|Regional center||Iloilo City|
|- population density||340 per km²|
Cebuano , Tagalog , English ,
Hiligaynon , Kinaray-a , Aklanon
The Western Visayas are an administrative region in the center of the Philippines , they are known as Region VI . Its administrative center is Iloilo City , in the metropolitan area of Metro Iloilo.
The Western Visayas comprise the entire islands of Panay and Guimaras . The administrative region covers a land area of 12,352.5 km², which includes many smaller islands such as Sicogon , Boracay , Pan de Azucar and the Gigantes Islands . The region just has no land border. In the north the region is bounded by the Sibuyan Sea , in the east by the Visayas Sea and the Guimaras Strait , in the west by the Sulu Sea . The main straits of the sea in the administrative region are the Guimaras Strait and the Jintotolo Canal .
Important river systems are the Panay and the Jalaur Rivers , these have their source in the Central Panay Mountains . The Aklan River forms the Kalibo Wetlands , it is the largest river delta in the region.
Until May 2015, the northern and western parts of Negros Island were also part of the Western Visayas region.
Archipelagos in the Western Visayas
Islands in the Western Visayas
- Batbatan Island
- Binuluangan Island
- Calagnaan Island
- Maniguin Island
- Mararison Island
- Pan de Azucar
The region is made up of the following five provinces :
- Aklan , capital: Kalibo
- Capiz , capital: Roxas City
- Antique , capital: San Jose de Buenavista
- Iloilo , capital: Iloilo City
- Guimaras , capital: Jordan
The population of the Western Visayas is made up of a large number of smaller peoples. The main languages are Cebuano and English , other regional languages are Hiligaynon , Kinaray-a , Aklanon and Tagalog . The greatest population density is reached in Iloilo City and Roxas City .
National parks and nature reserves
- Bulabog Putian National Park
- Northwest Panay Peninsula Natural Park
- Taklong Island National Marine Reserve
- The Church of Santo Tomas de Villanueva and three other churches, under the title Baroque Churches in the Philippines , are on the UNESCO World Heritage List .
Major educational institutions
- Aklan State University
- West Visayas State University
- Central Philippine University
- University of Antique