Auronzo di Cadore
|Auronzo di Cadore|
|Residents||3,222 (Dec. 31, 2019)|
|Population density||15 inhabitants / km²|
|Patron saint||Justina of Padua|
Auronzo di Cadore (often short Auronzo , until 1961 also the official name of the municipality) is a municipality with 3222 inhabitants (as of December 31, 2019) in northern Italy in the province of Belluno .
Auronzo is located in the Cadore in the valley of the Ansiei River , a tributary of the Piave , which has been dammed here to the Lago di Santa Caterina since the 1930s . Most of the municipality is mountainous. To the southwest lies the Marmarole group and to the west lies the Cadini group , the southern part of the Sexten Dolomites .
Other districts besides the main town Auronzo are Misurina on Lake Misurina (25 kilometers by road) and Cima Gogna (5 km away).
Neighboring communities are Dobbiaco and Sesto in South Tyrol in the north, Comelico Superiore , Danta di Cadore and Santo Stefano di Cadore in the east, Vigo di Cadore , Calalzo di Cadore , Lozzo di Cadore and San Vito di Cadore in the west and Cortina d'Ampezzo in the west .
History and economy
Up until the middle of the 19th century, the town's economy was characterized by mining and the timber industry. Today tourism is the most important economic factor; Auronzo is one of the most important tourist resorts in Cadore.
Are considered sights
- the Misurina Lake and the Dolomites , especially the Three Peaks with the Auronzo Hut ,
- the War Museum and the Open Air Museum of the First World War on Monte Piana ,
- the church of Santa Giustina and
- the Catholic Parish Church of San Lucano Vescovo . It was built as a dome structure between 1851 and 1856 according to plans by the architect Giuseppe Segusini (1801–1876). The carvings are by Valentino Panciera Besarèl (1829–1902) from the Val di Zoldo and the paintings by the Bellunese painter Giovanni De Min (1786–1859). The building has an octagonal floor plan with a square high altar room. Next to the church stands the bell tower built in 1927 on the site of the town's earlier church, which was built in Gothic style in 1439. It in turn replaced a church in the same place from 1352.
San Lucano Vescovo Church
In 1946 , 1948 , 1953 and 1973 Auronzo was the stage destination of the Giro d'Italia . The place is also popular with water sports enthusiasts; a canoe race and a motor boat race take place here every year. In winter there is a ski area with a total slope length of eleven kilometers, which is part of the Dolomiti Superski ski area network , and numerous cross-country trails .
Sons and daughters of the church
- Giuseppe Puliè (* 1964), cross-country skier
- Violetta Caldart (* 1969), curler
- Marco De Filippo (born 1990), ice hockey player
- Statistiche demografiche ISTAT. Monthly population statistics of the Istituto Nazionale di Statistica , as of December 31 of 2019.
- ISTAT - Unità amministrative, variazioni territoriali e di nome dal 1861 al 2000 - ISBN 88-458-0574-3
- Archived copy ( Memento of the original from May 28, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- http://www.infodolomiti.it/Allegati/PDFAlberghi/CadoreAuronzoMisurina.pdf ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Archive link ( Memento of the original from January 25, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Archive link ( Memento of the original from September 2, 2009 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.