Olympic Winter Games 1972 / Participant (GDR)
With four won gold, three silver and seven bronze medals, the team of the GDR took 2nd place in the medals table .
- Wolfgang Scheidel : Tobogganing, gentlemen, single-seaters
- Horst Hörnlein and Reinhard Bredow : tobogganing, gentlemen, two-seaters
- Anna-Maria Müller : tobogganing, women, single-seaters
- Ulrich Wehling : Nordic skiing, Nordic combined
- Hansjörg Knauthe : Biathlon, men, 20 km
- Harald Ehrig : Tobogganing, gentlemen, single-seaters
- Ute Rührold : tobogganing, women, single-seaters
- Hansjörg Knauthe , Joachim Meischner , Dieter Speer and Horst Koschka : Biathlon, men, 4 × 7.5 km relay
- Manuela Groß and Uwe Kagelmann : figure skating, pair skating
- Wolfram Fiedler : Tobogganing, men, single-seaters
- Klaus-Michael Bonsack and Wolfram Fiedler : tobogganing, men, two-seaters
- Margit Schumann : tobogganing, women, single-seaters
- Karl-Heinz Luck : Nordic skiing, Nordic combined
- Rainer Schmidt : Nordic skiing, ski jumping, large hill
Participants by sport
With Hansjörg Knauthe, the biathletes provided one of the most successful GDR representatives. The good placements in the individual decision were reflected in relay bronze.
- Hansjörg Knauthe (SG Dynamo Zinnwald)
- Dieter Speer (SG Dynamo Zinnwald)
Günter Bartnik (SG Dynamo Zinnwald)
- Individual (20 km): 15th place
- Horst Koschka (SG Dynamo Zinnwald)
- Joachim Meischner (SG Dynamo Zinnwald)
The figure skaters won a medal in pair skating. The very young athletes, the oldest participants were 21 years old, were able to place in all competitions among the top eight.
Only two women competed in speed skating, men did not start. Rosemarie Taupadel was able to achieve a remarkable 5th place over 1500 m.
Ruth Budzisch (SC Dynamo Berlin)
- 500 m: 13th place
- 1000 m: 33rd place
Rosemarie Taupadel (SC Dynamo Berlin)
- 1000 m: 12th place
- 1500 m: 5th place
- 3000 m: 15th place
The luge competitions became GDR championships with international participation. Only one medal was given to the competition, the Italian two-seater Paul Hildgartner / Walter Plaikner became Olympic champions at the same time as Hörnlein / Bredow.
Renate Fischer achieved a single-digit placement among women cross-country skiers. In the season, Anni Unger lost the fight for fourth place in the sprint to the finish against Michaela Endler from Germany.
In the men's category, Gert-Dietmar Klause in particular attracted attention with two single-digit placements. The season, which had won silver at the 1970 World Cup with the same line-up, ended up in 6th place.
The GDR representatives had nothing to order on the small hill. In a competition on the large hill, which was very much influenced by the external conditions, Rainer Schmidt was able to advance from eighth place to bronze place, only 0.5 points behind Walter Steiner, who placed second, and 0.6 points behind Olympic champion Wojciech Fortuna , but also only 0 , 1 point ahead of the fourth Tauno Käyhkö . Manfred Wolf, who was still third after the first round, fell back to fifth.
Hans-Georg Aschenbach (ASK Forward Brotterode)
- Normal hill: 31st place
- Rainer Schmidt (SC Motor Zella-Mehlis)
Manfred Wolf (ASK Forward Brotterode)
- Normal hill: 38th place
- Large hill: 5th place
Henry Glaß (SC Dynamo Klingenthal)
- Normal hill: 18th place
- Large hill: 20th place
Heinz Wosipiwo (SC Dynamo Klingenthal)
- Large hill: 39th place
Ulrich Wehling was the name of the surprise winner from Sapporo. The hitherto unknown young athlete was fourth after jumping. With the third fastest run time, he took almost two minutes from the Finn Rauno Miettinen, who had been second up until then , and won gold. Karl-Heinz Luck with the fastest running time from 17th place improved almost sensationally to bronze after jumping.
- Ulrich Wehling (SC Traktor Oberwiesenthal)
- Karl-Heinz Luck (SC Motor Zella-Mehlis)
Hans Hartleb (SC Motor Zella-Mehlis)
- Individual (normal hill 70 m / 15 km): 18th place
Günter Deckert (SC Dynamo Klingenthal)
- Individual (normal hill 70 m / 15 km): 9th place
Medals by sports
|Medal table (based on the decisions)|
Medals according to sports clubs
|Medal table (based on the individual athletes)|
|2||SC tractor Oberwiesenthal||2||3||3||8th|
|3||SG Dynamo Zinnwald||0||1||4th||5|
|4th||SC Dynamo Berlin||0||0||2||2|
|SC Motor Zella-Mehlis||0||0||2||2|
Participants by sports clubs
|SC Dynamo Klingenthal||6th||2||8th|
|SC tractor Oberwiesenthal||4th||4th||8th|
|SC Dynamo Berlin||1||4th||5|
|SG Dynamo Zinnwald||5||0||5|
|SC Motor Zella-Mehlis||3||0||3|
|ASK forward Brotterode||2||0||2|
- Presentation of the nominated athletes in the BZ on January 19, 1972 p. 8
- Olympic team of the GDR 1972 in the database of Sports-Reference (English; archived from the original )