Berndorf near Salzburg
Berndorf near Salzburg
|coat of arms||Austria map|
|Political District :||Salzburg area|
|License plate :||SL|
|Residents :||1,717 (January 1, 2020)|
|Population density :||119 inhabitants per km²|
|Postal code :||5165|
|Area code :||06217|
|Community code :||5 03 04|
|Address of the
5165 Berndorf near Salzburg
|Mayor :||Johann Stemeseder ( ÖVP )|
Municipal Council : (2019)
|Location of Berndorf bei Salzburg in the Salzburg-Umgebung district|
|Source: Municipal data from Statistics Austria|
Berndorf bei Salzburg is a municipality in the Salzburger Land in the Salzburg-Umgebung district in Austria with 1717 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2020) and is located on the foothills of the Haunsberg .
The municipality is located in the northeast of the Salzburg-Umgebung district ( Flachgau , also Salzburg Land ) or in the Salzburg Lake District in the state of Salzburg at the foot of the Haunsberg on the sunny side. The Grabensee lies entirely in the municipality of Berndorf. Cadastral communities are: Berndorf near Salzburg, Großenegg. Until the end of May 1923 the community belonged to the judicial district Mattsee , since June 1, 1923 it has been part of the judicial district Oberndorf .
The municipality includes the following two localities (population in brackets as of January 1, 2020):
- Berndorf near Salzburg (1325) including Aigen, Apfertal, Breitbrunn, Feichten, Gransdorf, Kreised, Krispelstätt, Mangalberg, Mittermühl, Stemesed and Wendlberg
- Großenegg (392) including Aigen, Geiersberg, Grub, Hebat, Höpfling, Karellen, Maierhof, Mangerberg, Oberkarellen, Reit, Schallmoos, Schwand, Schwandl, Spatzenegg, Strauchmühle and Wilhelmsed
The community consists of the cadastral communities Berndorf and Großenegg.
The competent courts are the Oberndorf District Court (since January 1, 2003; before that BG Salzburg and until 1923 BG Mattsee) and the Salzburg Regional Court.
In 767 Lauterbach was mentioned in a document as the oldest church in the parish area, as was Fiuhte (Feichen) and Wenilo (Wendlberg).
coat of arms
The coat of arms of the municipality is: "In silver, a red-armored black bear, holding a small shield with the front paws, which is divided diagonally by black and silver."
The “shield, which is divided diagonally to the right” should be that of the Lords of Truna (= Traun). The Haunsbergers and Berndorfer owned property in Upper Austria. The Haunsbergers, for example, ruled the trade route to Bohemia with the Mühlviertel Castle Wildberg in the Haselgraben and with the Castle Linz an important, up-and-coming trading center on the Danube - later the provincial capital of the state above the Enns (Upper Austria). The Haunsberg followers, the Berndorfer based on Haunsberg in Salzburg, founded a Berndorf west of Wildberg Castle in Haselgraben, near Eidenberg and Lobenstein Castle. The sudden fall of the Haunsberg family is well known.
The community council has a total of 17 members.
- With the municipal council and mayoral elections in Salzburg in 2004, the municipal council had the following distribution: 10 ÖVP, 5 SPÖ, and 2 FPÖ.
- With the municipal council and mayoral elections in Salzburg in 2009 , the municipal council had the following distribution: 10 ÖVP, 5 SPÖ, and 2 FPÖ.
- With the municipal council and mayoral elections in Salzburg in 2014 , the municipal council had the following distribution: 10 ÖVP, 5 SPÖ, and 2 FPÖ.
- With the municipal council and mayoral elections in Salzburg in 2019 , the municipal council has the following distribution: 10 ÖVP and 7 SPÖ.
- 1959–1964 Peter Eidenhammer, pot builder in Mangelberg (ÖVP)
- 1964–1985 Johann Pfeil
- 1985–1989 Josef Schwaiger (ÖVP)
- 1989–1999 Franz Jessner (SPÖ)
- 1999–2019 Josef Guggenberger (ÖVP)
- since 2019 Johann Stemeseder (ÖVP)
Culture and sights
- Catholic parish church in Berndorf near Salzburg Assumption of Mary
- Franz Xaver Gruber (1787–1863), composer of the Christmas carol “Silent Night”, worked as a teacher, sacristan and organist in Berndorf from 1829 to 1835. In October 2018, a memorial created by the Kuchler sculptor Peter Schwaighofer in honor of Franz Xaver Gruber was unveiled in Berndorf.
- Community website
- 50304 - Berndorf near Salzburg. Community data, Statistics Austria .
- Berndorf near Salzburg . In: Salzburger Nachrichten : Salzburgwiki .
- Statistics Austria: Population on January 1st, 2020 by locality (area status on January 1st, 2020) , ( CSV )
- Franz Sekker, 1925, Siebmachers Salzburg nobility, 1898, Siegel index in Upper Austria. Landesarchiv, FX Wöber, 1885, GP Michalek, 2001.
- Mayor of the municipality of Berndorf near Salzburg - Salzburgwiki. Retrieved April 22, 2020 .
- Johann Pfeil . In: Salzburger Nachrichten : Salzburgwiki .
- Josef Schwaiger (1934) . In: Salzburger Nachrichten : Salzburgwiki .
- Franz Jessner . In: Salzburger Nachrichten : Salzburgwiki .
- Josef Guggenberger (Mayor) . In: Salzburger Nachrichten : Salzburgwiki .
- Monument in honor of Franz Xaver Gruber unveiled: Berndorf community honors composers of the Silent Night song . Salzburg state correspondence of October 5, 2018, accessed on October 6, 2018.