|Canton :||Bern (BE)|
|Administrative district :||Emmental|
|BFS no. :||0901|
|Postal code :||3537|
|Height range :||685–1415 m above sea level M.|
|Area :||60.30 km²|
|Residents:||2440 (December 31, 2018)|
|Population density :||40 inhabitants per km²|
Old school building in Eggiwil
|Location of the municipality|
Eggiwil is located in the upper Emmental . Neighboring communities are Signau , Langnau , Röthenbach , Schangnau , Marbach , Trub and Trubschachen . The Emme and the Röthenbach , which flows into it here , flow through the municipality . The highest point is the Wachthubel at 1414 m above sea level. M., the deepest point is in the Aeschau at 690 m above sea level. M.
After the church was built (1631), Eggiwil became an independent municipality in 1648. In December 1632, the Landvogt von Signau accompanied the Berner-Münster pastor Dean Schmid to Eggiwil, where this noble gentleman had to give the sermon for the inauguration of the newly built church. The church was built on behalf of the gracious gentlemen as a gift to the Eggiwiler in order to counter the spread of the “Anabaptist heresy”. The plans for the church were drawn up by the master builder Daniel Heinz in Bern. The foundation stone of the church was laid on May 16, 1630. The costs were taken over by the gracious gentlemen and probably paid with money that came from the sale of farms and goods whose Anabaptist-minded owners had previously been expropriated. The Landvogt von Signau was entrusted with the supervision of the construction, who also had to compensate the craftsmen and other auxiliary workers, whereby the builders did not show themselves stingy. So the bailiff also provided food and drink. Barrels full of "Wyn" were brought from Bern to Eggiwyl.
Eggiwil is the typical example of a scattered settlement in the foothills of the Alps. The hills and "Chrächen" divide the community into different hamlets. There are six school buildings for the almost 2500 residents so that the way to school does not become infinitely long. Four of them are comprehensive schools .
- Nová Včelnice , Czech Republic
- Friedrich Eymann (1887–1954), Reformed theologian, educator and anthroposophist, from 1913 to 1928 as pastor in Eggiwil
- Simonetta Sommaruga (born May 14, 1960 in Zug , resident in Lugano and Eggiwil), Swiss politician (SP), Federal Councilor and Head of the Federal Department of Justice and Police (FDJP) since November 2010, Federal President in 2015.
- Bruno Brechbühl (* 1974), ice hockey player
- Nicholas Steiner (* 1991), ice hockey player
- Official website of the Eggiwil community
- Anne-Marie Dubler : Eggiwil. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland .
- Permanent resident population from STAT-TAB of the BfS , municipalities see also regional portraits 2020 on bfs.admin.ch, accessed on May 29, 2020
- History of the Eggiwil Church
- Results of the Eggiwil community. State Chancellery of the Canton of Bern, October 20, 2019, accessed on July 24, 2020 .