|description||regional daily newspaper|
|publishing company||Südkurier GmbH ( Germany )|
|First edition||September 8, 1945|
|Frequency of publication||daily except Sundays|
|Sold edition||111,568 copies|
|( IVW 2/2020, Mon-Sat)|
The Südkurier ( spelling : SÜDKURIER ) is a regional daily newspaper based in Constance for the regions of northwestern Lake Constance , the Upper Rhine and the Black Forest . The paper appears six times a week in the Berlin format (since March 1, 2010; previously in the Rhenish format ). The circulation sold is 111,568 copies, a decrease of 24.7 percent since 2000. Since the end of 2013 , the publishing house has belonged entirely to the Pressedruck media group , the publisher of the Augsburger Allgemeine .
|1945||Founding of the Südkurier|
|1952||Purchase of the print shop at the fish market|
|1974||Purchase of Hotel Krone|
|1977||Renting Hotel Hecht|
|1980||Entry of the Holtzbrinck publishing group|
|1987||Participation in radio marine radio|
|1990||Start of production in a new print shop|
|1993||Relocation to a new publishing and editorial building|
|1996||Start online presence|
|2000||Foundation of Arriva GmbH
Foundation of Media Favoriten GmbH
|2008||Takeover of ka-news GmbH|
|2010||Opening of the new print shop.
|2011||The majority share of Südkurier GmbH goes to
|2013||Complete takeover by Mediengruppe
Johannes Weyl (born August 28, 1904 in Kiel , † September 4, 1989 in Konstanz), former deputy head of the magazine department and authorized signatory at Ullstein Verlag (since 1934: Deutscher Verlag ), received the license to establish the company from the French occupation forces at the end of August 1945 of the south courier in Constance. The date of the first issue was September 8th, it was already sold the day before. Weyl also founded Südverlag as a book publisher in 1945 . Partners in the first Südkurier-Gesellschaft were - besides Weyl - the publisher Paul Christiani, the airship builder Hugo Eckener and the central politician Carl Diez .
The initial circulation of 100,000 copies increased rapidly to around 180,000 copies at the end of 1949, despite the paper shortage. Initially, only two issues per week with four pages appeared. From September 1948 the Südkurier appeared permanently three times a week, from the beginning of October 1950 four times, from the beginning of November 1952 five times a week and finally from the beginning of November 1953 on every working day .
The Südkurier was conceived as a journal that was not bound by party politics . He was quickly exposed to political pressure from parties that did not yet have their own party press . This was particularly true of the New Germany - Antifascist Movement for Democratic Construction in the French Zone . The outcome of the elections in France on October 21, 1945 - the Communists emerged as the strongest party - had an impact on press policy in the French occupation zone. The occupying power now decreed that representatives of four leading parties move into the editorial and publishing company of the Südkurier ( Hermann Fiebing , Hermann Dörflinger , Karl Julius Großhans , Rudi Goguel and Friedrich Munding ). Weyl was excluded from further collaboration as a publisher or editor in January 1946. This episode ended on December 29, 1948: the French occupying forces revoked the dissolution of the first Südkurier company and dissolved the second. Weyl received the license back and the Südkurier returned to his hands on February 1, 1949.
1949 to 1979
In 1949, the Südkurier reached readers in a distribution area that stretched to the Black Forest in the north, Lindau and Wangen in the east and the Upper Rhine in the west. At that time he operated 19 branches in this area.
September 1945 – February 1946
editorial committee with representatives
from four parties
Herbert C. Goldscheider
1949 – May 1950
1988 – August 1994
2005 – January 2010
June 2010 – September 2010
Since October 2010
On April 5, 1952, Südkurier acquired the printing works in which it had previously been printed. The oldest part of the Marktstätte 4 / Am Fischmarkt 5 complex was rebuilt between 1958 and 1964. In this context, a new press was set up in 1959 . Regionally, the printing house developed into a pioneer in printing technology, especially in four-color printing . In 1965 the number of subscribers reached the 100,000 mark.
After the district reform in Baden-Württemberg in 1973 , the Südkurier expanded its distribution area. This was done through local editions , including for Titisee-Neustadt and Friedrichshafen . The company expanded its room capacities in Konstanz by purchasing the neighboring Hotel Krone (1974) and renting the Hotel Hecht (1977).
The foreseeable change in the media - private radio and private television were under discussion -, the unresolved question of succession and expected cost increases made Weyl look for a partner since the mid-1970s. In 1979 this seemed to have been found: Johannes Weyl and Georg von Holtzbrinck agreed on the entry of his publishing group , initially as a minority shareholder, later as a majority shareholder.
1980 to 1995
After purchasing 25 percent of the shares in 1980, Holtzbrinck's entry did not go smoothly, but kept the courts busy until the Karlsruhe Higher Regional Court ruled in 1985 that the contracts for the takeover by the Stuttgart publishing house were legal. At the end of 1985, Weyl resigned from his position as publisher and managing director of Südkurier GmbH due to old age.
Two managing directors appointed by the Georg von Holtzbrinck publishing group modernized the Südkurier's publishing concept , its corporate structures and the production conditions. At the same time, they reduced costs. In 1986 the groundbreaking ceremony for a new print shop took place in the Oberlohn industrial estate , and the first Südkurier edition was printed there on February 6, 1990. In 1990 Holtzbrinck took over the Südkurier completely.
In order to keep the editorial office and publishing house on the one hand and printing on the other hand spatially together, the Südkurier moved into a new publishing building in 1993, which since then has once again formed an overall structural complex with the printing house.
Overall, by the mid-1990s, the regional newspaper developed into a media and service company that, in addition to daily newspapers, also produced advertising papers and many other printed products. The delivery of newspapers and brochures was also part of this - organized as a separate GmbH . In addition, the Südkurier group of companies entered radio in 1987 with a stake in Radio Seefunk ; It was sold in 2018. In 1992, the Südkurier founded the Auf Draht call center , which focused on the publishing industry.
In 1996, the media company started its activity as an Internet service provider and content provider with the online service SKOL.de (abbreviation for SüdKurier OnLine ). In 2000, this led to the establishment of a new subsidiary, Media Favoriten GmbH , which initially expanded SKOL.de into a regional portal, but from 2002 focused on making Südkurier content available online; in April 2003 SKOL.de was renamed to www.suedkurier.de . The Südkurier has also been available as an ePaper since 2003 .
At the beginning of 1999, Südkurier took over psg - Press and Distribution Service Baden-Württemberg GmbH , a direct delivery company , which had been in existence for 15 years . In the same year, Anzeiger Südwest was founded to organize the business with advertising papers. Südkurier and Badischer Verlag founded Arriva GmbH in 2000 in order to use the joint logistics capacities of the newspaper deliverers for mail delivery. In 2007 Arriva was sold to the Pin Group ; Badischer Verlag and Südkurier bought the company back in October 2008 . On July 1, 2008, the media company took over the majority in ka-news GmbH , which publishes the Karlsruhe online daily newspaper ka-news .
The opening of the new printing plant was celebrated at the end of February 2010. Since then, the newspaper has been printed on a machine that no longer needs water (manufacturer: Koenig & Bauer ). At the same time, the newspaper switched to the Berlin format . Since 2010 it has also been possible to use Südkurier apps for mobile applications.
The Augsburg-based company Mediengruppe Pressedruck acquired the majority in Südkurier GmbH (51 percent) in 2011 , and the remaining shares were taken over two years later. In mid-2013, Südkurier organized its digital edition as paid content .
At the end of October 2013, a new combined heat and power plant went into operation, the energy of which is used by the print shop.
In addition to expanded offers for readers, Südkurier GmbH also created special offers for traders , such as a digital business directory (today Regiostars ) or solutions for commercial websites (professional homepage) , as well as for tourists and tourism professionals (since 2002, for example, bodenseeferien.de ). Südkurier took over a newspaper in the neighboring Swiss town of Kreuzlingen at the end of 2017: the Kreuzlinger Zeitung . In 2018, the media company integrated Info Kommunal Verlags GmbH ; this company produces community and official gazettes.
The Südkurier started in 1945 with a circulation of 100,000 copies. In 1946 it peaked at more than 182,000 pieces. The currency reform led to a significant drop in sales. In 1965, the circulation again exceeded the threshold of 100,000 copies. At the turn of the millennium, almost 150,000 copies were sold, since then the circulation has fallen, a trend of almost all German daily newspapers .
The circulation sold has decreased by an average of 1.6% per year over the past 10 years. Last year it decreased by 2.5%. It is currently 111,568 copies. The share of subscriptions in the circulation sold is 83.9 percent.
Newspaper and Business Today
Editorial offices of the Südkurier
The newspaper is editorially managed by the chief editor based in Konstanz. The editorial offices for
- Politics and Background
- Sports and regional sports
- Special topics
Südkurier maintains local editorial offices in the following locations:
- Schwarzwald-Baar-Heuberg region
Range of services
The Südkurier GmbH offers its customers the following range:
- Daily newspapers: The Südkurier publishes 17 local editions together with the local newspaper Alb-Bote
- Advertising Papers: These are legally indicator Southwest GmbH organized
- Official and municipal gazettes: Info-Kommunal Verlags-GmbH is responsible for this
- ka-news as a news portal for the Karlsruhe area, responsible is ka-news GmbH
- Digital business models, media and online services for business customers : These are the media favorites , Society for interactive communication mbH offered
- Private postal services - Südkurier GmbH holds half of the shares in arriva GmbH
- Distribution and delivery services, in particular for brochures and advertising papers, via Direkt-Kurier Zusatz GmbH
- Delivery of unaddressed press products, promotional mailings, catalogs and special forms of advertising via psg Press and Distribution Service Baden-Württemberg GmbH
- Printing of newspapers, advertising supplements, magazines and brochures by Druckerei Konstanz GmbH
- Production as well as digital and offset printing of printed matter, advertising material and special products by werk zwei, Print + Medien Konstanz GmbH
- Services before the actual printing such as ad and page production as well as printing plate production with the help of MediaPro Medienproduktion und Service GmbH
- Call center services by the publisher's own Auf Draht Telefon- und Direktmarketing GmbH
Involvement, management and staff
The media group Pressedruck , by its own account the seventh largest newspaper company in Germany, is the sole shareholder of Südkurier GmbH .
Michel Bieler-Loop and Peter Selzer have been managing directors of Südkurier GmbH since October 2019 . The editor-in-chief is Stefan Lutz.
According to Südkurier GmbH , the number of employees is over 800.
Reception and commitment
The Südkurier has been honored several times:
- The Konrad Adenauer Foundation awarded the newspaper the 1st prize of the German Local Journalist Prize 2010 for its relaunch concept . Awards for 2012 ( history category ), 2014 ( society category ) and 2015 ( people category ) also went to the newspaper.
- The WAN-IFRA (World Association of Newspapers and News Publishers) spoke to Südkurier for his media project Class! 2011 a special prize from the World Young Reader Prize .
- Thanks to its design achievements in the years 2012 to 2016, Südkurier was one of the winners of the European Newspaper Award .
In October 2013, the media and advertising expert Wolfgang Koschnick criticized the Südkurier . An interview with him about his book critical of advertising was not published because the Südkurier was apparently afraid of losing advertisers. An editor of the newspaper informed him of this in writing. Koschnick criticized the behavior of the editor and the Südkurier as "submission to advertising". On October 19, 2013, the media magazine Zapp took up the case.
In 2016, an editor who had criticized the mayor of Konstanz several times in the newspaper was warned and transferred to the office . The background is the concern that the city administration could fail as an advertiser or even publish an official journal . The editor-in-chief, on the other hand, gave the reason that the editor had repeatedly not adhered to the four-eyes principle .
"Corporate Social Responsibility"
The readership has been committed to this facility since the aftercare clinic Tannheim was founded (1997). By the end of 2016, following calls for the newspaper, she donated more than 7 million euros. The Südkurier has been honored for its continuous support with the 2008 Media Prize of the German Childhood Cancer Follow-up Care.
- Manfred Bosch : A time of great need. The early years of Südverlag in Konstanz, 1945 to 1952. UVK Verlagsgesellschaft, Konstanz 2009, ISBN 978-3-86764-062-6 .
- Patrick Eich: Decades under the microscope. Empirical study of the development and changes in the main sport in SÜDKURIER from 1945 to 2002 . Dissertation to obtain the degree of Doctor of Social Sciences. Humanities section. Department: History / Sociology at the University of Konstanz, 2005.
- Alexander Kudlich, Robin Meyer-Lucht: Case study Suedkurier.de. In: Peter Glotz , Robin Meyer-Lucht (Ed.): Online against Print. Newspaper and magazine in transition. UVK Verlagsgesellschaft, Konstanz 2004, ISBN 3-89669-443-X , pp. 228-236.
- Sebastian Dix: Südkurier 1945–1952. Moving early years of a regional newspaper. UVK, Universitäts-Verlag Konstanz, 1995, ISBN 3-87940-553-0 .
- Werner Schwarzwälder, Tobias Engelsing: Time images, snapshots from 50 years. The Südkurier anniversary book for Lake Constance, the Black Forest and the Upper Rhine, 1945–1995. Südkurier, Konstanz 1995, ISBN 3-87940-553-0 .
- Gerd Appenzeller, with the assistance of Stephan Bohnke, Hans Huttner, Werner Krebs and Erich Tschor: Südkurier. Pictures and numbers. 6th edition. Constance 1982.
- From the time when the Südkurier was founded. Memories of employees [compilation of the texts: Walter Manggold]. Konstanz printing and publishing house, Konstanz .
- Südkurier appears in the Berlin format. In: Meedia . March 1, 2010, accessed July 14, 2017 .
- according to IVW ( details on ivw.eu )
- Based on Schwarzwälder, Engelsing: Zeitbilder , p. 193.
- Life data of Johannes Weyl. In: www.statistik.baden-wuerttemberg.de. Retrieved July 7, 2017 . For more information on Weyl, see Bosch: Zeit der Schöne Not , pp. 39–57.
- For licensing and founding, see Dix, Südkurier. 1945–1952 , pp. 29–37 and Bosch: Zeit der Schöne Not , pp. 26–29.
- Dix, Südkurier. 1945–1952 , p. 33. Bosch: Zeit der Schöne Not , p. 29.
- Chronicle - The 1940s. Retrieved July 7, 2017 .
- Owner of the publishing house and technical teaching institute Dr. Ing.Paul Christiani. See the chronicle of this company , accessed on July 7, 2017.
- Dix, Südkurier. 1945–1952 , p. 42 f. Schwarzwälder, Engelsing: Zeitbilder , p. 178; Georg Bräunig: The beginning . In: From the time when Südkurier was founded , pp. 6–9, here p. 8.
- Dix, Südkurier. 1945–1952 , p. 44, p. 46, p. 80.
- Dix, Südkurier. 1945–1952 , p. 45.
- Dix, Südkurier. 1945-1952 , p. 134; Schwarzwälder, Engelsing: Zeitbilder , p. 182.
- Georg Bräunig: The beginning . In: From the time when the Südkurier was founded , pp. 6–9, here p. 6; Dix, south courier. 1945–1952 , p. 52 f.
- Dix, Südkurier. 1945-1952 , pp. 62-66.
- Dieter Löffler: Cosmopolitan and connected to home: On the death of the former editor-in-chief Oexle. He was at the helm of SÜDKURIER for two decades - now the former editor-in-chief Franz Oexle has died. In: Südkurier. March 31, 2018, accessed April 3, 2018 .
- On this conflict Dix, Südkurier. 1945-1952 , pp. 57-76. Schwarzwälder, Engelsing: Zeitbilder , p. 184 f.
- On the difficulties and the failure of the second, politically colored Südkurier-Gesellschaft, see Dix, Südkurier. 1945-1952 , pp. 77-94.
- Dix, Südkurier. 1945-1952 , p. 94 f; Schwarzwälder, Engelsing: Zeitbilder , p. 185 f.
- Udo Kairies: The new beginning of the press in the French zone of occupation . In: Arbeitsgemeinschaft Französische Zone : Rundbrief, No. 117-2 / 2005, pp. 3–27, here p. 11. Accessed on July 7, 2017.
- Schwarzwälder, Engelsing: Zeitbilder , p. 200. Thomas Satinsky follows Werner Schwarzwälder at the “Südkurier”. In: Federal Association of German Newspaper Publishers . December 13, 2004, accessed July 13, 2017 . Henning Kornfeld: A newcomer in the south: Uzulis becomes "Südkurier" boss. In: kress.de . May 17, 2010. Retrieved July 13, 2017 . Stefan Lutz is the new editor-in-chief of SÜDKURIER. In: www.suedkurier-medienhaus.de. September 30, 2010, accessed July 13, 2017 .
- Schwarzwälder, Engelsing: Zeitbilder , p. 186. Details on the legal and political background at Dix, Südkurier. 1945-1952 , pp. 109-116.
- Information about the building in the building research / restoration database of the State Office for Monument Preservation Baden-Württemberg , accessed on July 7, 2017.
- Schwarzwälder, Engelsing: Zeitbilder , p. 186 f.
- Schwarzwälder, Engelsing: Zeitbilder , p. 187.
- Schwarzwälder, Engelsing: Zeitbilder , p. 188.
- Schwarzwälder, Engelsing: Zeitbilder , p. 188 f.
- Schwarzwälder, Engelsing: Zeitbilder , p. 193.
- Schwarzwälder, Engelsing: Zeitbilder , p. 191 f.
- Schwarzwälder, Engelsing: Zeitbilder , p. 192.
- Patrick Eich: Decades under the magnifying glass , p. 103.
- Südkurier GmbH. The disputes among the shareholders are over. The generation change has been initiated at the Konstanz regional newspaper . In: Handelsblatt , January 16, 1986.
- See the information on the history of the Konstanz printing works ( Memento of the original from August 2, 2017 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , Accessed on July 13, 2017.
- Schwarzwälder, Engelsing: Zeitbilder , pp. 192–197 and p. 204.
- Schwarzwälder, Engelsing: Zeitbilder , p. 203.
- Information on the website www.suedkurier-medienhaus.de , accessed on July 13, 2017.
- rt1.media group acquires the majority in Radio Seefunk. In: www.radioszene.de. May 17, 2018, accessed February 14, 2019 .
- Information on establishment and specialization according to the company's website , accessed on July 26, 2016.
- Kudlich, Meyer-Lucht: Case study Südkurier.de , p. 228 and p. 234. Patrick Eich: Dekaden under the magnifying glass , p. 106.
- Kudlich, Meyer-Lucht: Case study Südkurier.de , p. 235.
- Mike Daugwill: psg - Press and Distribution Service Baden-Württemberg GmbH celebrates its 25th anniversary. In: agentur-presse.de. October 15, 2009, accessed on July 26, 2017 (psg press release).
- See the founding information on moneyhouse.de , accessed on July 26, 2017.
- Publishers compete with Post . In: Handelsblatt , December 27, 2000.
- Postal service provider: Pin Group takes over Arriva. In: horizon . October 2, 2007, accessed July 13, 2017 .
- Pin group buys Arriva - delivery in the tried and tested form . In: Badische Zeitung , October 5, 2007.
- Klaus Riexinger: Completely shot - Post AG stubbornly defends its privileges - at the expense of the competition . In: Badische Zeitung , March 8, 2009.
- Message from ka-news.de of July 7, 2008 about the takeover by Südkurier ( memento of September 15, 2010 in the Internet Archive ).
- Jörg-Peter Rau: Festival for the new SÜDKURIER. (No longer available online.) In: Südkurier. February 27, 2010, formerly in the original ; Retrieved July 19, 2017 . ( Page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Andreas Schuler, Julia Ebner: The future begins: SÜDKURIER celebrates a new newspaper. In: Südkurier. February 26, 2010. Retrieved July 19, 2017 .
- Südkurier now in Berlin format. (No longer available online.) In: www.vszv.de. March 1, 2010, archived from the original on August 2, 2017 ; Retrieved July 19, 2017 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Henning Kornfeld: “Südkurier” relaunch: smaller format, color everywhere, more service. Kress.de, March 1, 2010, accessed on July 19, 2017 .
- Julia Kloft: "Südkurier" is expanding its cross-media offer. In: Advertise & Sell . March 1, 2010, accessed July 19, 2017 .
- Marco Saal: Holtzbrinck: Mediengruppe Pressedruck takes over the majority in "Südkurier". In: horizon . November 21, 2011, accessed July 13, 2017 .
- Katrin Ansorge: Mediengruppe Pressedruck takes over “Südkurier” completely. In: horizon . December 20, 2013, accessed July 13, 2017 .
- Roland Karle: Courage to experiment. In: Horizont (Report I / 2015, newspapers). April 2, 2015. Retrieved July 19, 2017 .
- For details and technical data, see Modernes BHKW ( Memento of the original from October 17, 2017 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. on druckerei-konstanz.de, accessed on July 19, 2017.
- Martin Jungfer: Bodenseeferien.de celebrates - you win! In: Südkurier. March 6, 2012. Retrieved July 19, 2017 .
- "Südkurier" buys "Kreuzlinger Zeitung". In: Tagblatt . December 9, 2017, accessed February 14, 2019 .
- See Südkurier GmbH, Konstanz. In: www.northdata.de. Retrieved February 14, 2019 .
- Values for 1945 to 1995 from Schwarzwälder, Engelsing: Zeitbilder , p. 198. Values for 2000 to 2015 from IVW , retrieved on July 13, 2017.
- according to IVW ( online )
- according to IVW , second quarter 2020, Mon-Sat ( details and quarterly comparison on ivw.eu )
- See the information on contact options for the editorial offices, accessed on July 14, 2017.
- "Südkurier" closes local edition , message from SWR (online) of October 27, 2017, retrieval on November 14, 2017.
- See the information from Südkurier GmbH , accessed on July 13, 2017.
- Information on the profile of the media group Pressedruck on www.mediengruppe-pd.de , accessed on July 13, 2017.
- SÜDKURIER from October under new management. In: SÜDKURIER Medienhaus. July 1, 2019, accessed on February 10, 2020 (German).
- Information on the management of Südkurier GmbH and its companies. Accessed July 14, 2017.
- the company about the number of employees . Accessed July 14, 2017.
- 2010. Winner of the German Local Journalist Award . In: Konrad Adenauer Foundation . Retrieved July 14, 2017 . Südkurier wins German Local Journalist Award. In: Meedia. May 5, 2011, accessed July 14, 2017 . Report in the Berliner Kurier , May 6, 2011. Report in the Berliner Zeitung , October 11, 2011.
- 2012. Winner of the German Local Journalist Award . In: Konrad Adenauer Foundation . Retrieved July 14, 2017 .
- 2014. Winner of the German Local Journalist Award . In: Konrad Adenauer Foundation . Retrieved July 14, 2017 .
- 2015. Winner of the German Local Journalist Award . In: Konrad Adenauer Foundation . Retrieved July 14, 2017 .
- International award for SÜDKURIER media project “Class!” . Press release from Südkurier GmbH , September 26, 2011. Accessed on July 14, 2017.
- See the information on the company's website . Accessed July 14, 2017.
- Holger Reile: An eerie interview. How the Konstanzer Südkurier submits to the advertising industry . In: New Germany . October 14, 2013, accessed July 14, 2017 .
- ZAPP. Broadcast on October 9, 2013. In: NDR television . Archived from the original ; accessed on July 14, 2017 .
- Holger Reile: editor at Südkurier sidelined. In: Humanistic press service . June 21, 2016. Retrieved July 14, 2017 .
- Eberhard Wein: Commentator has to work in the office. In: Stuttgarter Zeitung . June 23, 2016. Retrieved July 14, 2017 .
- Aftercare clinic Tannheim turns 20th (No longer available online.) In: Alb-Bote. November 26, 2016, formerly in the original ; Retrieved July 19, 2017 . ( Page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Media Prize 2008: The daily newspaper SÜDKURIER collects 2.5 million euros in donations with the help of its readers. In: www.kinderkrebsnachsorge.de. Retrieved July 19, 2017 .