|Administrative headquarters :||Yamagata|
|Main island :||Honshu|
|Area :||9,323.15 km²|
|Water content:||0.02 %|
(October 1, 2019)
|Population density :||116 inhabitants per km²|
|ISO 3166-2 :||JP-06|
|Governor :||Mieko Yoshimura|
|Prefecture flag :|
|Prefecture tree :||cherry|
|Prefecture flower :||Safflower|
|Vogel prefecture :||Mandarin duck|
|Fish prefecture :||Oncorhynchus masou|
|Prefecture mammal :||Japanese serau|
|Prefecture song :||
(" Mogami River ")
- Three Mountains of Dewa (Gassan, Haguro-san and Yudono-san)
- Jizo-san (1736 m)
- Juhyo-Kogen (1703 m)
- Kumano-dake (1841 m)
Rivers & Lakes
Yamagata has been ruled by Governor Mieko Yoshimura since 2009 , who was elected against incumbent Hiroshi Saitō with the support of the Democrats and the left-wing parties SDP and CPJ as well as individual Liberal Democrats who were dissatisfied with Saitō's policies. Since then, she has been confirmed in office twice in a row, in 2013 and 2017 , due to the lack of opposing candidates without a vote. In parliament, the Liberal Democratic Party was able to defend a clear absolute majority in the April 2019 elections with 27 of the 43 seats.
In the national parliament , Yamagata represents three members of the House of Representatives and two senators. After the elections in 2016 , 2017 and 2019 , the prefecture's delegation currently (as of August 2019) consists of:
- in the House of Representatives
- for the 1st constituency with the capital: Toshiaki Endō (LDP, 8th term of office), former Olympic Minister in the third Abe cabinet,
- for the 2nd constituency in the south and east: Norikazu Suzuki (LDP, 3rd term)
- for the 3rd constituency, which includes the coast and the north of Yamagata: Ayuko Katō (LDP, 2nd term of office), descendant of the former MPs Seizō and Kōichi Katō , who narrowly prevailed against the non-party incumbent Juichi Abe in 2014 ,
- in the Senate
- until 2022: Yasue Funayama (non-party to the DVP parliamentary group, 2nd term of office), who prevailed in 2016 as the unity candidate of the opposition parties with a clear lead and thus returned to the Senate in 2013 after being voted out of Yamagata's other seat, and
- until 2025: Michiya Haga (non-party to the DVP parliamentary group, 1st term), who, as the unity candidate of the opposition parties, narrowly won the 2019 election against incumbent Mizuho Ōnuma (LDP).
At the beginning of the following table are the independent cities, including the capital Yamagata, which has been a "core city" since April 2019 . It is followed by the districts in italics ( -gun , the last three digits can be divided by 20), within these blocks the communities of the relevant district follow (indented). When the keys were introduced in 1970, these key numbers were continuous. However, due to mergers, incorporations or upgrading to urban districts ( -shi ), there were gaps in the number series in many places. Although the districts are no longer administrative units since the 1920s, they are still used for geographical division and also for postal addresses. As usual, the
first two digits of the authority code are the prefecture key of Yamagata, the third digit indicates the type of authority:
- A 1 stands for a large city with special functions, which is divided into city districts;
- a 2 denotes other urban districts;
- the numbers 3 to 7 are reserved for municipalities belonging to the district (i.e. small towns and villages).
|code||Surname||Area (in km²)||population||Population
density (inh / km²) 3
|Rōmaji||Kanji||October 1, 2018 1||October 1, 2019 2||October 1, 2015 3|
|06201||Yamagata- shi||山形 市||381.30||250.998||253.832||665.7|
|06202||Yonezawa- shi||米 沢 市||548.51||82,983||85,953||156.7|
|06203||Tsuruoka- shi||鶴 岡 市||1311.53||125.084||129,652||98.9|
|06204||Sakata- shi||酒 田 市||602.97||102.353||106.244||176.2|
|06205||Shinjō- shi||新 庄 市||222.85||35,515||36,894||165.6|
|06206||Sagae- shi||寒 河 江 市||139.03||40,417||41,256||296.7|
|06207||Kaminoyama- shi||上山 市||240.93||30.211||31,569||131.0|
|06208||Murayama- shi||村 山 市||196.98||23,496||24,684||125.3|
|06209||Nagai- shi||長 井 市||214.67||26,780||27,757||129.3|
|06210||Tendō- shi||天 童 市||113.01||62,081||62.194||550.3|
|06211||Higashine- shi||東 根 市||206.94||47,749||47,768||230.8|
|06212||Obanazawa- shi||尾 花 沢 市||372.53||15,771||16,953||45.5|
|06213||Nan'yō- shi||南陽 市||160.52||31,272||32,285||201.1|
|06300||Higashimurayama gun||東村 山 郡||92.60||24,916||25,732||277.9|
|06301||Yamanobe-machi||山 辺 町||61.45||14.005||14,369||233.8|
|06320||Nishimurayama-gun||西村 山 郡||796.53||37,973||40.179||50.4|
|06340||Kitamurayama-gun||北 村 山 郡||79.54||6885||7357||92.5|
|06341||Ōishida-machi||大 石田 町||79.54||6885||7357||92.5|
|06360||Mogami gun||最 上郡||1580.38||38,045||41.001||25.9|
|06362||Mogami-machi||最 上 町||330.37||8252||8902||26.9|
|06363||Funagata-machi||舟 形 町||119.04||5283||5631||47.3|
|06364||Mamurogawa-machi||真 室 川 町||374.22||7573||8137||21.7|
|06365||Okura-mura||大 蔵 村||211.63||3152||3412||16.1|
|06367||Tozawa-mura||戸 沢 村||261.31||4403||4773||18.3|
|06380||Higashiokitama gun||東 置 賜 郡||346.86||37,846||39,633||114.3|
|06381||Takahata-machi||高 畠 町||180.26||23,031||23,882||132.5|
|06400||Nishiokitama gun||西 置 賜 郡||1224.68||27,520||29,347||24.0|
|06401||Oguni-machi||小 国 町||737.56||7318||7868||10.7|
|06402||Shirataka- machi||白鷹 町||157.71||13,296||14,175||89.9|
|06403||Iide-machi||飯 豊 町||329.41||6906||7304||22.2|
|06420||Higashitagawa gun||東 田 川 郡||282.39||28,403||29,394||104.1|
|06426||Mikawa-machi||三 川 町||33.22||7566||7728||232.6|
|06460||Akumi-gun||飽 海 郡||208.39||13,508||14,207||68.2|
|06461||Yuza-machi||遊 佐 町||208.39||13,508||14,207||68.2|
|Shi-bu ( All Shi , proportion of urban districts)||市 部||4711.77||874.710||897.041||190.4|
|Gun-bu ( All Gun , percentage of counties)||郡 部||4611.38||215.096||226,850||49.2|
|06000||Yamagata-Ken (Yamagata Prefecture)||山形 県||9323.15||1,089,806||1,123,891||120.5|
1 Area data from 2017
2 Estimated population 2018
3 Results of the 2015 census
- In the specified period (2000–2015) there were only two boundary changes in the cities: the incorporation of 5 communities into the city of Tsuruoka (October 1, 2005) and the incorporation of 3 communities into the city of Sakata (November 1, 2005).
- The number of cities has remained unchanged since April 1967: Nan'yō was raised to the rank of city.
Population development in the prefecture
men to 1000 women
per km 2
- State of Colorado in the United States
- Province of Heilongjiang in mainland China
- Irian Jaya region in Indonesia
Temples, museums & buildings
- Bunshokan, Yamagata : British Renaissance style brick building
- Chido Museum: reconstructed historical buildings
- Mount Haguro : national treasure
- Domon Ken Museum: first photography museum in Japan
- Shinjo History Center: Exhibition on the Snow Country
- Tsuruoka Park, seat of the Sakai feudal family (1622–1868): cherry blossom
- Uesugi family mausoleum: mausoleum surrounded by cedar trees
Traditional folk drama
- Kurokawa No Theater , mask dance with singing . has been performed by farmers in Kushibiki Township for 500 years.
- Hayashike - Bugaku, court dance : In the community of Kahoku according to the house law of the Hayashike family, court dance handed down from generation to generation for 1000 years. The original type that has been preserved to this day is recognized as an important intellectual cultural asset.
- 2nd weekend in February, Yonezawa : Yukidōrō Festival (Snow Lanterns) : There are snow lanterns that are lit from the inside along the streets.
- April 29 - May 3, Yonezawa : Uesugi Festival : A battle from the 17th century is re-enacted.
- 6-8 August, Yamagata : Hanagasa Festival (flower-covered hat) : Summer festival with more than 5000 dancers.
- 24.-26. August, Shinjo : Shinjō Festival : typical summer festival with many floats
- Onsen , hot baths : Akakura, Akayu, Atsumi , Ginzan, Hanezawa, Higashine , Hijiori, Kaminoyama , Onogawa, Sagae , Semi-, Shirabu, Tendo- , Yunchama, Yutagawa, Zao - Onsen
Important fruit growing
- Cherries : mid-June to mid-July. In the prefecture, 70% of the cherries are harvested by volume, with higashine as the center.
- Grapes : mid-August to mid-October
- Apples : late October to mid-November
- Yamagata Prefectural Parliament : Members by political group , accessed August 4, 2019.
- 山形 県 知事 、 吉 村 美 栄 子 氏 が 無 投票 ３ 選 . (No longer available online.) In: Yomiuri Online . January 5, 2017, archived from the original on January 5, 2017 ; Retrieved January 23, 2017 (Japanese).
- 統一 地方 選 2019 山形 県 議 選 各 党 議席 . In: NHK Senkyo Web. April 7, 2019, Retrieved August 4, 2019 (Japanese).
- Kokudo Chiriin (GSI - Geospatial Information Authority of Japan), 平 成 30 年 全国 都 道 府 県 市区 町 村 別 面積 調 (Nationwide Survey of All Prefectures and Municipalities 2018) , p. 25: 06 Yamagata-ken (Japanese), accessed on 15 April 2019
-  (Japanese) Retrieved April 15, 2019
- e-stat (English), accessed on April 15, 2019
- e-Stat database , accessed on April 15, 2019 (English)
- e-Stat database , accessed on April 15, 2019 (English)
- 「今年 は 大 粒 で 甘 め で す」 果樹 王国 ・ 山形 の 物産 展 ＰＲ . In: MSN 産 経 ニ ュ ー ス . June 9, 2009, archived from the original on November 28, 2010 ; Retrieved August 13, 2016 (Japanese).