Calendar overview 1044
Heinrich III. defeated the Hungarians
under King Sámuel Aba in the battle of Menfö .
|1044 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||492/493 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1587/88 (southern Buddhism); 1586/87 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||62nd (63rd) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||406/407 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||422/423 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||435/436 (July 28-29)|
|Jewish calendar||4804/05 (August 26-27)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1354/55 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1355/56 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1100/01 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
Holy Roman Empire / Hungary
- April 19 : Gotzelo I , Duke of Upper Lorraine and Lower Lorraine and Lord of Zutphen , dies. King Henry III enfeoffs Gotzelos older son Gottfried with Upper Lorraine and Zutphen and Gotzelos second son Gotzelo II with the same name with Lower Lorraine.
- July 5th : German troops under King Heinrich III. defeat Hungarian troops under King Sámuel Aba , who is captured and executed, in the Battle of Menfö .
- The Venetian Peter Orseolo is named after Henry III. Victory over Sámuel Aba and his execution as Henry's vassal in Stuhlweissenburg, re-installed as King of Hungary . However, he can only rule with a massive Bavarian and Bohemian military presence.
- August 21 : Count Gottfried II of Anjou defeated in the battle of Nouy Theobald III. von Blois and his brother Stephan I von Champagne , thereby securing control of the Touraine for the Plantagenet family .
- Anawrahta ascends the throne of Bagan and leads the Burmese kingdom to a great increase in power.
- Rajadhiraja Chola becomes ruler of the Chola empire of the Tamils in India after the death of his father Rajendra I.
First documentary mentions
- Azelin becomes Bishop of Hildesheim . He succeeds Thietmar , who died on November 14th, in this role.
Date of death secured
- January 14 : Adelheid I , Franconian Emperor's daughter, Abbess of the Quedlinburg, Gandersheim, Gernrode and Frose (* 977 ) monasteries
- January 18 : Azecho , Bishop of Worms
- April 19 : Gotzelo I , Duke of Lower and Upper Lorraine (* around 970 )
- July 5 : Sámuel Aba , King of Hungary (* around 990 )
- July 5 : Sieghard VII. , Count im Chiemgau (* around 1010 )
- July 12 : Rudolf von Werl , Count in Groningerland (* around 985 )
- November 14th : Thietmar , Bishop of Hildesheim
Exact date of death unknown
- Brjatschislaw von Polotsk , Prince of Polotsk (* around 997 )
- Mathilde of Friesland , Queen of France, second wife of King Heinrich I (* around 1024 )
- asch-Sharif al-Murtaḍā , Twelve Shiite legal scholar and Koran commentator (* around 965 )
- Rajendra I. , King of the Indian Chola Empire