|legal form||Public Company (Canada)|
|founding||1855 (as Bank of Toronto )|
|Seat||Toronto ( Canada )|
|management||W. Edmund Clark , President & CEO|
|Number of employees||75,631 (2011)|
|sales||27.262 billion CAD (2013)|
Toronto-Dominion Bank ( TD ) is a Canadian company headquartered in Toronto . The company is listed in the S & P / TSX 60 share index. The company offers financial services to its customers. Toronto-Dominion Bank is the second largest credit institution in Canada. The Bank of Toronto was founded in 1855 and Dominion Bank was created in 1871 . In 1955, these two banks merged to form the Toronto-Dominion Bank . It is based in the Toronto Dominion Center of the same name in the Financial District of Toronto.
Toronto-Dominion Bank has been on the list of global systemically important banks by the Financial Stability Board since 2019 . It is therefore subject to special monitoring and stricter requirements for the endowment with equity .
The bank was founded in 1855 by a group of entrepreneurs in western Canada (now the province of Ontario). The aim was to found an institution that offers specific financial services for entrepreneurs. In 1854 the first petition was presented to the then provincial government. Thus the newly founded Millers, Merchants and Farmers Bank of Canada West took its first steps. On March 18, 1855, the application for a full banking license was deposited in Toronto with a share capital of 500,000 British pounds. In July 1856, the Bank of Toronto opened its first branch, with three employees at 78 Church Street . The bank began building a network of branches in the province of Ontario. A branch in Montreal followed in 1860.
The Bank of Toronto temporarily had its administration in the building at 205 Yonge Street .
On February 1, 2000, TD took over and incorporated Bank Canada Trust from British American Tobacco . As a result, the private and business customer business is operated under the TD Canada Trust brand.
TD Bank Financial Group divisions are divided into:
- TD Ameritrade - Direct Banking and Private Banking
- TD Asset Management - Global Asset Management
- TD Bank, NA - Commerce Bank, TD Banknorth and TD Bank USA merged on June 1, 2008
- TD Canada Trust - private and business customer banking
- TD Commercial Banking - global business customer banking
- TD Insurance - insurance
- TD Securities - global corporate investment banking
- TD Securities is the bank's investment banking division. It offers various investment products for public and private investors.
Traded fixed-income and equity products, currencies , commodities and derivatives in the financial markets worldwide. TD Securities has offices in 18 cities around the world and 3,000 employees. TD Securities is a leading North American investment broker with a strong presence in Europe and operations in Asia .
- TD Waterhouse - Investment and Private Banking
- Symcor joint venture for invoicing and accounting. One third each managed by the Royal Bank of Canada , Bank of Montreal and Toronto-Dominion Bank.
The bank is a member of the Canadian Bankers Association (CBA) and the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC) , a federal agency that secures the money transactions of all officially registered banks in Canada. Further memberships are:
- NYCE ATM network
- Plus Network for Visa credit cards
- VISA International
- Cipf (Canadian Deposit Insurance Fund)
- New Jersey
- New Hampshire
- new York
- North Carolina
- Rhode Island
- South carolina
- Washington, DC
- W. Edmund Clark, Colleen M. Johnston: FINANCIAL RESULTS. (pdf) Consolidated Financial Statements. Toronto-Dominion Bank, December 4, 2013, accessed May 8, 2014 .
- 2019 list of global systemically important banks (G-SIBs). (PDF; 176 kB) Secretariat to the Financial Stability Board Bank for International Settlements, November 20, 2019, accessed on December 18, 2019 .