|coat of arms||Germany map|
|Management Community :||Dolmar salt bridge|
|Height :||320 m above sea level NHN|
|Area :||15.89 km 2|
|Residents:||747 (Dec. 31, 2019)|
|Population density :||47 inhabitants per km 2|
|Postal code :||98617|
|Area code :||036949|
|License plate :||SM, MGN|
|Community key :||16 0 66 081|
|Association administration address:||Zella-Meininger Str. 6
|Mayor :||Andreas Baumann ( CDU )|
|Location of the municipality of Vachdorf in the district of Schmalkalden-Meiningen|
The place was first mentioned in 840 as Fachkedorp in a document from Emperor Ludwig the Pious . Exhibited at Ketzicha, today's Bad Kissingen , it is kept in the British Library in London. The Förderverein Kirchenburg Vachdorf e. V. has been trying to restore the fortified church since 1998 . Vachdorf was originally a fortified Carolingian royal estate. The fortified facility is located in today's village in the middle of the Werra lowland. In 1230 a Konrad von Vachdorf was named as a servant of the Bishop of Würzburg . In 1435 the Bishop of Würzburg pledged the places Vachdorf and Leutersdorf to the Counts of Henneberg -Schleusingen. The pledge was not redeemed until 1495. In 1542 Vachdorf came to the Counts of Henneberg-Schleusingen as part of the Meiningen exclave in Würzburg . After their extinction, Vachdorf and the Meiningen office came to the Wettins in 1583 . The hat tower of the fortification is still in its original state.
Vachdorf was persecuted by witches from 1619 to 1665: 16 people, 14 women and two men, got into witch trials . Eleven women were executed; the outcome of four trials is unknown. The last victim in 1665 was Margaretha, Hans Bauer's wife.
The local council from Vachdorf is composed of 7 councilors.
- CDU 3 seats
- Heimatverein 2 seats
- Fire Brigade Association 2 seats
(Status: local elections 2019)
The honorary mayor Andreas Baumann has been in office since 2016.
Leisure, culture and sights
The Trinity Church was built in the 1660s. The hat tower of the Vachdorf church castle is the last of the presumably four inner corner towers. The tower, which burned down in 1918, was called the Hutzelturm for 88 years because of the missing hat, until it was rebuilt in 2006. With a height of 18.70 m, it is the landmark of Vachdorf.
Above the village, near the road to Marisfeld, there is a refuge on the Krayenberg built by the local history association. From there you can enjoy a view of Vachdorf and the middle Werra valley through the steep rock drop.
Clubs and groups
- Sports Association Vachdorf eV
- Vachdorfer Karnevalsverein eV
- Fire Brigade Association Vachdorf eV
- Friends of the "Kirchenburg" Vachdorf eV
- Fishing club "Steinfelder" Vachdorf eV
- Country women Vachdorf
- Vachdorfer Schützenverein eV
- Heimatverein Vachdorf eV
- Association for the Upper Werratal Cultural Landscape Park eV
- Vachdorf hunting company
- Church choir Vachdorf
- Vachdorf pensioners' club
- At the end of January / beginning of February there is carnival in Vachdorf with a handmade paper evening. One move takes place every 5 years, the last in 2016 for the 55th anniversary.
- At the beginning of May, the fire brigade association organized a spring festival and the traditional "tree burning" after the Christmas holidays.
- Whit Monday is organized by the Heimatverein on the Krayen, the local mountain of the Vachdorfer, with an amazing view of the local area.
- Every two to four years at the end of June / beginning of July there is a large eco-friendly festival in Vachdorf, with numerous visitors from all over the world.
- In summer you can be active as part of a game and sports festival.
- Since 1998, the Open Monument Day has been organized by the Fortified Churches Association in September .
- Every year i. d. Usually on the last weekend in October there is a 4-day costume fair, also known as "Bötzekermes". This begins on Thursdays with the setting up of the tree and "drinking".
- The rural women organize "lively advent calendar evenings" and a Christmas market during Advent. In addition, the bakery is stoked up several times a year to bake onion cake.
- Werratal organic market
The federal road 89 leads through the village from Meiningen in the direction of Themar . Vachdorf is 5 km from the Autobahn exit ( A 71 ) Meiningen-Süd in the direction of Hildburghausen . Vachdorf has a stop on the Eisenach – Lichtenfels railway line .
- Population of the municipalities from the Thuringian State Office for Statistics ( help on this ).
- Michael Köhler : Thuringian castles and fortified prehistoric and early historical living spaces. Jenzig-Verlag Köhler, Jena 2001, ISBN 3-910141-43-9 , pp. 256-257.
- Kai Lehmann : Innocent. Witch hunt south of the Thuringian Forest. Over 500 researched cases from the 16th and 17th centuries. Wehry-Verlag, Untermaßfeld 2012, ISBN 978-3-9813902-8-5 , p. 373 f .; Kai Lehmann: Exhibition "Luther and the Witches". Vachdorf area, Library Museum Schloss Wilhelmsburg Schmalkalden, 2012; Ronald Füssel: The persecution of witches in the Thuringian area (= publications of the working group for historical witchcraft and crime research in Northern Germany. Vol. 2). DOBU-Verlag, Hamburg 2003, ISBN 3-934632-03-3 , pp. 240–244, (at the same time: Marburg, University, dissertation, 2000).
- Website of the Vachdorf organic market. Retrieved September 25, 2017 .
Vachdorf on the website of the administrative association. Retrieved September 25, 2017 .