George Emil Palade
George Emil Palade ( November 19, 1912 in Iași , Romania ; † October 7, 2008 in Del Mar , California ) was a Romanian -American physician and cell biologist . He won the 1974 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine and is considered the founder of modern cell biology.; born
Palade was born the son of a philosophy professor and a teacher in Iași. After training in his hometown and in Buzau , he began in 1930 to study medicine at the University of Bucharest , which he completed in 1940 with a doctorate. After the Second World War , he went to the USA for further studies in 1945. There he met in 1946 at the Rockefeller University in New York City on Albert Claude , of him for working with the electron enthusiastic. In 1952 he received US citizenship.
The focus of his work was electron microscopic and pulse marking studies of cell structures such as mitochondria , chloroplasts and the Golgi apparatus . In 1953 he provided the first description of ribosomes . From 1958 to 1973 he was a professor at the Rockefeller Institute. In 1957 he was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences , in 1961 to the National Academy of Sciences . In 1967 Palade received the Gairdner Foundation International Award , and in 1971 the Dickson Prize in Science . In 1973 he became a member of the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina . In 1974, together with Albert Claude and Christian de Duve, he received the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine “for their discoveries about the structural and functional organization of the cell”. In 1976 he was President of the American Society for Cell Biology . In 1981 he received the EB Wilson Medal and in 1985 the Schleiden Medal .
- G. Farquhar: A man for all seasons: reflections on the life and legacy of George Palade. In: Annual review of cell and developmental biology. Volume 28, 2012, pp. 1-28, doi: 10.1146 / annurev-cellbio-101011-155813 . PMID 22831641 . .
- Andrew Pollack: George Palade, Nobel Winner for Work Inspiring Modern Cell Biology, Dies at 95. In: The New York Times . October 9, 2008
- JD Jamieson: A tribute to George E. Palade. In: The Journal of clinical investigation. Volume 118, Number 11, November 2008, pp. 3517-3518, PMID 19065752 . PMC 2575727 (free full text). .
- TL Lentz: History of the Department of Cell Biology at Yale School of Medicine, 1813-2010. In: The Yale journal of biology and medicine. Volume 84, Number 2, June 2011, pp. 69-82, PMID 21698037 . PMC 3117420 (free full text). .
- Gisela Baumgart: Palade, George Emil. In: Werner E. Gerabek , Bernhard D. Haage, Gundolf Keil , Wolfgang Wegner (eds.): Enzyklopädie Medizingeschichte. De Gruyter, Berlin / New York 2005, ISBN 3-11-015714-4 , p. 1089.
- Information from the Nobel Foundation on the 1974 award to George Emil Palade
- University of San Diego: George E. Palade, MD ( July 6, 2008 memento on the Internet Archive )
- Member of George E. Palade at the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina , accessed on October 12, 2012.
|SURNAME||Palade, George Emil|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American medic of Romanian descent|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 19, 1912|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Iași , Romania|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 7, 2008|
|Place of death||Del Mar , California|