Tony Cragg, the son of an aeronautical engineer, first worked as an intern at a biochemical research company after graduating from high school before turning to art. He began his studies at Gloucestershire College of Art and Design , then attended the painting class of the then Wimbledon School of Art , before moving to the Royal College of Art in London in 1973 .
During his studies, Tony Cragg's interest shifted from painting to plastic; For example, he stretched nets of knotted cord over everyday objects. His acquaintance with the conceptual artist Richard Long influenced his work during this period. On his “exploratory trips” through the great outdoors and on landfills , Tony Cragg collected objects that served him as material and as inspiration for new work: “Civilization waste meets natural materials”.
In 1976 he accepted a teaching position at the École des Beaux-Arts in Metz . A year later he moved to Wuppertal , where he still lives today. He lived completely withdrawn for two years, only to return to the art scene in 1979 with the work “New Stones, Newton's Tones” - a mosaic of brightly colored, color-coded plastic pieces spread out on the floor .
In the 1980s Cragg was represented at many important international exhibitions. For example at documenta 7 and documenta 8 in Kassel and at five biennials in Venice , São Paulo and Sydney . In the mid-1980s, another turning point in Tony Cragg's work became apparent: objects from his plastic era were replaced by expansive bronze sculptures . In 1988 he received the British Art Prize Turner Prize . Tony Cragg has also devoted himself to drawing since the late 1980s .
From 1979 he taught at the Kunstakademie Düsseldorf, since 1988 as a professor, in 2001 he started as a professor for sculpture at the University of the Arts in Berlin . Since 1994 he has been a member of the Royal Academy of Arts in London and since 2002 a member of the Academy of Arts in Berlin. He was also promoted to Commander of the British Empire (CBE) that same year . He was Vice Rector and since 2009 Rector of the Düsseldorf Art Academy; in this function he followed Markus Lüpertz . On August 1, 2013, he gave the office to Rita McBride . At the beginning of February 2015 he was made an honorary member of the Art Academy.
In 2009 Anthony Cragg was elected to the North Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences and Arts .
In August 2013, Tony Cragg's first memorial was erected in front of the historic main zoo building in Wuppertal . The sculpture is called Domagk and commemorates the invention of the first usable antibiotic , for which Gerhard Domagk received the Nobel Prize in Medicine . In June 2014 was in the pedestrian area of Bonn , the six-meter-high bronze sculpture downtown Mean Average (dt .: Mean average ) in the presence of the artist, the Bonn Mayor Jürgen Nimptsch and Alt-Chancellor Gerhard Schröder unveiled.
On June 30, 2020, the extension of the Marie-Elisabeth-Lüders-Haus in Berlin with a 6 m high sculpture by Tony Cragg towards Luisenstrasse was completed.
Waldfrieden Sculpture Park in Wuppertal
In 2006 the sculptor acquired a 15 hectare overgrown park in Wuppertal with the listed Villa Waldfrieden , the former residence of Kurt Herberts , in order to build the Sculpture Park Waldfrieden here . In order to be able to devote himself to the project, he gave up his professorship at the University of the Arts in Berlin (UdK) and switched to the Düsseldorf Art Academy. The sculpture park was opened in September 2008 . It shows works by Tony Cragg and other international sculptors as well as changing special exhibitions.
Awards and honors
- 1988: Turner Prize , London
- 1989: Von der Heydt Culture Prize , Wuppertal
- 1992: Chevalier des Arts et des Lettres
- 2001: Shakespeare Prize of the Alfred Toepfer Foundation FVS
- 2002: Piepenbrock Prize for Sculpture
- 2007: Praemium Imperiale
- 2009: Golden Suspension Railway , Wuppertal
- 2008: Ring of Honor of the City of Wuppertal
- 2012: Federal Cross of Merit, 1st class
- 2012: Cologne Fine Art Prize
- 2013: Great Culture Prize from the Sparkassen-Kulturstiftung Rheinland
- 2014: Honorary citizen of the city of Wuppertal
- 2015: Honorary member of the Düsseldorf Art Academy
- 2016: Knight Bachelor
- 2017: Prize for visual artists 2017, Düsseldorfer Jonges, laudation Prof. Markus Lüppertz, Düsseldorf, May 2, 2017.
- 1981: Musée d'Art et d'Industrie , St. Etienne, France
- 1982: Museo Cantonale d'Arte , New Stones, Newton's Tones , Lugano
- 1983: Kunsthalle Bern , Switzerland
- 1984: Louisiana Museum of Modern Art , Humlebæk, Denmark
- 1985: Kunsthalle Winterthur , Switzerland
- 1986: The Brooklyn Museum , New York, USA
- 1988: Biennale di Venezia , Italy
- 1989: North Rhine-Westphalia Art Collection , Düsseldorf
- 1990: The Art Institute of Chicago , Chicago, USA
- 1991: Van Abbemuseum , Eindhoven, Netherlands
- 1992: Musée Départemental d'Art Contemporain , Rochechouart , France
- 1994: Art Museum St. Gallen , Switzerland
- 1995: Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia , Madrid, Spain
- 1996: Municipal Gallery in Park Viersen , Germany
- 1997: Museu d'Art Contemporani de Barcelona , Spain
- 1998: Ulmer Museum , Ulm; Municipal gallery in the Lenbachhaus , Munich
- 1999: From the Heydt Museum , Wuppertal
- 1999: Gallery of the City of Stuttgart , Stuttgart ("Spyrogyra")
- 2000: Tate Gallery , Liverpool
- 2000: Works in space , Essl Collection - Contemporary Art, Klosterneuburg / Vienna
- 2001: Chemnitz Art Collections , Chemnitz
- 2003: Art and Exhibition Hall of the Federal Republic of Germany , Bonn
- 2004: Fundacao Serralves, Museu Serralves , Porto, Portugal
- 2005: new museum, State Museum for Art and Design , Nuremberg
- 2005: figur / sculpture , Essl Collection - Contemporary Art, Klosterneuburg / Vienna
- 2006: Academy of the Arts , Berlin; Opening show H2 - Center for Contemporary Art , Augsburg
- 2007: Tony Cragg - the potential of things , Lehmbruck Museum , Duisburg
- 2008: Tony Cragg> <FX Messerschmidt , Orangery in Belvedere Palace , Vienna
- since 2008 Sculpture Park Waldfrieden, Wuppertal
- since 2009 Points of view Art Museum Monastery of our dear women Magdeburg
- 2009: Kunstverein Region Heinsberg , Tony Cragg , sculptures, works on paper
- 2009: Tony Cragg - Second Nature , Staatliche Kunsthalle Karlsruhe ; Bronze sculptures , Museum der Moderne Salzburg
- 2010: CORSO. Works from the Essl Collection in Dialogue , Essl Collection - Contemporary Art, Klosterneuburg / Vienna
- 2011: Tony Cragg - Figure out / Figure in , Louvre , Paris, France; Museum Küppersmühle for Modern Art , Duisburg titled here: Things in the head
- 2011: Tony Cragg: Sculptures and Drawings . Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art One
- 2012: Against the grain , Ernst-Barlach-Haus Hamburg
- 2012: MATRIX in the Nord / LB art gallery in Hanover
- 2016: Parts of the World , retrospective, Von der Heydt-Museum , Wuppertal
- 2016/17: Tony Cragg. Unnatural Selection , Hessisches Landesmuseum Darmstadt , December 2, 2016 to March 26, 2017
- 2017: Tony Cragg: Esculturas y Dibujos , Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes in Havana / Cuba , April 7 to June 12, 2017, catalog in Spanish; then until October 22, 2017: Museum Ludwig Koblenz with the title Tony Cragg. Sculptures and Works on Paper;, catalog in German.
- Peter Kastner: Anthony Cragg. Spine - the articulated column in the Viersen sculpture collection . Viersen 1996, ISBN 3-9805339-0-5 .
- Brigitte Reinhardt (Ed.): Tony Cragg - "Play outside". Sculptures in public spaces; [Exhibition Tony Cragg - Playing Outside, Sculptures in Public Space; April 26 to June 21, 1998, Ulmer Museum], Ulmer Museum, Ulm 1998, ISBN 3-928738-16-X .
- Johann-Karl Schmidt: Tony Cragg, "Spyrogyra". Cantz, Ostfildern 1999.
- Tony Cragg: In and Out of Material , Verlag der Buchhandlung Walther König, Cologne 2006, ISBN 978-3-86560-130-8 .
- Tony Cragg: Second Nature , Dumont, 2009, ISBN 978-3-8321-9165-8 .
- Hella Nussbaum, Hermann J. Mahlberg : From the Waldfrieden House to the Sculpture Park , Müller and Busmann, Wuppertal, ISBN 978-3-941217-01-0 .
- Official website of the artist
- Literature by and about Tony Cragg in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Tony Cragg in the German Digital Library
- Materials by and about Tony Cragg in the documenta archive
- Tony Cragg in the ifa database
- Tony Cragg at the North Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- The Cragg Connection. There has never been so much academy. "The Sculptors" in the NRW Art Collection. - A visit to the exhibition on eiskellerberg.tv (2013)
- eiskellerberg.tv on Arte Creative: Tony Cragg - How deep is the surface?
- WAZ Lokales from June 3, 2013: Art Academy: Rita McBride becomes the new Rector of the Düsseldorf Art Academy , accessed on October 8, 2013
- Rita McBride becomes the new Rector of the Düsseldorf Art Academy. In: derwesten.de. June 3, 2013, accessed July 13, 2018 .
- Düsseldorf: Tony Cragg honorary member of the Art Academy. In: rp-online.de. February 3, 2015, accessed July 13, 2018 .
- Johannes Vesper: Gerhard Domagk: A groundbreaking invention . In: Deutsches Ärzteblatt . tape 110 , no. 33-34 . Deutscher Ärzte-Verlag , 2013, p. A-1573 / B-1387 / C-1369 .
- Thomas Kliemann: Remigiusplatz in Bonn - Gerhard Schröder and Jürgen Nimptsch unveil a six-meter-high sculpture. In: general-anzeiger-bonn.de. June 20, 2014, accessed July 13, 2018 .
- Huge sculpture by Tony Cragg at the Marie-Elisabeth-Lüders-Haus. Retrieved July 5, 2020 .
- German Bundestag - Tony Cragg. Retrieved July 5, 2020 .
- Beatrice Härig: Chance meets predestination. Tony Cragg in Wuppertal , in: Monuments Online 4.2016
- A Ring of Honor for Tony Cragg, WZ.de, October 20, 2008, accessed July 2020
- DPA Starline: Art: Tony Cragg receives Cologne Fine Art Prize. In: Focus Online . September 25, 2012, accessed October 14, 2018 .
- Focus online art from July 18, 2013: Great Sparkasse Culture Prize for sculptor Tony Cragg , accessed on October 8, 2013
- PA_FOC: POSTING: InstaFOCUS. In: Focus Online . February 2, 2017. Retrieved February 14, 2017 .
- Museo Cantonale d'Arte, Lugano: Tony Cragg
- Irene Netta, Ursula Keltz: 75 years of the Städtische Galerie im Lenbachhaus and Kunstbau Munich . Ed .: Helmut Friedel. Self-published by the Städtische Galerie im Lenbachhaus and Kunstbau, Munich 2004, ISBN 3-88645-157-7 , p. 229 .
- On the fascination of the material . For the exhibition in the Lehmbruck Museum Duisburg, February 25 to April 22, 2007 (ruhrmentar)
- FAZ of February 22, 2011, page 27: The compost is organized
- Tony Cragg: Sculptures and Drawings . Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art One, July 30th to November 6th, 2011 [in English]
- Von der Heydt-Museum ( Memento of the original from April 25, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Cragg, Anthony Douglas (real name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||English visual artist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 9, 1949|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Liverpool|