James Allen Gähres
Live and act
Gähres studied music , conducting , composition and piano at the Peabody Conservatory of Music in Baltimore , where he was the musical assistant to the Peabody Symphony Orchestra in his final year, as well as receiving a Fulbright scholarship from Hans Swarowsky at the University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna . He completed master classes with Bruno Maderna in Salzburg .
In the early 1970s, James A. Gähres worked as a freelance composer and pianist in southern Germany . He then worked as a conductor at several German opera houses , including ten years as first conductor at the Lower Saxony State Opera in Hanover , where he conducted around 15 different productions per season . This was followed by a three-year engagement as first Kapellmeister at the Braunschweig State Theater .
James Allen Gähres has repeatedly worked as a guest conductor at the New York City Opera , at the Heidelberg Music Festival , at the Polish National Theater in Posen ( Teatr Wielki (Posen) ), with the German Symphony Orchestra Berlin , the NDR Radiophilharmonie Hanover and the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra . Götz Friedrich invited James Gähres to the Deutsche Oper Berlin to conduct the German premiere of Leonard Bernstein's Candide - Scottish Opera version - in a production by John Dew with Donald George in the title role.
In 1989 James A. Gähres conducted a Beethoven festival concert in the Salle Pleyel in Paris and on October 3, 1990, invited by the Fritz-Busch Society, conducted a gala performance of the 9th Symphony by Ludwig van Beethoven with the orchestra of the Philharmonie Südwestfalen on the occasion of the 1st anniversary of German reunification . James Allen Gähres has conducted the Lower Saxony Youth Symphony Orchestra several times and has been touring with this orchestra repeatedly, for example in Israel , Spain , the USA and Canada . Gähres made guest appearances with the Landes-Jugend-Symphonie-Orchester Saar in France and was invited to England with the same orchestra in April 1994 to conduct several concerts in Oxford .
From 1994 to 2011 James Allen Gähres was General Music Director at the Ulm Theater , where he directed several opera productions per season. James A. Gähres also conducted all Philharmonic concerts during this period, including all of Ludwig van Beethoven's and Johannes Brahms' symphonies, as well as the violin and piano concertos by these composers. Symphonies , piano and violin concertos and other works by Johann Sebastian Bach , Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart , Anton Bruckner , Franz Schubert , Robert Schumann , Hector Berlioz , Modest Mussorgski , Dmitri Shostakovich , Sergei Rachmaninow , Antonín Dvořák , William Schuman , Aaron Copland , Samuel Barber , Ralph Vaughan Williams , Gustav Holst , Edward Elgar , Charles Ives , Rodion Schtschedrin , Pjotr Iljitsch Tschaikowski , Richard Wagner , Gustav Mahler , Felix Mendelssohn , Jean Sibelius , Max Bruch , Alban Berg , Béla Bartók and Richard Strauss . At the same time, Gähres led the Philharmonic Orchestra of the City of Ulm as chief conductor . James Allen Gähres' concert repertoire includes works from the Viennese Classical period , the music of the Romantic period and the emotional modernist works of Béla Bartók. James Gähres made his successful debut as general music director at the Ulm Theater in September 1994, conducting the opera Der Rosenkavalier by Richard Strauss. Angela Denoke sang the title role in this production. This was also Angela Denoke's debut as Field Marshal . James A. Gähres' opera repertoire includes: Rigoletto , Carmen , Doktor Faust (Busoni) , Il trovatore , Otello , Così fan tutte , Die Zauberflöte , La forza del destino , Norma , Attila , Macbeth , Le nozze di Figaro , Don Giovanni , Idomeneo , La Bohème , Madama Butterfly , Werther , The Flying Dutchman , Tosca , Eugen Onegin , Elektra , Fidelio , The Ring of the Nibelung , Tannhäuser , Andrea Chénier , The Rosenkavalier , Ariadne auf Naxos , A Florentine Tragedy , The Dwarf , Bluebeard's Castle , Wozzeck , The Dead City and Salome . In his position as General Music Director, James Allen Gähres established the tradition of the New Year's Concerts and the Herbert von Karajan Memorial Concerts, played with the Philharmonic Orchestra of the City of Ulm in the Ulm Theater and in the CCU Einsteinsaal in Ulm . In addition, the Sound Circle Music (SCM) label released more than 15 CD recordings during his time as chief conductor, including the first live recordings of Carmen-Suite after Bizet , Self-Portrait and Two Tangos by Albéniz by Rodion Shchedrin .
As a guest conductor James A. Gähres conducted among other Rigoletto at Opera House Dortmund , at the Stuttgart State Opera , he conducted Rigoletto and Norma , as well as The Magic Flute at the Bavarian State Opera in Munich . He was invited to the Teatro San Carlo in Naples to conduct a symphony concert with works by Beethoven and Bartók . Gähres conducted the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra at concerts in Regensburg and the Erfurt Philharmonic Orchestra at several symphony concerts , including Tchaikovsky's 1st Piano Concerto op.23 in B minor and the 5th Symphony in D minor op.47 by Shostakovich , on Theater Erfurt . James A. Gähres was guest conductor of the West Virginia Symphony Orchestra in Charleston , West Virginia , as well as the Meininger Hofkapelle in Meiningen , where he gave a concert with works by Hector Berlioz , Ottorino Respighi , Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky and Felix Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor, Op. 64 directed.
In 2008 James Allen Gähres was invited to the Meininger Theater to conduct the opera Andrea Chénier by Umberto Giordano . He conducted other performances by Andrea Chénier in January and February 2011 at the Deutsche Oper Berlin . That same year, James A. conducted Gähres invited by Ulf Schirmer , the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra in The Magic Flute by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart at the Leipzig Opera House .
James A. Gähres conducted several New Year's concerts by the TfN Philharmonic of the Theater for Lower Saxony in Hildesheim in January 2016 . James Gähres conducted other concerts in June 2016 at the 1st LA PALMA FESTIVAL DE MÚSICA in the Teatro Circo de Marte, Santa Cruz de La Palma . On June 15, 2016 a symphony concert with Ludwig van Beethoven's 7th Symphony and the 1st violin concerto by Max Bruch , another concert on June 18, 2016 with The Hebrides by Felix Mendelssohn , the Concerto for Violoncello No. 1 in A minor, Op. 33 by Camille Saint-Saëns and the 1st piano concerto by Brahms op.15 in D minor.
- Parts from the tetralogy ' Der Ring des Nibelungen ' by Richard Wagner ; Philharmonic Orchestra Ulm. Conductor: James Allen Gähres. SCM 66212
- Symphony concerts ; Angela Denoke (soprano), Tamás Füzesi (violin), Ulm Philharmonic Orchestra. Conductor: James Allen Gähres. SCM 66208
- Johann Strauss 1899-1999; On the beautiful blue Danube - New Years concerts ; Philharmonic Orchestra Ulm. Conductor: James Allen Gähres. SCM 66209
- Christmas concert ; Philharmonic Orchestra Ulm. Conductor: James Allen Gähres. SCM 66214
- Great moments Vol. 1, First Live Recordings of Carmen-Suite after Bizet, Self-portrait and Two tangos by Albéniz by Rodion Shchedrin ; Philharmonic Orchestra Ulm. Conductor: James Allen Gähres. SCM 66220
- Angela Denoke: Singer of the Year 1999 - a reminder of the years in Ulm ; Angela Denoke (soprano), Ulm Philharmonic Orchestra. Conductor: James Allen Gähres. SCM 66213
- Requiem, (KV 626) and Maurerische Funeral Music, (KV 477) by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart ; Ulmer Kantorei, Philharmonic Orchestra Ulm. Conductor: James Allen Gähres. SCM 66217
- 5th Piano Concerto , op. 73 by Ludwig van Beethoven and Symphonic Dances , op. 45 by Sergej Rachmaninow ; Philharmonic Orchestra Ulm. Conductor: James Allen Gähres. SCM 66211
- Coriolan Overture , op. 62 and the 5th Symphony , op. 67 by Ludwig van Beethoven ; Philharmonic Orchestra Ulm. Conductor: James Allen Gähres. SCM 66210
- Works by and about James Allen Gähres in the catalog of the German National Library
- Brief portrait ( Memento from October 5, 2008 in the Internet Archive ), Theater Ulm
- Portrait of James Allen Gähres ( memento from May 29, 2016 in the web archive archive.today ), Kultiversum
- Portrait of James Allen Gähres, General Music Director , Theater Ulm
- James Allen Gähres , YouTube
- Harrisburg Telegraph from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, page 6 (August 9, 1943) Announcements . Accessed August 9, 2018.
- Schniederjürgen, Axel. Kürschner's Handbook of Musicians, 2006, page 130, Publisher: De Gruyter, ISBN 978-3598242120 Gähres, James Allen Accessed May 25, 2016.
- Hammer, Sabine. Oper in Hannover, 1990, published by Schlütersche Verlagsgesellschaft , ISBN 3877062989  Accessed June 5, 2016.
- Archive Theater Heidelberg Heidelberger Schlossfestspiele - Conductor Accessed April 20, 2017.
- Large song dictionary. Volume 4 by Karl-Josef Kutsch , Leo Riemens George, Donald - Tenor.Accessed 25 May 2016.
- Boosey & Hawkes, the home of contemporary music Calendar May1989 - Leonard Bernstein: Candide ( Memento of May 10, 2017 in the Internet Archive ). Accessed May 25, 2016.
- Program of the Deutsche Oper Berlin Bernstein, Candide. Accessed May 25, 2016.
- Youth Symphony Orchestra Lower Saxony "Previous Conductors" ( Memento from December 20, 2014 in the Internet Archive ). Accessed May 25, 2016.
- Landes-Jugend-Symphonie-Orchester-Saar "Previous conductors" Previous guest conductors ( Memento from May 25, 2016 in the Internet Archive ). Accessed May 25, 2016.
- "General Music Director, Theater Ulm" Archive website Theater Ulm. Accessed May 25, 2016.
- "The era of James Allen Gähres at the Ulm Theater" , in the book 'Musikland Baden-Württemberg: Basis und Spitze', page 181 ff., Publisher: Kohlhammer, ISBN 978-3170194281  . Accessed May 25, 2016.
- Kanold, Jürgen (May 26, 2011) World star Angela Denoke ( Memento from May 25, 2016 in the Internet Archive ), Südwest Presse . Accessed May 25, 2016.
- Denoke, Angela (May 26, 2011) Marschallin ( Memento from May 25, 2016 in the Internet Archive ), Südwest Presse . Accessed May 25, 2016.
- Official Herbert von Karajan - online archive Herbert von Karajan Memorial Concerts Accessed on May 25, 2016.
- Great Moments Vol. 1 Ulm Philharmonic, James Allen Gähres, Shchedrin.Retrieved May 25, 2016.
- Schniederjürgen, Axel. Kürschner's Handbook of Musicians, 2006, page 130 Gähres, James Allen Accessed May 25, 2016.
- Charleston Daily Mail (August 2, 1999) Guest conductor puts on a great concert. Accessed May 25, 2016.
- Osthessen News (March 14, 2008) "Very difficult and very nice" . Accessed May 25, 2016.
- Deutsche Oper Berlin "Andrea Chénier" , magazine of the Deutsche Oper Berlin, No. 10, season 2010-11, page 29. Accessed May 25, 2016.
- HAZ Redaktion (January 3, 2016) "How the past becomes the present" , Hildesheimer Allgemeine Zeitung . Accessed May 25, 2016.
- La Revista de Ocio y Cultura de La Palma (10 May 2016) "Intérpretes de renombre internacional en the Festival de Música de La Palma" . Accessed May 25, 2016.
- Festival de Música Concert June 15, 2016 , Asociación Cultural Amigos Palmeros de la Opera. Accessed May 25, 2016.
- El Time (June 16, 2016) Los sonidos imposibles de Silberger . Accessed July 9, 2016.
- Festival de Música Concert June 18, 2016 , Asociación Cultural Amigos Palmeros de la Opera. Accessed May 25, 2016.
- El Time (June 19, 2016) Culmina el Festival de Música de La Palma con 'broche de oro' . Accessed July 9, 2016.
|SURNAME||Gähres, James Allen|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American conductor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 5, 1943|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Harrisburg, Pennsylvania|