Points evaluation (Tour de France)
The points classification of the Tour de France has been held since 1953. The driver who collects the most points during all stages wins. The points are awarded for the placement at the finish as well as for intermediate sprints during the stage.
Points are awarded in the special regulations of the Tour de France. This was fundamentally revised for the 2011 edition . Starting with the 2015 event , the awarding of points was adjusted in favor of the winners of the flat stages.
|Category of arrival /
|Points are awarded according to placement|
|Central mountain stages||30th||25th||22nd||19th||17th||15th||13||11||9||7th||6th||5||4th||3||2|
High mountain stages ,
individual time trials and
If there is a tie, the following criteria will be considered in sequence:
- Number of stage wins
- Number of victories in intermediate sprints
- Placement in the overall ranking
Points can be deducted for rule violations such as letting the team car push them. This can even result in a negative total score for a driver.
The same applies to drivers who exceed the waiting period but are allowed to continue the race due to a jury decision due to exceptional circumstances. In this case, the drivers concerned will be deducted the number of points that are to be awarded to the winner on the corresponding stage.
Record holder is Peter Sagan with seven wins.
Eddy Merckx is the only driver who has won all three jerseys ( yellow jersey , green jersey and spotted jersey ) several times (five yellows, three green, two mountain classification); when he won his first tour in 1969, he did all three at once. Bernard Hinault was also able to win every jersey at least once, five yellows and one green and one mountain classification.
|1||Peter Sagan||Slovakia||7th||2012 , 2013 , 2014 , 2015 , 2016 , 2018 , 2019|
|2||Erik Zabel||Germany||6th||1996 , 1997 , 1998 , 1999 , 2000 , 2001|
|3||Sean Kelly||Ireland||4th||1982 , 1983 , 1985 , 1989|
|4th||Jan Janssen||Netherlands||3||1964 , 1965 , 1967|
|4th||Eddy Merckx||Belgium||3||1969 , 1971 , 1972|
|4th||Freddy Maertens||Belgium||3||1976 , 1978 , 1981|
|4th||Jamolidin Abduschaparov||Uzbekistan||3||1991 , 1993 , 1994|
|4th||Robbie McEwen||Australia||3||2002 , 2004 , 2006|
|9||Stan Ockers||Belgium||2||1955 , 1956|
|9||Jean Graczyk||France||2||1958 , 1960|
|9||André Darrigade||France||2||1959 , 1961|
|9||Laurent Jalabert||France||2||1992 , 1995|
|9||Thor Hushovd||Norway||2||2005 , 2009|
- Tour de France in the ProCyclingStats.com database
References and comments
- cf. for the Tour de France 2012: Regulations of the Tour de France 2012 ( Memento des Originals of July 14, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (PDF; 1.5 MB), there Art. 24 B (French / English), accessed on July 2, 2012
- Changes to Tour de France green jersey classification confirmed. cyclingnews.com, October 23, 2014, accessed October 27, 2014 .
- meantime because of his doping confession, but now recognized again because of the statute of limitations for the offense.