|Canton :||Geneva (GE)|
|District :||No district division|
|BFS no. :||6631|
|Postal code :||1213|
|Height range :||369–433 m above sea level M.|
|Area :||2.81 km²|
|Residents:||18,964 (December 31, 2018)|
|Population density :||6749 inhabitants per km²|
Proportion of foreigners :
|36.3% (December 31, 2018)|
|Location of the municipality|
Onex is located south of the Rhone and north of the Aire , about 5 km southwest of the center of Geneva . The neighboring municipalities are south Plan-les-Ouates , west Confignon and Bernex , north Vernier and southeast Lancy . Onex is connected to Geneva's public transport network by tram line 14 and several bus routes.
The city has 18,964 inhabitants, 36% of whom are foreigners.
Between 1900 and 2010, the population of Onex increased by more than 60 times, i.e. from 279 (on the 40th place out of 45 Geneva municipalities) to 17,642 inhabitants (sixth largest municipality in Geneva). Around 80% of the population are French as their mother tongue, followed by 4.7% Italian as their mother tongue.
Legislative - Local Council
|} The legislative power is exercised by the municipal council (conseil municipal) . It has 31 seats and is elected directly by the people every five years using proportional representation with a 7 percent hurdle. The municipal council determines the city budget and votes on submissions from the city government (conseil administratif) . He can also launch initiatives himself. The graphic on the right shows the distribution of seats after the last municipal elections in March 2020.
Onex maintains partnerships with
- Bandol in the Var department (France)
- Liestal , capital of the Swiss canton of Basel-Country
- Massagno near Lugano in the Swiss canton of Ticino
- Nettuno in Lazio in Italy
- Weir in Baden-Württemberg in Germany
- Salle Communale d'Onex
- Permanent and non-permanent resident population by year, canton, district, municipality, population type and gender (permanent resident population). In: bfs. admin.ch . Federal Statistical Office (FSO), August 31, 2019, accessed on December 22, 2019 .
- Population résidante selon l'origine et le sexe, par commune, depuis 2013 . (XLS, 147 kB) In: ge.ch. Statistical Office of the Canton of Geneva ( Office cantonal de la statistique - OCSTAT), March 7, 2019, accessed on May 2, 2019 (French).
- Élection des conseils municipaux du 15 mars 2020. Retrieved on March 15, 2020 (French).
- Salle Communale d'Onex on ETHorama