After studying theater studies at the University of Vienna and internships with Jean Vilar and Peter Stein , Fritsch founded the cafetheater in Vienna in 1967 as a venue for experimental theater . He then worked as Director in Residence at the La MaMa Theater in New York . From 1973 he was a freelance director.
After a large number of directing work at theaters in German-speaking countries and a number of television works, he increasingly turned to radio plays . He produced more than 300 radio plays. Here he managed to become one of the most prominent directors in the German-speaking world. His work was characterized by analytical sharpness, but also a masterful use of musical elements and rhythm. For several years he taught radio drama and radio art at the University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna . From 1972 he lived in Vienna. Fritsch died in August 2018, a few months after his 75th birthday, after a long, serious illness. On the occasion of his death, the radio station Ö1 broadcast its last production for ORF on August 18, 2018, an adaptation of the novel For the Ruler from Overseas by Teresa Präauer . He was buried in an honorary grave of the City of Vienna.
He has received a variety of national and international prizes, including the ORF radio play award seven times . In 2006, Götz Fritsch received the German Audiobook Prize in the Best of All category for his directorial work on the audio book “Unter dem Milchwald” . In 2010 he received the German Audiobook Prize for his directorial work on the audio book "Thomas Bernhard, Siegfried Unseld: Briefwechsel" in the Best Information category (production hr2 Kultur; Hörverlag / Munich, read by Peter Simonischek and Gert Voss ) . From 2010 he was a member of the German Academy of Performing Arts .
- The King David Report, an audio CD, 75 minutes, Der Audio Verlag, March 2000, speakers: Christian Redl , Hilmar Thate, Rolf Hoppe u. a., editing and direction: Götz Fritsch, production: Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk, ISBN 3-89813-065-7 .
- Under the milk forest . Translated by Erich Fried , music: Peter Kaizar . Direction: Götz Fritsch, with Harry Rowohlt , Boris Aljinovic , Hilmar Thate , Irm Hermann , Ursula Karusseit , Ulrike Krumbiegel , Winfried Glatzeder , Fritz Lichtenhahn , Gerd Baltus , Gudrun Ritter , Karin Gregorek , Herbert Fritsch , Käthe Reichel , Stefan Wigger , Klaus Herm , Sophie Rois , Margit Bendokat , Carmen-Maja Antoni , Horst Hiemer , Hans-Joachim Hegewald , Klaus Manchen , Martin Seifert , Thomas Neumann u. a., production: MDR . DHV - Der Hörverlag 2005, 2 CDs, ISBN 3-89940-492-0 .
- Schöne Aussicht ARD Radio-Tatort , director: Götz Fritsch, MDR Figaro / Der Hörverlag 2008, ISBN 978-3-86717-264-6 .
Radio plays (selection)
- 1972: Peter Turrini : Faust 3 (Director - ORF-Studio Niederösterreich)
- 1981: Herbert J. Wimmer : Restricted Household (Director - SDR )
- 1984: Dino Buzzati : The Fortress (Director - Broadcasting of the GDR )
- 1985: Friederike Mayröcker : Death and the Maiden - director (radio play - ORF )
- 1985: Peter Shaffer : Amadeus - director (radio play - radio of the GDR)
- 1988: Götz Fritsch: Das Mündel - Director (ORF / BR)
- 1989: Patricia Highsmith : Ripley Under Ground (radio play adaptation and direction - HR / SWF)
- 1992: Jura Soyfer : Broadway-Melodie 1492 - director (radio play - ORF / DS-Kultur / MDR)
- 1993: Miodrag Krencer : The Man Who Almost Lost Monday - Director (Radio Play - MDR)
- 1995: Stefan Heym : The King David Report (radio play adaptation and direction - MDR )
- 1995: Jerzy Gorzanski : Das Flugzeug - director (radio play - ORF / MDR)
- 1996: Melchior Schedler : Future of fornication. Ein Nachtstück - Direction (radio play - MDR)
- 1996: Friedrich Bestereiner : Hotel Magic Holiday - all inclusive - director (radio play - ORB / MDR)
- 1997: Wolfgang Bauer : Dream Jockey (radio play adaptation and direction - ORF / BR)
- 1997: Erhard Schmied : As often as you want - Director (radio play - ORB / MDR)
- 1997: Miodrag Krencer: Time of the Wolves - Director (radio play - ORB / MDR)
- 1999: Johann Wolfgang Goethe : Wilhelm Meistes apprenticeship years - 3 parts - direction (radio play - BR / MDR)
- 1999: Wolf Haas : Resurrection of the Dead (radio play adaptation and direction - ORF / WDR)
- 1999: Albert Wendt: Abele and the pale Moff (MDR / SWF)
- 2000: Wolf Haas: The Bone Man (radio play adaptation and direction - ORF / MDR)
- 2000: Albert Wendt: Padulidu and Lorelei (MDR / WDR)
- 2001: Stefan Vögel : A good game (MDR)
- 2001: Albert Wendt: Marta-Maria on the mirror cabinet (MDR / WDR)
- 2001: Albert Wendt: Marta-Maria on the garbage bag (MDR / WDR)
- 2002: Wolf Haas: Come, sweet death (radio play adaptation and direction - ORF / WDR)
- 2002: Werner Buhss: O who you think about everything, Tiresias , (MDR)
- 2003: Dylan Thomas : Unter dem Milchwald - Director (radio play - MDR)
- 2003: Pietro Aretino : The Conversations of the Divine Pietro Aretino 4 parts, (MDR)
- 2003: Albert Wendt: The tenderly winged steamroller - New adventures with Adrian and Lavender (MDR)
- 2005: Wolf Haas: Silentium! (Radio play adaptation and direction - ORF / BR)
- 2005: Martin Andersen Nexø : Pelle, the Conqueror 2 parts (MDR)
- 2005: David Zane Mairowitz : Der Agonietroll (MDR)
- 2005: Eva Förster: The Second Woman (MDR)
- 2006: Wolf Haas: The Eternal Life (radio play adaptation and direction - ORF / BR)
- 2006: Hans Bräunlich : Wasps in the snow (MDR)
- 2006: Rolf Schneider : After the love affair (MDR)
- 2007: Ángel Vázquez : The dog life of Juanita Narboni (MDR)
- 2007: Wieland Förster : The interrogations at night (MDR)
- 2008: Volkmar Röhrig : Schöne Aussicht - director (radio play - MDR)
- 2008: Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach : Das Gemeindekind - director (radio play - ORF / MDR)
- 2008: Rolf Schneider: The Ernst Winter Affair (MDR)
- 2009: Jürg Amann : Im Zug der Zeit - Director (radio play - ORF)
- 2009: Thilo Reffert : Schlußlicht - director (radio play - MDR)
- 2009: Mordecai Richler : Barneys Version (MDR)
- 2010: Thilo Reffert: Engelsstaub - director (radio play - MDR)
- 2010: Joseph Roth : The Escape Without End - director (radio play - MDR)
- 2010: André Herzberg: Conversation with my mother - director (radio play - MDR / DLR)
- 2011: Thilo Reffert: Fischers Fall - director (radio play - MDR)
- 2012: Thilo Reffert: Altes Eisen - director (radio play - MDR)
- 2013: Thilo Reffert: Fathers and Daughters - Director (radio play - MDR)
- 2014: Thilo Reffert: Kurschatten - director (radio play - MDR)
- 2014: Daniel Kehlmann : The Mentor - Director (radio play - MDR / WDR / ORF)
- 2015: Thilo Reffert: A blooming land - director (radio play - MDR)
- 2016: Thilo Reffert: Hundert von Hundert - Director (radio play - MDR)
- 2017: Thilo Reffert: No means No - Director (radio play - MDR)
- Literature by and about Götz Fritsch in the catalog of the German National Library
- Götz Fritsch in the ARD audio play database
- Susanna Dal Monte: veteran director Götz Fritsch has passed away. In: Ö1 . Lunch Journal, August 14, 2018
- Götz Fritsch. In: The European Theater and its Audience - 1968 Europe Talk 11, Vienna (= Wiener Schriften. Heft 28). Jugend und Volk, Vienna / Munich 1969, limited preview in the Google book search). , p. 246 (
- Götz Fritsch in the search for the deceased at friedhoefewien.at. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- Götz Fritsch. In: filmportal.de . German Film Institute , accessed on February 2, 2019 .
- Radio play director Götz Fritsch has died. In: The Standard . August 13, 2018, accessed August 13, 2018.
- On the death of Götz Fritsch: An absolutely sure ear for wrong notes. Moderation: Sigrid Brinkmann . In: Deutschlandfunk Kultur . August 13, 2013, accessed March 22, 2020.
- La MaMa Theater, New York.
- Götz Fritsch ( Memento from May 16, 2009 in the Internet Archive ). In: Schreibwerkstatt-radio.de, accessed on March 22, 2020.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German theater and radio play director|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 25, 1943|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 11, 2018 or August 12, 2018|
|Place of death||Vienna|