|coat of arms||Austria map|
|Political District :||Murau|
|License plate :||MU|
|Main town :||Teufenbach|
|Residents :||1,888 (January 1, 2020)|
|Postcodes :||8812, 8833, 8841, 8842, 8850|
|Primaries :||03582, 03588|
|Community code :||6 14 46|
|Address of the
|Mayoress :||Lydia Künstner-Stöckl ( SPÖ )|
Municipal Council : (Election year: 2020 )
|Location of Teufenbach-Katsch in the Murau district|
|Source: Municipal data from Statistics Austria|
Teufenbach-Katsch is a municipality in the judicial district and district of Murau in Styria . It was created at the beginning of 2015 as part of the municipal structural reform from the municipalities of Teufenbach and Frojach-Katsch, which were dissolved at the end of 2014 .
The towns of Frojach, Katsch and Teufenbach are centrally located in the Murau district, about ten kilometers from the district capital.
The municipality lies in a large group of the Central Alps in the Eastern Alps and is traversed by the Mur . The municipal area includes the foothills of the Styrian Katschtal and part of the upper Mur valley . Katsch is located northwest at the Katschtal entrance on the border between Schladminger Tauern and Wölzer Tauern respectively in the Murberg Mountains (parts of the Niedere Tauern ), Frojach (with Saurau) on the right in the Murtal in the Gurktal Alps , Teufenbach east in the Murtal at the valley entrance to the Neumarkter Sattel , already in the Seetal Alps , which are part of the Lavant Valley Alps .
At 1797 meters, the Pleschaitz is the highest mountain in the municipality and lies between Katsch and Wölztal (municipality border with Oberwölz). The Puxberg ( ) is its upstream valley spur between Mur and Wölztal. In the south, the community is separated from the Reuterbichl ( , south of Saurau) and the Blasenkogel ( , in Frojach) from Sankt Blasen .
The most important river in the municipality is the Mur, which enters the municipality in the west and leaves it in the east. Another body of water and feeder of the Mur is the Katschbach .
The municipal area comprises three localities or cadastral communities (population as of January 1, 2020; area 2016):
- Frojach (574 inhabitants, 2,447.94 ha)
- Katsch an der Mur (533 Ew.), KG Katsch (1,441.43 ha)
- Teufenbach (781 inhabitants, 343.07 ha)
All seven neighboring communities are in the Murau district.
|St. Peter am Kammersberg||Oberwölz||Niederwölz|
|Saint Lambrecht||Neumarkt in Styria|
Origin of Katsch, Frojach and Teufenbach
Katsch is first mentioned in 982 as Chaczi or Chats . Since the place became an important trading metropolis from the middle of the 11th century , it is later mentioned several times as Chatissa .
Teufenbach was first mentioned in a document about 1000 years ago. The Lords of Teuffenbach had belonged to the Styrian knighthood since the 13th century. The branch of the family that remained in Teufenbach died out in the 17th century. Teuffenbach Castle was bought by Prince Schwarzenberg in 1689 . Neu-Teuffenbach Castle, which was built in the village by Balthasar von Teufenbach from 1549, is now a senior citizens' home.
Changes since 1945
On December 31, 1948, Katsch was renamed "Katsch an der Mur". On January 1st, 1968 Katsch an der Mur was incorporated into Frojach and renamed "Frojach-Katsch" a year later.
On January 1st, 2015, the communities Frojach-Katsch and Teufenbach were merged into Teufenbach-Katsch.
The population of the community grew until the 14th century, as there was a good infrastructure and high-yield agriculture. Around 1450, however, settlements began to decline and farmers began to die down, triggered by a long-lasting agricultural crisis, unfavorable climate change and epidemics such as the plague . This decline is noticeable until the 15th century. In the second half of the 19th century there was a further decline in the population, as the farmers kept increasing their land holdings and thus displacing other farmers from the area. The population has been stable since around 1900.
Culture and sights
- Pux Castle , with castle chapel and castle ruins (Alt-Pux)
- Cave castle Puxer Luegg (Puxerloch) and Schallaun
- Catholic parish church Frojach hl. Andreas
- former Frojach rectory
- Catholic branch church Maria Dorn in Saurau
- Churchyard in Saurau
- Wayside shrine in Saurau
- Frojach-Katschtal station
- Roman Murtalstrasse
- Katsch castle ruins
- Catholic branch church St. Lorenzen ob Katsch
- Kropfmoarhaus (Gasthof Kropfmar)
- War memorial in Katsch
- Roman road station and settlement with burial ground in Katsch-Unterdorf
- Altteufenbach Castle
- Neu-Teuffenbach Castle (today retirement home)
- Faßhof / Vaßhof residence
- Catholic parish church Teufenbach hl. Margareta: with the former cemetery, wayside shrine at the cemetery
- Pfarrhof Teufenbach and Pfarrhofstöckl (today a club of the Teuffenbach costume club)
- Teufenbach train station
- Railway bridge of the Murtalbahn
- Niche shrine
The municipal council has 15 members.
- With the municipal elections in Styria in 2015 , the municipal council had the following distribution: 5 SPÖ, 5 List Mur - Hans Gruber & Team, 4 ÖVP and 1 FPÖ.
- With the municipal council elections in Styria 2020 , the municipal council has the following distribution: 7 SPÖ, 4 List Mur - Hans Gruber & Team, 3 ÖVP and 1 FPÖ.
- 2015 Wilhelm Schnedl (SPÖ)
- 2015–2019 Thomas Schuchnigg (ÖVP)
- since October 30, 2019 Lydia Künstner-Stöckl (SPÖ)
coat of arms
|Blazon : "Under a red, gold-lined shield head in silver with two black bars,covered in the middle with a gold Noric belt fitting,a dragon in confused colors ."|
|Coats of arms: Both predecessor municipalities each had a municipal coat of arms . Due to the amalgamation of municipalities, both lost their official validity on January 1st, 2015. The new municipal coat of arms for the merged municipality took place on October 10, 2017. The coat of arms is accordingly composed of parts of the two old municipality coats of arms. On the one hand, a bronze Noric belt fitting from the Roman provincial era, which was found in the municipality, is shown in the shield above. Gold and black are the colors of the Roman-German Empire , with red the coat of arms is reminiscent of the joy of colors in Norwegian women's costumes. In addition, the dragon, which was to be found on the coat of arms of the former municipality of Teufenbach, is added to the lower shield area.|
- 1958: Josef Genta, elementary school director (honorary citizen of the Katsch community)
- 1975: Matthias Reinmüller, Mayor of Katsch 1955–1967
- 1975: Konrad Schuchnigg, Mayor of Frojach 1946–1968, Mayor of Frojach-Katsch 1968–1975
- 1990: Erich Hable (1911–2001), teacher, ornithologist
- 1990: Georg Pranckh (1926–2005), politician of the ÖVP , mayor of Frojach-Katsch 1975–1983, member of the Styrian state parliament 1970–1981, member of the national council 1983–1986
- 1990: Franz Wallner, longtime community treasurer
- Walter Brunner : Frojach-Katsch: Diversity and unity of the long history of a small living space. 2005.
- Sepp Genta: Chatissa-Katsch. A contribution to the history of Katsch. 1957. (The only edition is kept in the Katsch elementary school)
- 61446 - Teufenbach-Katsch. Community data, Statistics Austria .
- teufenbach-katsch.gv.at Website of the municipality
- Styrian municipal structural reform .
- Statistics Austria: Population on January 1st, 2020 by locality (area status on January 1st, 2020) , ( CSV )
- Federal Office for Metrology and Surveying, Regional Information, reference date December 31, 2016, accessed on February 19, 2017
- Lit. Sepp Genta: Chatissa - Katsch. 1957.
- Lit. Walter Brunner: Frojach-Katsch. 2005, p. 36 ff
- Official Gazette. Styria. No. 252/1948
- LGBL. STMK. No. 138/1967
- Section 3, Paragraph 7, Item 1 of the Act of December 17, 2013 on the reorganization of the municipalities of the State of Styria ( Styrian Municipal Reform Act - StGsrG). Provincial Law Gazette for Styria of April 2, 2014, No. 31, year 2014, , p. 3.
- Lit. Walter Brunner: Frojach-Katsch. 2005, p. 39.
- Election result of the 2015 municipal council election in Teufenbach-Katsch. State of Styria, March 22, 2015, accessed on June 29, 2020 .
- Results of the municipal council election 2020 in Teufenbach-Katsch. State of Styria, June 28, 2020, accessed on June 29, 2020 .
- My mayor | Teufenbach-Katsch community. Retrieved January 18, 2020 .
- 87. Announcement of the Styrian state government of September 28, 2017 on the granting of the right to use a municipal coat of arms to the municipality of Teufenbach-Katsch (political district Murau). LGBl. STMK. No. 87/2017 (online, ris.bka.gv.at)
- Lit. Walter Brunner: Frojach-Katsch. 2005, p. 268.
- Georg Pranckh's biography at www.parlament.gv.at, accessed on December 29, 2017.