|Canton :||Geneva (GE)|
|District :||No district division|
|BFS no. :||6644|
|Postal code :||1290|
|Height range :||372–472 m above sea level M.|
|Area :||10.50 km²|
|Residents:||13,432 (December 31, 2018)|
|Population density :||1279 inhabitants per km²|
Proportion of foreigners :
|41.8% (December 31, 2018)|
Versoix city center
|Location of the municipality|
The Versoix River, which has its source on French territory, flows out at Versoix .
The main road 1 runs through the village, to the west of it the motorway 1 with junction 8 - Versoix. The community is located on the Lausanne – Geneva railway line , which has been continuously navigable since 1858.
Versoix is best known for its port, which was one of the main poles of trade on Lake Geneva in the 14th century, and its village surroundings, which have been well preserved, despite the fact that Versoix received city status during the 1990s (in Switzerland Places with more than 10,000 inhabitants are considered cities). From 1571 until it was lost to France in 1621, the rule (from 1598 the Marquisate) Versoix belonged to the Bernese patrician family von Wattenwyl .
Legislative - Local Council
The legislative power is exercised by the municipal council (conseil municipal) . It has 27 seats and is elected directly by the people every five years using proportional representation with a 7 percent hurdle. The municipal council determines the city budget and votes on submissions from the city government (conseil administratif) . He can also launch initiatives himself. The graphic above shows the distribution of seats after the last municipal elections in March 2020.
- Albert Josef Hofmann (1933–2018), physicist born in Versoix, university professor and CERN researcher
- Delphine Klopfenstein Broggini (* 1976), Grand Councilor and National Councilor (Greens)
- Versoix on the ETHorama platform
- Official website of the municipality of Versoix
- Versoix on elexikon.ch
- Permanent and non-permanent resident population by year, canton, district, municipality, population type and gender (permanent resident population). In: bfs. admin.ch . Federal Statistical Office (FSO), August 31, 2019, accessed on December 22, 2019 .
- Population résidante selon l'origine et le sexe, par commune, depuis 2013 . (XLS, 147 kB) In: ge.ch. Statistical Office of the Canton of Geneva ( Office cantonal de la statistique - OCSTAT), March 7, 2019, accessed on May 2, 2019 (French).
- Élection des conseils municipaux du 15 mars 2020. Retrieved on March 15, 2020 (French).