|coat of arms||Germany map|
|Administrative region :||Tübingen|
|County :||Lake Constance district|
|Height :||406 m above sea level NHN|
|Area :||4.28 km 2|
|Residents:||2095 (Dec. 31, 2018)|
|Population density :||489 inhabitants per km 2|
|Postal code :||78354|
|Area code :||07551|
|License plate :||FN, TT, ÜB|
|Community key :||08 4 35 053|
|Address of the
|Jahnstraße 5 (temporarily due to the renovation of the town hall)
|Mayor :||Oliver Gortat|
|Location of the municipality of Sipplingen in the Lake Constance district|
Sipplingen is a municipality in the Lake Constance district in Baden-Württemberg . It is located on Lake Constance , about six kilometers northwest of Überlingen . The drinking water of the Lake Constance water supply is taken from Lake Constance in Sipplingen.
In 1979 the place was awarded the title of state-recognized resort by the Tübingen regional council.
Sipplingen is located in the western part of Lake Constance on the northeastern steep bank of the Überlinger See , part of Lake Constance. The municipal area stretches from southwest to northeast in a partly narrow width at along the lake and extends up to on the wooded upper slope. From this nine not very long brooks run down to the lake, the Tobelbach at the city limits of Überlingen, then the Bonensbach, in the village area the brook from the Himbergquelle, the Wiedenbach, the Hörnlebach and finally at the other end of the village the Sulzbach, then the Künstbergbach , the Beerentalbach and most recently the Pfaffentalbach at the municipal boundary of Ludwigshafen .
The village directly bordering the lake is by far the largest district, the others each have only a few buildings and are on the lower slope, Niederhohenfels on the northern edge of the village, the others in the vicinity of the Süßenmühle located on the Tobelbach.
The municipality of Sipplingen includes the village of Sipplingen, the hamlet Süßenmühle, the Niederhohenfels (Sternen) and Schwenkental farms and the Rosenberg houses.
Nature and landscape protection areas
In the municipality of Sipplingens the three nature reserves “ Hödinger Tobel ”, “ Köstenerberg ” and “ Sipplinger Dreieck ” as well as the landscape protection area “Bodenseeufer” are designated (as of April 30, 2009).
The area around Sipplingen has been populated for a very long time. The very well-preserved sequence of sediment layers on the Sipplinger shores of Lake Constance proved to be a rich archaeological site for Stone Age , Neolithic and Bronze Age pile dwellings . Around 20 settlements have now been identified. Dendrochronological studies date the first settlement to exactly 3919 BC. And the last to 933 BC. In addition, a prehistoric shoe was found in 2008 by diving archaeologists from the State Office for Monument Preservation in Baden-Württemberg in a shallow water zone near Sipplingen. It is a very well-preserved sandal made of linden bast, which was made between 2917 and 2856 BC. Is dated.
The village of Sipplingen probably originated between the 6th and 8th centuries. The place is mentioned for the first time in writing in a document from 1155, in which Emperor Friedrich I (Barbarossa) determined the boundaries of the diocese of Constance .
Sipplingen belonged to the Landgraviate of Nellenburg in the Holy Roman Empire and fell to the Electorate in 1805, and from 1806 to the Kingdom of Württemberg . The border treaty of 1810 made Sipplingen part of the Grand Duchy of Baden . There the community belonged to the Überlingen district office, and since June 25, 1939 to the Überlingen district .
Sipplingen developed in relative isolation for a long time. Due to its steep bank location, roads and rail connections to neighboring communities were not built until the 19th century. In the 20th century, agriculture, which had prevailed until then, lost its importance and the place developed into a residential community.
In 1945 the place became part of the French occupation zone and thus belonged to the newly founded southern state of Baden , which in 1952 became part of the southern Baden administrative district of the new state of Baden-Württemberg. In 1973 the district reform in Baden-Württemberg took place , when Sipplingen became part of the Lake Constance district .
In 1987 the village won a gold medal in the national competition Our village should be more beautiful .
The municipal councils are elected in Baden-Württemberg for a period of five years. The mayor is a member and chairman of the municipal council.
After the local elections on May 26, 2019, the distribution of seats was as follows:
|Party / list||Share of votes||+/-||Seats||+/-|
|Sipplinger Free Voters||57.7%||+ 5.7%||7 seats||+1|
The mayor is elected directly by the citizens of the municipality for a period of eight years. The full-time mayor of the municipality of Sipplingen has been Oliver Gortat since July 1, 2017.
- Mayor of Sipplingen since 1957
- 1957–1977: Robert Cordes-Schmid
- 1977–1993: Kurt Binder
- 1993–2001: Klaus Kayan
- 2001–2017: Anselm Neher
- since 2017: Oliver Gortat
coat of arms
The coat of arms of the municipality of Sipplingen shows a red lion in silver, the chest covered with a left oblique right hand, with the right paw a golden vine growing from the lower edge with three golden grapes and three green leaves, with the left holding a blue vine knife.
Economy and Infrastructure
The local residents mainly work in medium-sized businesses. Mostly local craftsmen and tradespeople have settled in the Längerach industrial park . For years the focus has been shifting continuously from the manufacturing to the service industry . Tourism in particular is becoming increasingly important.
A lot of fruit is grown primarily as a sideline or for personal use , with cherries playing a particularly important role. In addition, plums, mirabelle plums, plums, apples, pears and walnuts are grown and honey is extracted. The steep bank landscape of Sipplingen can only be used agriculturally with great effort through orchards, gardens, forest and bushes. There are 26 small burners (as of December 2011).
The water intake and treatment plant of the administration union Lake Constance Water Supply , of about four million people in Baden-Wuerttemberg with drinking water supplies, are on Sipplinger district.
Since 2015, large amounts of water have been disappearing in Sipplingen, which cannot "be explained by defective water pipes". In 2019 alone, around 66,000 cubic meters of water disappeared.
Due to recurring or threatening landslides and rock falls on the steep rock faces in the area of the Sipplinger slope , the road, bike path and railway line had to be closed in the past.
The community is located on the Stahringen – Friedrichshafen railway line operated by Deutsche Bahn AG and belongs to the Bodensee-Oberschwaben transport association ( bodo ).
Lake Constance cycle path
The sixth stage of the Jubiläumsweg , a 111-kilometer hiking trail that was signposted in 1998 for the 25th anniversary of the Lake Constance district, runs through the municipality of Sipplingens . It leads over six stages through the hinterland of Lake Constance from Kressbronn via Neukirch , Meckenbeuren , Markdorf , Heiligenberg and Owingen to Überlingen .
Sipplingen can be reached by Motorbootgesellschaft Bodman mbH from the beginning of April to mid-October, both from Bodman-Ludwigshafen and from Überlingen across the lake.
Leisure and sports facilities
Sipplingen has two marinas in which boats from locals and holidaymakers are moored. There is a beach volleyball field, two boules or boccia lanes and a public lido on the banks of the river. In Längerach there are two soccer fields, a small playing field and athletics facilities.
Culture and sights
The view of Lake Constance and the 1000-year-old linden tree at the Haldenhof inn are well worth seeing.
There is a small gallery in the former station building.
- In the center of the village is the old Catholic parish church of St. Martin , which is consecrated to St. Martin and St. Georg . The interior of the Gothic building is baroque .
- The Franciscan convent Sipplingen was founded before 1445 and closed in 1782.
- Sipplinger waterworks. The drinking water of the Lake Constance water supply is taken from Lake Constance in Sipplingen and pumped up to the Sipplinger Berg. The Sipplinger Berg waterworks is Germany's largest waterworks.
The citizen militia from Sipplingen consists of the departments marching band, militia band and team under rifle. They owe their existence to their intervention against Baden revolutionaries in Bodman in 1849 .
Sons and daughters of the church
- Johann Josef Auer (1666–1739), sculptor, born in Sipplingen
Well-known people who lived in Sipplingen
- Walter Braunfels (1882–1954), composer, lived in Süßenmühle from 1937 to 1954
- State Statistical Office Baden-Württemberg - Population by nationality and gender on December 31, 2018 (CSV file) ( help on this ).
- Lake Constance Water Supply History Lake Constance Water Supply , nd
- Hanspeter Walter: Exhibition with great pictures of the pile dwellings . In: Südkurier of April 8, 2010
- The oldest shoe in Herne ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. . In: Archäologie-Online.de of November 21, 2008
- Hans Peter Walter: Old sandal brings village on their toes. A prehistoric shoe was found outside Sipplingen - treasures endangered . In: Südkurier of March 11, 2009
- Researchers find Stone Age sandals on Lake Constance . In: Schwäbische Zeitung of March 10, 2009, queried on March 9, 2010
- Hanspeter Walter: The lake lets you see deep . In: Südkurier of April 9, 2010
- Election result of the municipal council election 2019
- Municipality of Sipplingen (ed.): Sipplinger steep bank landscape . Überlingen 2009, pp. 2–3
- Südkurier-Grafik: Orlowski / Source: Hauptzollamt Ulm: Number of small burners . In: Hanspeter Walter (hpw): The old monopoly is running out . In: Südkurier of December 17, 2011
- Water in Sipplingen: Where are the 66,000 cubic meters? Süddeutsche Zeitung April 6, 2020
- Bodman Motorboat website
- Sipplingen Franciscan Convent , accessed on July 23, 2011
- Lake Constance Water Supply History Lake Constance Water Supply , nd
- Wasserwerk Sipplinger Berg Bodenseeferien.de, nd
- The citizens' militia took part in the parade 225 years of the Überlingen town band. Broadcast on SWF on May 10, 2009
- Sipplingen citizens' militia website