Agostino Cacciavillan studied at various universities in Rome , obtained a licentiate in social sciences and a doctorate in law and canon law . In 1949 he received the sacrament of ordination and worked in the Roman pastoral care. From 1957 to 1960 he graduated from the Pontifical Diplomatic Academy .
After a few months in the Vatican State Secretariat , he became Secretary of the Apostolic Nunciature in the Philippines . On June 21, 1963, Pope Paul VI awarded him . the honorary title of Surplus Secret Chamberlain of His Holiness ( Monsignor ). From 1964 to 1968 Cacciavillan was Nunciature Secretary in Spain and briefly also in Portugal . From 1969 to 1974 he worked again in the State Secretariat of the Vatican. On August 26, 1973 Paul VI awarded him. the title of Honorary Prelate to His Holiness .
Paul VI appointed him on January 17, 1976. as Titular Archbishop of Amiternum and as Apostolic Pro-Nuncio in Kenya and Apostolic Delegate for the Seychelles . He was ordained bishop by Cardinal Secretary of State Jean-Marie Villot on February 21 of the same year; Co- consecrators were Duraisamy Simon Lourdusamy , Archbishop emeritus of Bangalore , and Carlo Fanton , Auxiliary Bishop in the Diocese of Vicenza . Other stations in his diplomatic career were India and Nepal from 1981 to 1990 . From 1990 he headed the Apostolic Nunciature in the USA and took on the role of permanent observer at the Organization of American States. He also represented the Holy See at the World Association of Jurists.
On November 5, 1998, Pope John Paul II appointed him President of the Property Administration of the Apostolic See and accepted him on February 21, 2001 as a cardinal deacon with the titular diaconia Santi Angeli Custodi a Città Giardino in the College of Cardinals . He resigned from his duties in the Roman Curia in October 2002 for reasons of age.
From March 1, 2008 to February 21, 2011 he held the office of Cardinal Protodiac . On February 21, 2011 he was elevated to cardinal priest while retaining his title diaconia , which had been declared pro hac vice to the title church .
- Congregation for the Oriental Churches (confirmed 2001)
- Congregation for the Causes of Saints (since 2002)
- Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples (approved 2001)
- Congregation for Bishops (confirmed 2001)
- Supreme Court of the Apostolic Signature (since 2002)
- Pontifical Council for the Legal Texts (approved 2001)
- Pontifical Commission for the State of the Vatican City (confirmed 2001)
- Cardinal Jean-Marie Villot
- Cardinal Maurice Feltin
- Cardinal Charles-Henri-Joseph Binet
- Cardinal Louis-Henri-Joseph Luçon
- Bishop Charles-Émile Freppel
- Cardinal François-Auguste-Ferdinand Donnet
- Bishop Charles-Auguste-Marie-Joseph de Forbin-Janson
- Cardinal Gustav Maximilian von Croÿ
- Archbishop Jean-Charles de Coucy
- Cardinal Antonio Dugnani
- Cardinal Carlo Rezzonico
- Cardinal Giovanni Francesco Albani
- Clement XIII.
- Benedict XIV.
- Benedict XIII.
- Cardinal Paluzzo Paluzzi Altieri degli Albertoni
- Cardinal Ulderico Carpegna
- Cardinal Luigi Caetani
- Cardinal Ludovico Ludovisi
- Archbishop Galeazzo Sanvitale
- Cardinal Girolamo Bernerio , OP
- Cardinal Giulio Antonio Santorio
- Cardinal Scipione Rebiba
- Cacciavillan, Agostino. In: Salvador Miranda : The Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church. ( Florida International University website), accessed October 17, 2016.
- Entry on Agostino Cacciavillan on catholic-hierarchy.org ; accessed on October 17, 2016.
- Annuario Pontificio per l'anno 1964 , Città del Vaticano 1964, p. 1240.
- Annuario Pontificio per l'anno 1974 , Città del Vaticano 1974, p. 1633.
- Southeastern Lieutenancy of the United States of America: History (1986-1996). Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulcher of Jerusalem, accessed January 5, 2016 .
- Rinuncia del Presidente dell'Amministrazione del Patrimonio della Sede Apostolica e Nomina del Successore. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office , October 1, 2002, accessed January 5, 2016 (Italian).
- Nomina di Cardinali Membri delle Congregazioni Romane. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office, May 15, 2001, accessed January 5, 2016 (Italian).
- Nomina di Membri della Congregazione delle Cause dei Santi. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office, May 2, 2002, accessed January 5, 2016 (Italian).
- Nomina di Membri del Supremo Tribunale della Segnatura Apostolica. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office, June 6, 2002, accessed January 5, 2016 (Italian).
- Nomina di Cardinali Membri dei Dicasteri della Curia Romana. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office, May 18, 2001, accessed January 5, 2016 (Italian).
- Nomine nello Stato della Città del Vaticano. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office, February 22, 2001, accessed January 5, 2016 (Italian).
Apostolic Pro-Nuncio in Kenya
Apostolic Pro-Nuncio in India
|Nunciature newly established||
Apostolic Pro-Nuncio in Nepal
Apostolic Pro-Nuncio in the United States of America
|Gabriel Montalvo Higuera|
|Lorenzo Cardinal Antonetti||
Prefect of the property administration of the Apostolic See
|Attilio Cardinal Nicora|
|Darío Cardinal Castrillón Hoyos||
|Jean-Louis Cardinal Tauran|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Cacciavillan, Cardinal Agostino (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Italian Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 14, 1926|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Novale di Valdagno , Vicenza Province , Italy|