coat of arms
|mayor||Mieke Baltus ( CDA )|
|Seat of the municipality||Heemskerk|
|31.68 km 2
27.22 km 2
4.46 km 2
|Residents||39,152 (Jan 31, 2019)|
|Population density||1236 inhabitants / km 2|
|Important traffic route|
|Website||Homepage of Heemskerk|
The center is about six kilometers east of the North Sea coast, eleven kilometers west of Zaanstad , three kilometers north of Beverwijk and 14 kilometers south of Alkmaar . The municipality consists of the town of the same name Heemskerk and the districts Heemskerkerduin, Waterakkers, Noorddorp , Assumburg, De Maer and Zuidbroek.
On January 31, 2019 it had 39,152 inhabitants and an area of 27.43 km², of which 1.11 km² consists of water.
The highest point is a 25 meter high dune in the five kilometers wide and partly wooded dune belt between the North Sea beach and the town center.
Heemskerk has its own train station on the Haarlem - Alkmaar line ; another is in the neighboring town of Uitgeest between Alkmaar and Amsterdam . The A9 runs past the municipality with junctions in Heemskerk, Beverwijk and Castricum . Schiphol International Airport is 23 km south.
In the community, in the past quite a few strawberries were grown, which plays Agriculture virtually no role more who commute most residents in the big cities, especially to the blast furnaces of Corus in IJmuiden or Amsterdam ; others are active in the service sector or work in rather smaller industrial companies . There are also some sanatoriums because of the proximity to the North Sea .
Since the community itself has practically no developed beach section, tourism - in contrast to neighboring communities such as Castricum - is not an important economic factor.
The city was first mentioned in a document in 1063. In the 12th and 13th centuries, Heemskerk was the scene of many disputes between West Frisians and the Count of Holland . Some castles were also built as border fortresses. Heemskerk Castle still exists as the Marquette House. The Assumburg has also been preserved. When the IJmuiden blast furnaces started operating, the farming village began to develop into a satellite town.
Distribution of seats in the municipal council
After the local elections on March 21, 2018 and the previous elections, the following allocation of seats resulted:
Mieke Baltus ( CDA ) has been the acting mayor of the municipality since July 4, 2013 . The councilors Aad Schoorl ( Heemskerk Lokaal ), Cees Beentjes ( PvdA ), Frank Frowijn (CDA), Marieke van Dijk ( D66 ) as well as the community secretary Jornt Ozenga belong to her team .
- Assumburg Castle, built in 1546, which has been a youth hostel since 1933 .
- Another castle, Château Marquette , was built in 1271. It was owned by a noble family from Wallonia from 1610 to 1971 . Marquette can be visited. Part of the castle is used as a hotel and restaurant.
- The Reformed Church, built in the 16th century with a monument by the painter Martin van Heemskerck from Heemskerk .
sons and daughters of the town
- Martin van Heemskerck (1498–1574), painter and engraver
- Nicolaas Henneman (1813–1898), photographer
- Rolf de Heer (* 1951), Australian director, screenwriter and film producer
- Ernesto Hoost (* 1965), kickboxer
- Rafael van der Vaart (* 1983), football player
- Jeffrey Gouweleeuw (* 1991), football player
- Pelle van Amersfoort (* 1996), football player
- Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand . In: StatLine . Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek (Dutch)
- seats in the municipal council: 2006 2010 2014 2018 , accessed on May 6, 2018 (Dutch)
- Result of the local elections: 2014 2018 , accessed on May 6, 2018 (Dutch)
- Samenstelling college van B&W Gemeente Heemskerk, accessed on May 6, 2018 (Dutch)
- Nizozemsko - Heemskerk Mĕsto Klatovy, accessed on May 6, 2018 (Czech)