Pays de la Loire
|Pays de la Loire|
|President of the Regional Council||Bruno Retailleau ( LR )|
|population||3,757,600 (January 1, 2017)|
|Population density||116.8 inhabitants per km²|
Relief map of the Pays de la Loire region
The Pays de la Loire [ peidlaˈlwaːʀ ] (German " Land of the Loire") are a region in western France located at the mouth of the Loire . It consists of the departments of Loire-Atlantique , Maine-et-Loire , Mayenne , Sarthe and Vendée . The region has an area of 32,082 km² and a population of 3,757,600 (as of January 1, 2017). The capital of the region is Nantes , other important cities are Angers and Le Mans .
coat of arms
Description: The coat of arms is split and shows six rows of scattered golden lilies in the front in blue, surrounded by a red border with a silver lion in the upper corner and in the back in silver in the same type of ermine in black. The blue board is inside in a wave cut . Above everything is the red sign of the Vendée uprising .
The region consists of the historic landscapes of Maine , Anjou , Le Perche and Poitou as well as part of the former province of Brittany . It was created in 1955 with the establishment of the regions in France. In 1972 the region received the status of an établissement public under the direction of a regional prefect. The decentralization laws of 1982 gave the regions the status of collectivités territoriales ( territorial authorities ), which until then had only been enjoyed by the municipalities and the départements . In 1986 the regional councils were directly elected for the first time. Since then, the region's powers vis-à-vis the central government in Paris have been gradually expanded.
The most populous cities in the Pays de la Loire are:
|Le Mans||142,946 (2017)||Sarthe|
|La Roche-sur-Yon||54,372 (2017)||Vendée|
The Pays de la Loire region is divided into five departments :
|OZ||= Ordinal number of the department||Arr.||= Number of arrondissements||According to||= Number of municipalities|
|W.||= Coat of arms of the department||Kant.||= Number of cantons|
|ISO||= ISO-3166-2 code||GV||= Number of municipal associations
January 1, 2017
(inh / km²)
Result of the election of the regional council on December 13, 2015:
- List Bruno Retailleau (Union de la Droite from LR , UDI and MoDem ): 42.70% = 620,224 votes, 54 seats
- List Christophe Clergeau (Union de la Gauche from PS , PRG , EELV and FG ): 37.56% = 545,574 votes, 26 seats
- List Pascal Gannat ( FN ): 19.74% = 286,706 votes, 13 seats
The gardens and parks in the region are part of the European Garden Heritage Network .
- Pays de la Loire region (French)
- Prefecture of the Pays de la Loire region (French)
- Pays de la Loire: an area with a thousand and one faces France's official website (english)
- Loire cycle path (German)
- Résultats régionales 2015 on linternaute.com, accessed on January 11, 2016
- Eurostat press release 23/2009: Regional GDP per inhabitant in the EU27 (PDF; 360 kB)