Peter Maria Simonischek (born August 6, 1946 in Graz ) is an Austrian actor . From 2002 to 2009 he played Jedermann at the Salzburg Festival . He has been a member of the Burgtheater ensemble since 1999 and an honorary member of the Burgtheater since 2019 .
Peter Simonischek spent his childhood in Markt Hartmannsdorf in southeast Styria , where his father was a dentist. He spent his middle school years in the boarding school of the Stiftsgymnasium in Sankt Paul im Lavanttal , where he appeared several times in the school theater. The father wanted him to study medicine, which the son was reluctant to do. Instead, he began studying architecture at the Technical University in Graz. At the same time, under pressure from his father, he began training as a dental technician, which he did not finish.
During his time at the university, Simonischek's interest in acting grew and he secretly registered at the Academy for Music and Performing Arts in Graz. After completing his studies, he was initially engaged in St. Gallen , Bern and at the Schauspielhaus in Düsseldorf , then from 1979 to 1999 as an ensemble member of the Berlin Schaubühne under the direction of Peter Stein and later Andrea Breth . Peter Simonischek has been a member of the Vienna Burgtheater ensemble since the 1999/2000 season .
Since 1982 he played leading roles in the Salzburg Festival since the summer of 2002 (until 2009), the title role in everyone by Hugo von Hofmannsthal . Since 1995 Simonischek has played in the German-language premiere of Yasmina Reza's satire " Art ."
In 2016, Simonischek won the title role in Maren Ade's feature film Toni Erdmann, internationally known and highly praised by the specialist critics . In the same year he was the first Austrian actor to win the European Film Award for Best Actor for the role of an aging music teacher who wants to lure his joyless manager daughter (played by Sandra Hüller ) out of the reserve in the shape of a weird alter ego .
From the divorced marriage with the actress Charlotte Schwab , the son Max , who is also an actor, emerged. Peter Simonischek has been married to the Carinthian actress Brigitte Karner since August 26, 1989 . From this marriage he has two sons who received their musical training with the Vienna Boys' Choir .
- Schauspielhaus Graz
- Schaubühne Berlin
- Three sisters
- From morning to midnight
- The lonely way
- Salzburg Festival
- Burgtheater Vienna
- John Gabriel Borkman
- Judgment Day
- The little girl from Heilbronn
- Dream in autumn by Jon Fosse , world premiere
- Last call by Albert Ostermaier , world premiere
- The Maid of Orleans
- The incorruptible (Theodor)
- The goat or Who is Sylvia? (Director: Andrea Breth )
- On the ground floor and first floor (Director: Anselm Weber )
- A Midsummer Night's Dream (Director: Theu Boermans )
- Art by Yasmina Reza
- The Ignorant and the Insane by Thomas Bernhard (Director: Jan Bosse )
- 1980: One luck and the other (TV movie)
- 1983: Gentlemen's Years (TV movie)
- 1986: Three Sisters (TV movie)
- 1986: Lenz or freedom (TV series)
- 1987: the doll
- 1988: Fear and Love (Paura e amore)
- 1989: Succubus - the devil in the body
- 1989: The Rue de Lourcine Affair (TV movie)
- 1990: The Misappropriated Heaven (TV Movie)
- 1990: the eighth day
- 1990: Derrick (TV series, episode 184)
- 1991: The Lonely Path (TV movie)
- 1992: the mountain
- 1992: crutch
- 1994: low up
- 1994: No Place for Idiots (TV Movie)
- 1995: Deadly Money (TV movie)
- 1995: The Pit (TV movie)
- 1996: The Blind Man (TV Movie)
- 1996: Stockinger (TV series, one episode)
- 1997: Art (TV movie)
- 1997: Agent Fever (TV movie)
- 1997: Journey into the Dark (TV Movie)
- 1998: Babyhandel Berlin - Beyond all scruples (Assignment Berlin)
- 1998: love your neighbor
- 1998: Speer (TV movie)
- 1998: HeliCops - deployment over Berlin (TV series)
- 1999: Beresina or The Last Days of Switzerland
- 2000: Trust is everything (TV movie)
- 2000: Do you love me (TV movie)
- 2001: Flowers for Polt (TV movie)
- 2002: Born (Directors: Lukas Stepanik and Robert Schindel )
- 2003: All the happiness on earth (TV movie)
- 2003: Hierankl
- 2004: Everyman (TV movie)
- 2004: Daniel Käfer - Frau Hürsch's villas (TV movie)
- 2005: Once as I want (TV movie)
- 2006: Tatort - The Swedish Friend (TV series)
- 2007: Deployment in Hamburg - the last test
- 2007: A Fateful Affair (TV Movie)
- 2008: Daniel Käfer - The Shadow Clock (TV movie)
- 2008: Bella Block: False Love (TV series)
- 2008: God Protects Lovers (TV Movie)
- 2008: Mozart in China
- 2009: Anna and the Prince (TV movie)
- 2010: Death in Istanbul (TV movie)
- 2011: The Old One (TV series, one episode)
- 2011: Years of Love (TV movie)
- 2012: Ludwig II.
- 2012: Bella Block: Unter den Linden
- 2013: ruby red
- 2013: The Cactus (TV Movie)
- 2013: Bella Block : Dog Children
- 2013: Bella Block: Accused (TV series)
- 2014: Clara Immerwahr
- 2014: sapphire blue
- 2014: Fateful proximity
- 2016: Toni Erdmann
- 2016: Lou Andreas-Salomé
- 2016: keep
- 2016: The world of the Wunderlichs
- 2016: The Sacher
- 2016: emerald green
- 2017: Only God can judge me
- 2018: Dolmetscher (The Interpreter)
- 2018: Kursk
- 2019: Crescendo
Radio plays and audio books
- 1997: Ingrid Noll : The rooster is dead - Director: Ulrike Brinkmann (detective radio play - DLR Berlin)
- 1998: Michael Kölmeier : My private happiness - Director: Robert Matejka (radio play - NDR / DLR Berlin / ORF)
- 2002: Elias Canetti : The Glare (2 parts); Director: Robert Matejka (DLR Berlin / BR / ORF)
- 2004: Nikos Kazantzakis : Alexis Sorbas . Langen-Müller, Munich, ISBN 978-3-7844-4031-6 .
- 2008: Franz Kafka : The Lost One . Universal Music Group, Berlin, ISBN 978-3-8291-2081-4 .
- 2008: Thomas Bernhard , Siegfried Unseld : Correspondence . The Hörverlag, Munich, ISBN 978-3-86717-275-2 .
- 2008: Adalbert Stifter : The Forest Walker . Hoffmann and Campe, Hamburg, ISBN 978-3-455-30530-2 .
- 2009: Joseph Roth : Triumph of Beauty . Master tales. Diogenes, Zurich 2009, ISBN 978-3-257-80906-0 . (also includes: Barbara , April , Strawberries , Station Chief Fallmerayer , The Bust of the Emperor ).
- 2009: Hans-Georg Behr : Almost a nomad . Osterwold Audio, Hamburg, ISBN 978-3-86952-005-6 .
- 2015: Franz Kafka: The Metamorphosis . The Audio-Verlag, Berlin, ISBN 978-3-86231-564-2 .
- 2017: Heimito von Doderer : The Strudlhofstiege . The audio publishing house, Berlin, ISBN 978-3-7424-0229-5 .
- 1989: German Critics' Prize
- 1998: Member of the German Academy of Performing Arts
- 1999: Austrian Cross of Honor for Science and Art
- 2001: Gold Medal of Honor of the State of Styria
- 2003: Great Golden Decoration of the State of Styria
- 2003: ORF radio play award
- 2004: Member of the Academy of the Arts
- 2004: Nestroy nomination for best actor
- 2006: Awarded the title of professor by the Austrian Federal President
- 2006: Gold Medal of Merit of the State of Vienna
- 2008: German audio book award as best interpreter for Der Meister des Jüngsten Tag by Leo Perutz
- 2009: Nestroy nomination as best actor for master builder Solneß at the Schauspielhaus Graz
- 2010: German audio book award in the best information category for his reading (together with Gert Voss ) Thomas Bernhard / Siegfried Unseld : Briefwechsel (der Hörverlag, Munich)
- 2012: Grimme Prize for years of love
- 2016: international actors award.cologne at the Film Festival Cologne
- 2016: Festival du Nouveau Cinema (FNC) in Montreal - best actor
- 2016: European Film Award for Toni Erdmann (Best Actor)
- 2017: Ernst Lubitsch Prize for Toni Erdmann
- 2017: Austrian Film Award in the Best Male Actor category
- 2017: Platinum Romy for life's work
- 2017: German Film Award in the Best Male Leading Role category for Toni Erdmann
- 2017: Austrian of the year in the cultural heritage category
- 2018: German Acting Award - Honorary Award "Lifetime Achievement"
- 2018: Nestroy Theater Prize - Award in the Best Actor category for his portrayal of Afzal in The Who and the What at the Akademietheater
- 2019: Honorary member of the Burgtheater
- Peter Simonischek: I am available. In conversation with Andreas Müry. Amalthea Verlag, Vienna 2006, ISBN 3-85002-567-5 ; Contains audiobook CD with reading by Arthur Schnitzler: The Dead Silence and The Wise Woman
- Peter Simonischek in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Dyslexia lecture set to music by Peter Simonischek
- Literature by and about Peter Simonischek in the catalog of the German National Library
- "A gentleman from Styria" - Vienna: Peter Simonischek honorary member of the castle , nachtkritik.de May 27, 2019, accessed May 28, 2019
- Der Spiegel, Culture and Society
- "Big Gold" for Peter Simonischek. Press release of the State of Styria from November 11, 2003.
- orf.at - Montreal: "Toni Erdmann" and Simonischek awarded . Article dated October 17, 2016, accessed October 17, 2016.
- Courier: Platin-ROMY 2017 to Peter Simonischek . Article dated April 5, 2017, accessed April 5, 2017.
- diepresse.com: Austria'17-Gala: Top performers in front of the curtain . Article dated October 24, 2017, accessed October 24, 2017.
- German Acting Award: "He can do everything": Simonischek is honored for life's work . Article dated August 17, 2018, accessed August 17, 2018.
- orf.at: Burgtheater honorary membership for Peter Simonischek . Article dated May 27, 2019, accessed May 27, 2019.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Simonischek, Peter Maria|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian actor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 6, 1946|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Graz|