Vincent Klink was born in Gießen in 1949 as the son of the official veterinarian Alfred Klink and grew up in Schwäbisch Gmünd with an older brother and four sisters. He spent his school days in a monastery boarding school of the boys' secondary school Heilig Kreuz of the Sacred Heart Missionaries in Donauwörth . After completing secondary school and a six-month internship in a butcher's shop, Klink did an apprenticeship with master chef Walter Haas (1922–1996) ( Waidhof ) in Inzlingen near Lörrach (1966–1969). Haas was considered a pioneer of nouvelle cuisine and often accompanied the German foreign minister as "ambassador of German cuisine" on visits abroad.
He then signed up for two years in the German Armed Forces, where he was employed as a cook and tank commander. From 1971 to 1972 he worked in Rudolf Katzenberger's Adler in Rastatt and from 1972 to 1974 in the Munich restaurant Humplmayr , which, according to him, was once “the most feudal bar for classic gourmands” in Germany. Klink's father, Haas and Katzenberger were members of the Confrérie de la Chaîne des Rôtisseurs , an international community of chefs and gourmets.
After taking the master craftsman's examination , Klink started his own business in 1974 at the age of 25 and opened his first restaurant with his wife Elisabeth, the Postillion in Schwäbisch Gmünd. The inn belonged to his father who had previously leased it. He made his son an offer to take it over, otherwise it would have been sold. If Klink had the choice again, he would not have to face the associated hardships again. The Postillion already had a Michelin star in 1978 .
Vincent Klink has been running the Wielandshöhe restaurant in Stuttgart - Degerloch since 1991 , with a total of ten cooks, eight employees for service and other staff. A large part of his kitchen workforce are now (2015) career changers and most of the academics. In 1998 this kitchen was also awarded a Michelin star, which it lost in 2001 and which was awarded again in 2002 after a year without a star. Klink attaches great importance to the ecological cultivation of vegetables and animal welfare . He supports regional, organic farmers and gardeners whom he has personally visited beforehand.
Its gastronomic offer is described as "classic-modern cuisine with Swabian and Mediterranean influences"; he himself describes it as a “kitchen in the same climate zone” . In 2018, the restaurant critic Jakob Strobel y Serra described Klink's kitchen with only a few “concessions to the high-end kitchen” as “perfected home-style cooking with complete renunciation of refinement or alienation” [...] “which is so sinfully seductive despite its simplicity”. [...] "Vincent Klink is not about experimenting, it's about preserving."
From 1986 to 1992 Vincent Klink was the editor and author of the magazine Rübe , a magazine for culinary literature in Haffmans Verlag . Then he devoted himself to Cotta's Culinary Almanac , which he edited for ten years at Klett-Cotta . The poet and spokesman for the Enlightenment, Christoph Martin Wieland , gave its name to Klink's Restaurant Wielandshöhe . Together with the writer Wiglaf Droste , Klink published the quarterly magazine " Chief Own Hearth " from 1999 to 2013 .
From 2004 to 2007 Klink published the journal culinaire every six months , which initially appeared under the title Campus Culinaire . The cultural studies articles in the magazine are devoted to the topic of eating and drinking. At the end of 2009, Klink published his autobiography on childhood and adolescence ( Sitting Küchenbull. Peppered memories of a cook ). He himself also became the subject of literature, namely as a fictional character or prison cook in the crime satire Der Mullah von Bullerbü by Wiglaf Droste and Gerhard Henschel . Klink published the culinary travel guide A belly walks through Paris (2015) and a homage to the first modern gourmet and founder of gastronomy criticism Alexandre Balthazar Laurent Grimod de la Reynière (2016).
Appearances in films and on television
Klink became known to a larger audience through the television cooking programs ARD-Buffet and Kochkunst (1997–2015). For the three-part series EpochenKochen (2014), Klink cooked historical dishes from Romans, knights and citizens at original locations . In February 2015, the SWR TV series got off to a really good start! Klink & Nett with the restaurant owner and cook Susanne Nett , in which old Palatinate dishes are reinterpreted.
He had one of his first film appearances in the crook comedy c (r) ook by Pepe Danquart , in which he played a cook. In 2002 he had a guest role as a cooking judge in the final sequence of the crime scene crime thriller Alibi for Amelie . Klink played the chairman of a gourmet club in a supporting role in the 2009 television film It's on my Tongue .
Klink is a jazz lover and musician. In his spare time he used to play the flute . In October 2005 he performed together with the trumpeter Till Brönner . Since 2008 he has also played bass flugelhorn and trumpet. In 2008 he performed with the mezzo-soprano Helene Schneiderman in a matinee to the music of Rossini on the island of Mainau .
Since 2009 Klink has been playing with his friend jazz pianist Patrick Bebelaar . You have been a guest at major festivals such as Lit.Cologne and the Baden-Württemberg Literature Days . The joint CD Stupor Mundi (dml-records) was awarded the German Record Critics' Prize in 2015.
In November 2006, Klink took part in an Internet initiative against green genetic engineering , which was also supported by environmental, nature conservation and church associations as well as consumer advocates. He also runs a beekeeping, just like his grandfather .
In 2017, Klink had to pay additional taxes of 16,000 euros because he had not specified in his employment contracts that no staff meals would be served on either of the rest days.
Vincent Klink has been married since 1974. He has two children, a son from a previous relationship and a daughter with his wife Elisabeth who works with her mother for the service of their Wielandshöhe restaurant .
- In 2000 Klink was a founding member of the German Academy for Culinary Studies , which is dedicated to the scientific processing of food and drink.
- Slow food
- In 2010, Klink was awarded the International Eckart Witzigmann Prize in the category of the cultural topic of food in literature, science and the media . According to the jury, Klink combines “the craft of cooking with the craft of writing, making music and television entertainment in an outstanding and at the same time wonderful way”.
- In 2014 Vincent Klink was awarded the Order of Merit of the State of Baden-Württemberg .
- with Hans-Albert Stechl and Felicitas Wehnert: Cooking art with Vincent Klink . G. Braun, Karlsruhe 1998, ISBN 3-7650-8194-9 .
- with Norbert Salenbauch and Volker Kriegel : Al dente. Culinary delights despite dental treatment. Recipes, tips & advice for dental patients with chewing difficulties . Edition q in Quintessenz Verlag, Berlin 1999, ISBN 3-86124-354-7 .
- From the market to the table . G. Braun, Karlsruhe 2000, ISBN 3-7650-8248-1 . (Book accompanying the program)
- Eva Gesine Baur (ed.): Eating and drinking with poetry. Contributions by Vincent Klink. This for one and that for that . dtv , Munich 2000, ISBN 3-423-24218-3 .
- with Wiglaf Droste and Nikolaus Heidelbach: Wurst. DuMont literature and art, Cologne 2006, ISBN 3-8321-7992-5 . (Reviews :)
- Vincent and the wooden spoon gang. Delicious and healthy. Cooking for children . Esslinger-Verlag, Esslingen 2007, ISBN 978-3-480-22381-7 .
- with Wiglaf Droste and Nikolaus Heidelbach : Christmas . DuMont Literature and Art Verlag, Cologne 2007, ISBN 978-3-8321-8037-9 .
- Koch & Klink. Real kitchen guys. Otto Koch & Vincent Klink cook with heart and mind. Edel Motion , ARD-Buffet , Hamburg 2007, hardcover, ISBN 978-3-940507-00-6 , with DVD , 130 minutes.
- Real KüchenKerle 2: Organic tastes better! Edel Motion, Hamburg 2008, ISBN 978-3-940507-01-3 , with DVD , 120 minutes.
- with Wiglaf Droste and FK Waechter : We continue to buckle our belts. An essence from “Chief's Own Hearth”. Reclam-Verlag , Ditzingen 2008, ISBN 978-3-15-020158-9 .
- My kitchen. Gräfe and Unzer , Munich 2008, ISBN 978-3-8338-0982-8 .
- Sitting kitchen bull. Peppered memories of a cook. Rowohlt Verlag, Reinbek 2009, ISBN 978-3-498-03546-4 . (Reviews:)
- My Mediterranean cuisine . Gräfe and Unzer, Munich 2010, ISBN 978-3-8338-1922-3 .
- with Wiglaf Droste and Nikolaus Heidelbach: Wild . DuMont, Cologne 2010, ISBN 978-3-8321-9605-9 .
- with Wiglaf Droste and Nikolaus Heidelbach: love . DuMont, Cologne 2011, ISBN 978-3-8321-9688-2 .
- with Wiglaf Droste and Nikolaus Heidelbach: Vegetables . DuMont, Cologne 2011, ISBN 978-3-8321-9652-3 .
Always follow your stomach. Culinary trips. Rowohlt, Reinbek 2011, ISBN 978-3-499-62714-9 .
as audio book, 1 CD, 76 min., ISBN 978-3-89964-416-6 .
- Full of vegetables with Vincent Klink - 120 essential recipes and 40 stories. Rowohlt, Reinbek 2015, ISBN 978-3-499-63077-4 .
- A belly walks through Paris . Rowohlt, Reinbek 2015, ISBN 978-3-498-03564-8 . (TV interview about the book :)
- My recipes for heartache. Rowohlt Taschenbuch Verlag, Reinbek 2017, ISBN 978-3-499-63328-7 .
- Arranged, hearty and spicy! From my diary and recipe book. Klöpfer & Meyer Verlag, Tübingen 2018, ISBN 978-3-86351-471-6 .
- A stomach strolls through Vienna , Ullstein, Berlin 2019, ISBN 978-3550200663 .
- with Pepe Danquart : Gängster cookbook . Edition Vincent Klink, Stuttgart 2004, ISBN 3-927350-75-3 .
- Vincent Klink Serves: Basics of Gastronomic Decency, by Alexandre Balthazar Laurent Grimod de la Reynière . Rowohlt, Reinbek 2016, ISBN 978-3-498-05656-8 . By and about Balthazar Grimod de la Reynière (1758–1837), “Gourmand of the first hour and founder of gastronomy criticism”; ( Reading sample , PDF; 1.2 MB).
- with Stephan Opitz and Joseph von Westphalen : The Raven. Magazine for culinary literature , No. 18, Haffmans, Zurich 1987
- with Stephan Opitz: The turnip. Magazine for culinary literature . Haffmans, Zurich 1988/92.
- with Stephan Opitz: Cotta's Culinary Almanac . To the year ... Volume 1 (1993) - Volume 5 (1998)
- with Wiglaf Droste: Chief's own stove. We continue to buckle our belt . The small intermediate high; Texts and images on the culinary arts; Quarterly magazine for literature . Edition Vincent Klink, Stuttgart 1999–2013. Campus culinaire. International writings and images on the culture of dining . Edition Vincent Klink, Stuttgart 2004.
- with Karin Becker and Thomas A. Vilgis : focus on Islam. Kitchen, table, table manners and rituals . 2004, ISBN 3-927350-81-8 .
- with Barbara Häusler and Thomas Vilgis: journal culinaire . Edition Vincent Klink, Stuttgart 2005-2007.
- Table manners . 2005, ISBN 3-927350-82-6 .
- Food in art. 2006, ISBN 3-927350-83-4 .
- Globalization of food . 2007, ISBN 978-3-927350-84-7 .
- Food allergies and intolerances . 2007, ISBN 978-3-927350-85-4 .
- Taste formation. Applications, forum, reviews . 2007, ISBN 978-3-927350-86-1 .
- Cooking perspectives . 2008, ISBN 978-3-941121-06-5 .
- Cooking with stevia. Forum, reviews . 2008, ISBN 978-3-941121-07-2 .
- Wine culture. Cooking project, forum, reviews . 2009, ISBN 978-3-941121-08-9 .
- Flesh. Cooking project, forum, reviews . 2009, ISBN 978-3-941121-09-6 .
- Grain. Forum . 2010, ISBN 978-3-941121-10-2 .
- Fish. Cooking project. Forum . 2010, ISBN 978-3-941121-11-9 .
- The salt in the soup - Vincent Klink. Documentary film, Germany, 2015, 58:26 min., Script and director: Guido Lukoschek, production: Odyssee Film, SWR , series: Der Dokumentarfilm , first broadcast: November 1, 2015 on SWR, synopsis by SWR, online video available until April 6, 2019.
- Epoch cooking - how the knights dined. Documentary, Germany, 2014, 44:45 min., Moderation: Vincent Klink, Heike Greis , production: Spiegel TV , SWR , series: Epochenkochen , first broadcast: December 26, 2014, online video from Spiegel TV.
- Literature by and about Vincent Klink in the catalog of the German National Library
- Vincent Klink in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Restaurant Wielandshöhe
- really good! Klink & Nice. - SWR series, from 2015
- Edition Vincent Klink
- journal culinaire
- Who's Who of the Chefs - Vincent Klink. In: Restaurant-Ranglisten.de
- ha: Vincent Klink, German cook. In: Munzinger Archive , October 8, 2013.
- Vincent Klink: Sitting kitchen bull. Peppered memories of a cook. In: Google books , 2009, excerpt: Chapter house slaughter .
- Manuel Wenzel: After more than 125 years: The boarding school closes its doors. In: Augsburger Allgemeine . January 19, 2016, accessed on January 20, 2016 : “What do TV chef Vincent Klink, actor Josef Bierbichler and bank manager Kurt Viermetz have in common? They were all boarding school students in Donauwörth. "
- Jo: Loerrach. Gasthaus Waidhof is for sale. A family era ends. In: Badische Zeitung , December 16, 2011.
- Vincent Klink: From Nouvelle Cuisine to today. In: GermanWine.de , May 2004.
- Vincent Klink: The long, humiliating way to become a chef. In: Die Welt , December 5, 2009.
- "How do you actually become a star chef, Mr. Klink?" In: FAZ- Hochschulanzeiger , June 20, 2005.
- Vincent Klink: Restaurant Guides. In: Nachgesalzen , November 18, 2006.
- Daniel Böniger: A cook digs through the food. In: Tages-Anzeiger , May 15, 2015.
- Christian Mayer: "God knows everything - but not what's in the sausage." In: Süddeutsche Zeitung , October 31, 2015, interview.
- Gregor Delvaux de Fenffe: Portrait: Vincent Klink. In: Planet Wissen , December 5, 2003.
- Jakob Strobel y Serra: It takes little to be smart. In: FAZ , September 28, 2018.
- Christoph Martin Wieland. In: wielandshoehe.de , November 9, 2012.
- Recipes: Cooking with Vincent Klink. In: SWR , September 4, 2015, accessed on February 1, 2018.
Epoch cooking - 2,000 years of food history. ( Memento from March 25, 2016 in the Internet Archive ). In: SWR , 23 December 2014.
Online video: Epoch cooking - how the Romans ate. In: Spiegel TV , 2014.
- really good! Klink & Nice. In: SWR , accessed on March 19, 2016.
- Roswitha Frey: It started here with cooking and jazz. In: Badische Zeitung , April 21, 2011.
- Vincent Klink - TV chef. ( Memento of September 30, 2007 in the Internet Archive ). In: 3 nach 9 / Radio Bremen , May 27, 2005.
- Cover picture of the cookbook "Koch-Kunst" (1998) in: buchhandel.de .
- Till Brönner meets the master chef Vincent Klink and the author Wiglaf Droste. ( Memento of September 27, 2007 in the Internet Archive ). In: Bundeskunsthalle Bonn , October 14, 2005.
- Brigitte Neumann: “Now I'm just getting started.” In: Deutschlandradio , December 24, 2008.
- Erik Raidt and Achim Wörner: From karaoke to church music. ( Memento from February 12, 2013 in the web archive archive.today ). In: Stuttgarter Zeitung , August 6, 2008, interview with Helene Schneiderman.
- Patrick Bebelaar : Brothers in the Spirit / Always after the belly. Patrick Bebelaar and Vincent Klink. In: bebelaar.de , 2009.
- Best list 1-2015, border crossings. In: German Record Critics ' Award , February 19, 2015.
- Internet initiative. Vincent Klink against genetic engineering. In: bioPress.de , October 31, 2006.
- Vincent Klink: Battle Festival. In: Tagesspiegel , September 3, 2006.
- Vincent Klink: Happy garden bee. In: Nachgesaltzen , August 15, 2008.
- Uwe Bogen: Vincent Klink is angry with the "predatory state". In: Stuttgarter Zeitung , February 17, 2017.
- Alexander Hagelüken and Hannah Wilhelm: Let's talk about money: Vincent Klink. In: Süddeutsche Zeitung , April 10, 2009, interview.
- Vincent Klink: Vincent's Diary 2013. In: wielandshoehe.de , 2013.
- German Academy for Culinary Studies. ( Memento of March 5, 2016 in the Internet Archive ). In: abseits.de , (gastronomy portal ).
- Vincent Klink: For strong nerves. In: Nachgesalted , December 27, 2009.
- Prize winners 2010. In: Internationale Eckart Witzigmann Preisgesellschaft , accessed October 14, 2018.
- Photo: Prime Minister Winfried Kretschmann and Vincent Klink and Kretschmann awards the state's Order of Merit. In: State Ministry of Baden-Württemberg , May 3, 2014.
Frank Lorentz: A Metaphor for Life. Droste, Heidelbach and Klink are writing a book about "sausage". In: Welt am Sonntag , September 3, 2006 and
Alexander Maier: “Because the sausage dies last.” ( Memento from April 13, 2008 in the Internet Archive ). In: Eßlinger Zeitung , November 22, 2006.
- Vincent Klink: Pilgrimage to God in France. In: Tagesspiegel , November 29, 2009.
- Anne Thiem: Kitchen philosophy from the Wielandshöhe. Sitting kitchen bull. ( Memento of February 4, 2010 in the Internet Archive ). In: Stuttgarter Zeitung , November 29, 2009.
- Armin Kratzert : Vincent Klink: A stomach walks through Paris. ( Memento from March 25, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) In: eBooks , October 19, 2015, TV interview, 8 min.
- The cookbook for the film Basta - Rotwein oder Totsein
- Predecessor publication of Cotta's Culinary Almanac magazine
- Previous publication of Journal Culinaire
- Journal culinaire from Volume 6 by Edition Wurzer & Vilgis , Münster.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German chef, author, television chef, editor and publisher of culinary literature|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 29, 1949|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Schwäbisch Gmünd|