|Part of the country||England|
|region||North West England|
|surface||2,343 km² (25th of 48 )|
Districts / Unitary Authorities
Cheshire [ ˈtʃɛʃər or ˈtʃɛʃɪər ], formerly the County of Chester , is a ceremonial and traditional county in north-west England . The capital is Chester . Cheshire borders the counties of Merseyside , Greater Manchester , Derbyshire , Staffordshire and Shropshire and the former Welsh county of Clwyd .
The gardens and parks in the region are part of the European Garden Heritage Network .
The 1974 reform gave some parts of the county bordering Lancashire to the new counties of Greater Manchester and Merseyside , particularly Stockport and the Birkenhead area . At the same time, Cheshire received Warrington and the surrounding district of Lancashire back.
Halton and Warrington became independent administrative units ( Unitary Authorities ) in 1998 , which are independent of Cheshire. As part of a further administrative reform, further extensive changes were made on April 1, 2009:
- The districts of Chester , Ellesmere Port and Neston and Vale Royal were combined to form the new Unitary Authority Cheshire West and Chester .
- The districts of Congleton , Crewe and Nantwich and Macclesfield were combined to form the new Unitary Authority Cheshire East .
- The County Council of Cheshire was abolished without replacement, so that in the whole of Cheshire there is now only one administrative division into four unitary authorities.
- Cheshire cheese (only known as "Chester cheese" in Germany)
- Bentley Motors (luxury car brand; based in Crewe, Cheshire)
- Mountain equipment
Cheshire in language and literature
- The English expression "grin like a Cheshire cat" means "big grin"; the origin of the phrase, which has occasionally appeared in literature since the 18th century, is still unclear.
- Cheshire Cat ; literary figure known in German as "Cheshire Cat" from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland .
Cities and towns
- Acton , Alderley Edge , Alsager , Aldford , Astbury , Audlem
- Barnton , Beeston , Bickerton , Bollington , Bucklow Hill , Bunbury , Burton (Willaston) , Burton (Taporley)
- Chester , Chelford , Congleton , Crewe , Cheadle
- Daresbury , Disley
- Elworth , Ellesmere Port
- Farndon , Frodsham
- Gawsworth , Great Budworth
- Hale , Haslington , Handforth
- Kelsall , Kerridge , Knutsford
- Langley , Ledsham , Lower Peover
- Macclesfield , Malpas , Marston , Middlewich , Mobberley
- Nantwich , Neston , Northwich
- Ollerton , Parkgate , Peckforton , Poynton, Prestbury , Runcorn
- Sandbach , Siddington , Stretton , Styal , Swettenham
- Tarporley , Tarvin , Tattenhall , Timbersbrook
- Wallasey , Warburton , Warrington , Warmingham , Weaverham , Willaston , Wilmslow , Widnes , Winsford , Wybunbury
- Cheshire County Council - Official Portal (English)
- Cheshire Genealogy - Portal with a detailed collection of links (English)