
- Santa Gertrudes ( Brazil ) - since 1999
- Statistiche demografiche ISTAT. Monthly population statistics of the Istituto Nazionale di Statistica , as of December 31 of 2019.
- Catholic news agency Zenit ( Memento of the original from March 27, 2005 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , queried April 10, 2007
- Service to the cattle . In: Der Spiegel . No. 48 , 2008, p. 138 ( online ).
- Immi-Train, case studies on the employment of immigrants ( Memento of the original from September 28, 2007 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (PDF; 407 kB)