Marjana Lipovšek, daughter of the composer Marijan Lipovšek (1910–1995), who was rector of the Ljubljana Music Academy from 1968 to 1970 (Akademija za glasbo v Ljubljani), studied music education and singing there. After graduating in 1970 she studied opera and concert singing at the University of Music and Performing Arts in Graz until 1977, and from 1978 at the opera studio in Vienna. A scholarship from the Walter Kaminski Foundation enabled her to take part in a voice training course with Charlotte Kaminsky (1904–1989) and Erik Werba in 1980 .
She began her career as an opera singer at the Vienna State Opera in 1979, and from 1981 she was also engaged at the Hamburg State Opera . In addition, she subsequently appeared at many large opera houses, including in Munich , Berlin , Stuttgart , Frankfurt / M. , Barcelona, Milan , London , Chicago, New York , San Francisco .
During her performances she works with well-known conductors such as Claudio Abbado , Colin Davis , Michael Gielen , Bernard Haitink , Nikolaus Harnoncourt , Lorin Maazel , Zubin Mehta , Seiji Ozawa , Helmuth Rilling , Wolfgang Sawallisch , Georg Solti and Horst Stein .
Marjana Lipovsek is married to the opera singer Alfred Burgstaller. Today she lives in Vienna and Salzburg and also works as a singing teacher.
Source for expanding the role directory:
- JS Bach : St. John Passion , St. Matthew Passion , Christmas Oratorio and Mass in B minor
- Mahler : The Song of the Earth
- Martin : The way of love and death of the cornet Christoph Rilke
- Schönberg : Gurre songs .
- Stravinsky : Oedipus Rex
In her recitals she mainly devoted herself to works by Johannes Brahms , Gustav Mahler , Joseph Marx , Modest Mussorgski , Franz Schreker , Franz Schubert , Robert Schumann , Hugo Wolf and Slovenian composers, including her father's compositions. She is also considered an excellent interpreter of the Wesendonck songs by Richard Wagner .
- Prešeren Prize 1988
- Bavarian chamber singer 1993
- Silver Medal of Freedom of the Republic of Slovenia 1994
- Chamber singer at the Vienna State Opera in 1996
- Gold medal Gustav Mahler 1996
- Gold Medal for Science and Art of the Republic of Austria 2001
- Honorary member of the Slovenian Philharmonic 2002
- Honorary Citizen of Ljubljana in 2004
- Gold Medal for Services to the State of Vienna 2015
The house Hofmannsthal in Vienna presented on the occasion of the 70th birthday of the singer, a comprehensive exhibition on the career of the singer. Furthermore, some Slovenian media published appreciations on the occasion of the milestone birthday.
- François-Marie Banier, Alex Ross: Portfolio - The Salzburg Fix . In: The New Yorker. New York, May 25, 1998. pp. 96-101. Photo on p. 97: The mezzo Marjana Lipovšek, after performing "Boris Godunov."
- Rudolf Flotzinger (Ed.): Oesterreichisches Musiklexikon . Volume 3. Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Vienna 2004, ISBN 3-7001-3045-7 , pp. 1293f.
- Works by and about Marjana Lipovšek in the catalog of the German National Library
- Biography and pictures on www.bach-cantatas.com (English)
- Marjana Lipovšek in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Archives of the Vienna State Opera : SEARCH RESULTS Performances with Marjana Lipovšek , accessed on December 5, 2016.
- Chris Tina Tengel : Hear voices: song, concert, opera - the universal contralto Marjana Lipovsek (for her 70th birthday) , December 1, 2016, 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., accessed on December 5, 2016.
- wien.at : EXHIBITION ON THE 70TH BIRTHDAY OF KS MARJANA LIPOVSEK , including a reference to the duration of the exhibition (October 21 to December 16, 2016), accessed on December 5, 2016.
- Reporter (Ljubljana): Marjana Lipovšek dopolnila 70 let , December 3, 2016, accessed December 5, 2016 (Slovenian)
- Sta (Ljubljana): Koncertna in operna pevka Marjana Lipovšek dopolnila 70 let , December 3, 2016, accessed on December 5, 2016 (Slovenian)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Slovenian concert and opera singer (mezzo-soprano) and actress|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 3, 1946|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Ljubljana|