4th century BC Chr.
Portal history | Portal Biographies | Current events | Annual calendar
2nd mill. Chr. |
1st millennium BC Chr. |
◄ | 6th century BC Chr. | 5th century BC Chr. | 4th century BC Chr. | 3rd century BC Chr. | 2nd century BC Chr. | ►
390 BC Chr. | 380s BC Chr. | 370 BC Chr. | 360 BC Chr. | 350s BC Chr. | 340 BC Chr. | 330s BC Chr. | 320s BC Chr. | 310s BC Chr. | 300s BC Chr.
The 4th century BC Chr. Began on January 1, v 400th Chr. And ending December 31, v three hundred and first Chr.
Events and developments
- 396 BC BC : Destruction of the Etruscan capital Veji by the Roman dictator Marcus Furius Camillus
- 387 BC BC : The Celts , under the leadership of Brennus , conquer Rome .
- 367 BC BC : Leges Liciniae Sextiae : Plebeians gain political influence in Rome and provide one of the two consuls in the future .
- The Samnite Wars (from 343 BC to 290 BC) lead to an increase in power for Rome in central Italy.
Eastern Mediterranean and Western Asia
- 395 BC BC - 387 BC BC : The Corinthian War ends with the peace of the king .
- 387 BC BC : Plato founds his academy (philosophy school) in Athens .
- 371 BC BC : Thebes wins against Sparta and wins the supremacy in Greece .
- 360 BC BC : Nectanebos II takes over the office as the last pharaoh of Egyptian descent .
- 359 BC BC : Philip II becomes king of Macedonia .
- 356 BC BC : Herostratos burns the temple of Artemis in Ephesus .
- 338 BC BC : Macedonia defeats the alliance of Athens and Thebes in the battle of Chaeronea .
- 337 BC BC : Corinthian League : all Greek cities (except Sparta) recognize the Macedonian King Philip II as a hegemon . The war against Persia (vengeance for the destruction of Athens in 480 BC) is decided.
- 336 BC BC : Alexander the great becomes king of Macedonia after the assassination of Philip.
- 335 BC BC : Aristotle founds his school, the Lykeion , in Athens .
- 335 BC Chr .: Dareios III. becomes great king of Persia .
- 335 BC BC: The Thracians are subjugated by Alexander the Great.
- 334 BC BC : Alexander the Great begins the Persian campaign with 5,000 horsemen and 30,000 foot soldiers. Victory on Granikos and breaking of the Gordian knot .
- 333 BC BC : Alexander the Great wins over the Persian King Dareios III. in the battle of Issus ("333 at Issus brawl").
- 331 BC BC : Alexander the great founds Alexandria , coronation of Alexander in Memphis as the successor of the pharaohs .
- 323 BC BC : Alexander dies in Babylon without heirs, the Diadoch Wars begin.
- 301 BC BC : After the battle of Ipsos , the division of the Alexander Empire is final.
- 360 BC BC : Construction of the Chang-Jiang Canal in China. The Eastern Zhou Dynasty rules the Empire of China during the Warring States Period .
- around 320 BC BC: Foundation of the Maurya Empire in India
- around 400 BC BC : eruption of the Popocatépetl in Mexico
- around 400 BC BC : eruption of the Xitle in Mexico
- around 300 BC BC : Teotihuacán appears in the highlands of Mexico for the first time as a political power alongside Cuicuilc and Tlatilco .
- 396 BC BC : Xenocrates , Greek philosopher († 314 BC)
- 384 BC BC : Aristotle , Greek philosopher († 322 BC)
- 356 BC Chr .: Alexander the Great , Macedonian king and general († 323 BC)
- around 341 BC BC : Epicurus , Greek philosopher († about 270 BC)
- around 325 BC BC : Zenodotos , Greek philologist and first head of the library of Alexandria († 260 BC ).
- 305 BC Chr .: Callimachos of Cyrene , Greek philologist and librarian († 240 BC ).
- 399 BC BC : Socrates , Greek philosopher (* 469 BC ).
- 395 BC Chr . : Lysander , Spartan statesman and general.
- around 385 BC BC : Aristophanes , Greek satirist and comedy poet (* around 445 BC ).
- 380 BC BC : Philoxenus of Kythera , Greek dithyramb poet (* around 435 BC ).
- 354 BC Chr . : Xenophon , Greek writer and historian (* around 428 BC ).
- 347 BC BC : Plato , Greek philosopher (* around 427 BC ).
- 336 BC BC : Philip II , King of Macedonia, is murdered.
- 330 BC Chr . : Dareios III. , Persian king, is murdered.
- 323 BC Chr .: Alexander the great dies in Babylon of a febrile illness (* 356 BC ).
- 322 BC BC : Aristotle , Greek philosopher (* 384 BC ).
Commons : 4th century BC Chr. - collection of pictures, videos and audio files