embarks on an
expedition to Vinland around 1010 .
Among others, his wife
Gudridur Thorbjarnardottir is on board .
|1010 in other calendars
|458/459 (turn of the year July)
|1553/54 (southern Buddhism); 1552/53 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )
|61st (62nd) cycle , year of the metal dog庚戌 ( at the beginning of the year Earth-Rooster 己酉)
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)
|372/373 (turn of the year April)
|400/401 (turn of the year August 14/15)
|4770/71 (September 10-11)
|Babylon: 1320/21 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1321/22 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)
|1066/67 (turn of the year April)
|Byzantine-Bulgarian Wars (since 977/1002)
Politics and world events
East Franconian-German Empire
The Roman-German King Heinrich II gathered an army in the Lausitz region for a campaign against Poland under Duke Bolesław I Chrobry . Because of an illness, however, he has to leave without having achieved anything. The army then devastated the lands of the Lusatian margrave Gero , who was not compensated for these attacks.
In March Basileios Mesardonites, the Byzantine governor of the Katepanate of Italy , began the siege of the city of Bari, which was held by Lombard insurgents under the leadership of Apulians Meles and his brother-in-law Dattus .
Sulayman al-Mustain , Caliph of Cordoba , tries to conquer Toledo , where his predecessor Muhammad II al-Mahdi fled at the end of last year. However, he suffers a defeat, Córdoba is sacked by the Catalans and Muhammad II becomes caliph again. A little later, however, he was overthrown and killed in a coup by slave troops under al-Wahdid . Hisham II becomes caliph for the second time after he had to transfer power to the chamberlain Almansor in 997 and then spent the time in captivity under changing rulers. However, he is now under the dominant influence of al-Wahdid. At the same time, there are fighting with Berber troops who continue to support Sulaiman al-Mustain.
Other events on the Iberian Peninsula
- July 2nd : Ermengol II. Succeeds his father Ermengol I as Count of Urgell . Initially he was under the tutelage of his uncle Raimund Borrell , Count of Barcelona . This leads a campaign against the weakened caliphate.
- The wave of destruction of Christian churches under al-Hākim bi-amr Allāh fell victim to the Deir al-Qazir monastery near Cairo. Arsenios , the Melkite patriarch of Alexandria , is executed in July.
Emperor Lý Thái Tổ , founder of the Vietnamese Lý dynasty, chose the citadel called Đại La on the west bank of the Red River delta, built in 866 by the Chinese Tang dynasty , as his residence city and called it Thăng Long ( rising dragon ). This is considered the founding day of Hanoi . The architecture of the imperial residence, which was built in the following years on the ruins of the Chinese fortress and on drained alluvial land, is based on Chinese models. In the square inner royal city ( Hoàng Thành ), the most important buildings are arranged along a north-south axis, with the throne hall, ministries and administrative buildings in the middle. To the north is the Purple Forbidden City ( Tử Cấm Thành ) with ornate palaces and gardens, in which the royal family resides. This inner area is enclosed by the outer city ( Kinh Thành ), which is also square, with the quarters of the common people, traders and craftsmen.
- Thorfinn Karlsefni built the Hóp settlement in Vinland on the Gulf of St. Lawrence for three years . Participants in the expedition include his wife Guðríður Þorbjarnardóttir and Freydis Eriksdóttir , Leif Eriksson's half-sister . During this time, Thorfinn's son Snorri wirdorfinnsson was born, making him the first child of European descent to be born in America.
First documentary mentions
- April 16 : The present-day Munich district of Aubing is first mentioned in a document as Ubingun . According to this document, King Heinrich II returns property in eight villages to Polling Monastery , which according to the document "apparently" previously belonged to the monastery. This probably refers to an expropriation of the monastery by the former Bavarian Duke Arnulf I to finance his army during the Hungarian invasions . In addition to Aubing, the return affects the places Polling , Weilheim , Rieden, Landstetten , Aschering and Wangen , all west and north of Lake Starnberg , as well as a Pfaffenhofen, probably Oberpfaffenhofen .
- First documentary mention of the Russian city of Yaroslavl , the Aargau community of Koblenz AG as Confluentia , the small Bavarian town of Weilheim in Upper Bavaria and the town of Anrath on the Lower Rhine .
- Głogów is first mentioned in a document.
- The Bavarian Starringer family is first mentioned in a document.
- Adalbald II becomes Bishop of Utrecht as the successor to Ansfried , who died on May 3rd . He is considered to be the most important founder of the territorial power of the diocese. He not only has to defend his diocese against attacks by the Normans , but also against attacks by neighboring nobles.
- Henry II. Gives the women monastery Niedernburg the imperial immediacy and gives him vast areas, including the lands Abbey Country and Oberfrauenwald .
- Construction of the Svetitskhoveli Cathedral in Mtskheta near Tbilisi begins under the reign of King Giorgi II at the instigation of the Georgian Catholicos Melkizedek .
- A stone block from the southwest stair tower with the year 1010 suggests that Bishop Bernward lays the foundation stone for the St. Michaelis Church in Hildesheim this year .
- December 7 : The Fatimid caliph al-Hākim orders the withdrawal of the equality of the Sunni and Shiite rites that he introduced the previous year .
nature and environment
Date of birth saved
Exact date of birth unknown
- Eustach I , Count of Boulogne and progenitor of the House of Boulogne († 1049 )
- Michael IV , Emperor of the Byzantine Empire († 1041 )
Born around 1010
- Adalbero , Bishop of Würzburg († 1090 )
- Adalbero III. , Bishop of Metz († 1072 )
- Amatus , Bishop of Capaccio, then chronicler and monk in the Benedictine monastery of Monte Cassino († after 1078)
- Anno II , Archbishop of Cologne († 1075 )
- Benno , Bishop of Meissen and Catholic saint († 1106 )
- Gebhard , Archbishop of Salzburg († 1088 )
- Sieghard VII. , Count in Chiemgau († 1044 )
Date of death secured
- May 3 : Ansfried , Count in Leuven and Bishop of Utrecht (* around 940 )
- June 2nd : Ermengol I , Count of Urgell
Exact date of death unknown
- July: Arsenios of Alexandria , Melkite theologian and bishop
- Hosed , Abbot of Corvey
- Muhammad II. Al-Mahdi , Caliph of Cordoba
- Xing Bing , Confucian scholar and commentator from the time of the Northern Song Dynasty (* 932 )