Seekirchen am Wallersee

from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Seekirchen am Wallersee
coat of arms Austria map
Seekirchen am Wallersee coat of arms
Seekirchen am Wallersee (Austria)
Seekirchen am Wallersee
Basic data
Country: Austria
State : Salzburg
Political District : Salzburg area
License plate : SL
Surface: 50.3 km²
Coordinates : 47 ° 54 '  N , 13 ° 8'  E Coordinates: 47 ° 54 '0 "  N , 13 ° 8' 0"  E
Height : 512  m above sea level A.
Residents : 10,951 (January 1, 2020)
Population density : 218 inhabitants per km²
Postal code : 5201
Area code : 06212
Community code : 5 03 39
Address of the
municipal administration:
Stiftsgasse 1
5201 Seekirchen am Wallersee
mayor Konrad Pieringer ( ÖVP )
Municipal Council : (2019)
10 6th 4th 
A total of 25 seats
Location of Seekirchen am Wallersee in the Salzburg-Umgebung district
Anif Anthering Bergheim Berndorf bei Salzburg Bürmoos Dorfbeuern Ebenau Elixhausen Elsbethen Eugendorf Faistenau Fuschl am See Göming Großgmain Hallwang Henndorf am Wallersee Hintersee Hof bei Salzburg Köstendorf Lamprechtshausen Mattsee Neumarkt am Wallersee Nußdorf am Haunsberg Oberndorf bei Salzburg Obertrum am See Plainfeld Sankt Georgen bei Salzburg Sankt Gilgen Schleedorf Seeham Seekirchen am Wallersee Straßwalchen Strobl Thalgau Wals-Siezenheim Grödig Koppl Salzburg SalzburgLocation of the municipality of Seekirchen am Wallersee in the St. Johann im Pongau district (clickable map)
About this picture
Template: Infobox municipality in Austria / maintenance / site plan image map
Source: Municipal data from Statistics Austria


Seekirchen is a town with 10,951 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2020) in Flachgau in the state of Salzburg in Austria . It is located directly on the Wallersee , across from Neumarkt am Wallersee . Seekirchen has been documented for over 1300 years, but has only recently been granted city rights.


Seekirchen am Wallersee is part of the judicial district of Neumarkt near Salzburg . Neighboring communities are Anthering , Elixhausen , Eugendorf , Hallwang , Henndorf am Wallersee , Köstendorf , Mattsee , Obertrum am See and Schleedorf .

Community structure

Locations (residents as of January 1, 2020):

  • Bayerham (155) including Wallersee-Zell
  • Brunn (1032) including Am Pfaffenbühel, Eck, Grub, Haging, Köllersberg and Weinberg
  • Fischtaging (239) including Frauentaging, Haberg, Schlacht, Weiland and weekend settlement Fischtaging
  • Halberstätten (202) including Bruckermühle, Prossing and Schmiedberg
  • Huttich (242) including Gezing, Oberkriechham, Unterkriechham and Wirthenstätten
  • Kothgumprechting (142) including fiefdom, Modhalm and Roid
  • Kraiham (132) including crimping places
  • Mayerlehen (303) including Grünberg, Mitterstatt, Oberhof, Ronach and Wendling
  • Mödlham (457) including Obernbichl, Untermödlham and Wolfzagl
  • Reed (202)
  • Schmieding (105) including Krainbach and Obermödlham
  • Blacksmith Cellar (138)
  • Schöngumprechting (275) including Bruderstatt, Kothhäuslsiedlung and Kreuzeck
  • Seekirchen am Wallersee (3664)
  • Seewalchen (1071) including Oberleiten
  • Waldprechting (1565) including Gröm and SOS Children's Villages
  • Wies (163) including fish farmers, marshals, ruckers and Wies-scattering houses
  • Wimm (239) including Am Schreiberg, Hipping and Kühmosen
  • Wimmsiedlung (503)
  • Zaisberg (122) including Reith and Zaisberg-Streue houses

The community consists of the cadastral communities Marschalln, Mödlham, Seekirchen Land, Seekirchen Markt, Seewalchen and Waldprechting.


People have been living in the municipality of Seekirchen for at least 5000 years ( Neolithic ). Seekirchen was first mentioned in a document by St. Rupert (Bishop of Worms) in 696 . At the hermit house he founded there was also a church dedicated to St. Petrus church, first church and marriage church called, from which allegedly the place name Seekirchen emerged through corruption . Seekirchen is the longest continuously inhabited place in Austria. In 1424 the elevation to the market town took place . On July 1, 1974, the independent communities of Seekirchen Markt and Seekirchen Land were merged to form the community of Seekirchen am Wallersee. Seekirchen was granted town charter on St. Rupert's Day (September 24th) in 2000.

coat of arms

Coat of arms at seekirchen.png

Description of the coat of arms : In a split shield on the right in red a silver bar, in which two forearms growing out of the field edges, wrapped in a golden stole, hold hands together. The right arm dressed in brown (man), the left arm naked (woman). On the left, in blue over a naturally colored wave shield base on a silver floor, a silver church with red roofs. Outside, above the upper edge of the shield, next to each other the black years 1424 and 1974.

Population development



The community council has a total of 25 members.

  • 1959–1974–1979 Anton Moser
  • 1979–1987 Johann Haberl (ÖVP)
  • 1987–2009 Johann Spatzenegger (ÖVP)
  • 2009–2019 Monika Schwaiger (ÖVP)
  • since 2019 Konrad Pieringer (ÖVP)


Small and medium-sized enterprises shape the economic structure of Seekirchen. Of the approximately 300 companies, more than 90 percent employ fewer than 5 people.

The town center of Seekirchen was able to maintain its trading structure with predominantly small businesses despite the immigration of chain stores.

Over 65 small and medium-sized businesses from trade, craft, gastronomy and service are organized in the Seekirchen City Marketing. The association, financed by the municipality of Seekirchen, the tourism association and traders, has existed since 2004. The main purpose is to revitalize and make the city center more attractive and to organize joint advertising and PR activities. Until 2004, this task was taken over by the advertising association “Kauf in”.

Of the approx. 5000 hectares of the community area, around 4000 hectares are used for agriculture and forestry . 16% of this area (approx. 640 ha) is used for forestry. The remaining 84% are mainly available for grassland use. Of the around 170 cattle-keeping farms, 4,800 dairy cows and around 2,400 young cattle are kept.

Most of the milk produced is processed into Emmental cheese. About 30% of the farms are run as full-time businesses, the remaining 70% as additional and sideline businesses. The ownership structure of the approximately 240 agricultural landowners has hardly changed in the last 70 years.

Culture and sights

Seekirchen Collegiate Church
See also:  List of listed objects in Seekirchen am Wallersee


  • Train: Seekirchen is located directly on the Westbahn and has a train station where both express trains and the S2 line of the Salzburg S-Bahn stop, thereby ensuring a quick connection to the state capital Salzburg . There is a second train station in Zell / Wallersee.
  • Bus: There is also a connection to the Trumer Seenland with the Postbus line 131 . A free city bus has been available since December 2017.



Well known is the football club SV Seekirchen 1945 , which was founded in 1945 and currently plays in the Regionalliga West , the third highest level in Austrian football, and with the brothers Ibertsberger, Thomas Winklhofer and Stefan Lainer even produced four Austrian national football players.

ASKÖ SC Seekirchen 1980 is a fistball club founded in 1980 by Gerhard Strasser, Peter Braunwieser and Manfred Schmidhuber and currently plays in the 2nd Bundesliga. In the youth field, ASKÖ Seekirchen is one of the most successful clubs in Austria with several Austrian championship titles. Lukas Pichelstorfer achieved silver with the U18 national team at the world championships, Andrea Mödlhamer, Veronika Pfund and Lukas Pichelstorfer achieved bronze at the U18 European championships.


Sons and Daughters of the Church:

People related to the municipality:

Web links

Commons : Seekirchen am Wallersee  - Collection of images, videos and audio files

Individual evidence

  1. Statistics Austria: Population on January 1st, 2020 by locality (area status on January 1st, 2020) , ( CSV )
  2. Werner Rainer: Marcus Sitticus . The government of the Prince Archbishop according to the chronicle of Johannes Stainhauser, at the same time: Communications of the Society for Salzburg Regional Studies, 29th supplementary volume, Salzburg 2012, ISBN 978-3-200-02639-1 . P. 165.
  7. ^ Anton Moser . In: Salzburger Nachrichten : Salzburgwiki .
  8. Johann Haberl . In: Salzburger Nachrichten : Salzburgwiki .
  9. Johann Spatzenegger . In: Salzburger Nachrichten : Salzburgwiki .
  10. Monika Schwaiger . In: Salzburger Nachrichten : Salzburgwiki .
  12. a b c d e f Dehio Salzburg 1986 , Seekirchen am Wallersee, pages 397 to 404